A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 313,928
Currently Running With Scissors:
266 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's "penny" modification fiasco  (Read 1847 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

anky
« on: May 29, 2006 08:45:01 PM »

Here's how my modifications to knitty's "penny" turned out. As you can see it doesn't fit my dog quite right. He's a jack russel X Pug and so has a funny body shape with pretty wide chest and shoulders. You can see the fat rolls spilling out over the top. Does anyone have a pattern that might be suitable and fit him better? I'm not that keen on measuring and doing the maths to make up my own. I also want to make a bigger one for my cocker spaniel.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

YourDadsMistress
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006 08:47:27 PM »

I cant help you.. I dont know anything about Knitting. BUT I gotta say.. your dog is adorable. We got 3 pugs... pure blood but I love the mixture yours has. CUTEEEE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FunkyMonkeyDesigns
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006 10:25:36 PM »

http://www.thedietdiary.com/cgi-bin/chart_dog.pl     You will have to measure your dog and input those measurments, but then it will give you custom directions and you can even print them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boarderchic
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006 01:25:55 AM »

It looks like you could knit the neckline to come a little higher and that might keep his neck rolls from spilling out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrincessJazz
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006 03:27:54 AM »

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kff-dogSweater.html?noImages=0

I've made this dog sweater twice and it turned out alright.  (I didn't use fun fur though.)

I like the sweater you've done.  It's very nice.  And so is your dog.

Jazz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nycteris
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006 09:40:09 AM »

I like the sweater, but I love your dog.  So cute, so beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
detritus
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006 07:15:34 PM »

I ran into similar problems when I tried to knit a sweater for my dog. She's a pit bull/border collie mix so she had some of the same fitting issues: much wider chest and neck in proportion to her skinny tummy. I ended up using a pattern generator type thing where I entered in a lot of measurements and did a lot of math. That pattern is long lost, and I don't think you need to go through the trouble anyway. Ribbing is pretty forgiving in terms of fit...

Making the neckline higher will probably hide the skin rolls, but it won't solve the problem of that fold along his back. The best way to solve that problem (which will also help a bit with the neckline issue) is to work short rows in the chest before working the holes for his legs (assuming you are working from the neck down). The added rows will let the neckline in front go higher, and the added room in the chest will keep the sweater from pulling the neck down in back. It should also be more comfortable for your dog. Just be sure to wrap the stitches when you turn the work to prevent holes.
Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
April 25, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Scrappy Hearts
It's Pee-wee's Playhouse!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...