A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 318,336
Currently Running With Scissors:
341 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Curved Bottom Purse-Black and Stripes-Summer version done!TUTORIAL ADDED! Pg4  (Read 31798 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alymela
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2006 03:29:56 PM »

Those are beautiful, I especially love the white one-cute fabric..I never see such cute fabric at my local Joan's maybe I need to go to one of the  super stores   Huh

Would love the tut as well..when you get a chance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitkabbit
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2006 07:39:39 AM »

Oh please do make us a tutorial!  I love how it's such a tidy purse, all the corners curve so nicely.
I really want to try it!

* kitkabbit drools

thanks so much for sharing!
~kat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shorty3boys

Life is short, JEEP nekid!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2006 07:42:11 AM »

SmileySO CUTE!
I love the black one. They are both very professional looking.
Sweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An apple a day keeps anyone away if you throw it at them hard enough Smiley

MY Wists.....
http://www.wists.com/dirtyjeepgirl75
Myspace.....
http://www.myspace.com/shorty3boys

My Ravelry ID: shorty3boys
courtlet
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2006 07:59:58 AM »

Oooh! I love the striped bag...ok, I love the other one too. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thismomsews
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2006 07:57:34 PM »

WOW! Thanks for all the compliments!  I wanted to let you know that I have a tutorial in the works....I've been out of town and this week we've been celebrating our little guy's 2nd birthday! 

All the wonderful details coming soon!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thismomsews
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2006 08:13:53 PM »

Finally!  I am so sorry it took me so long to get this tutorial up here-I hope it was worth the wait!  Life has been a little hectic lately.  I'll stop rambling now.  By the way this is my first tutorial!  

Tutorial
this tutorial shows how to make a purse or tote bag with two main panels joined with a side piece that forms the sides and bottom of the bag.  This was designed by me.  I have seen some similar to this, but I did not use a bought pattern or copy anyone else.  If it is similar, it just means that we had the same great idea!  

you can make a purse like this https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=97587.0
(see link for more pics)

or a tote like this  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=97509.0
(see link for more pics)

materials (I'm not listing yardage, because that depends on the size you want)
-front/back panel fabric
-side panel fabric
-lining fabric
-straps fabric
-interfacing
-closure that you want

the pictures shown in directions below are for a purse
front/back panels 9.5w x 7h
side panels 3.5w x 23h
pockets 9.5w x 5h
straps 2 w x 22h

cutting the pieces
 front and back panels:
-cut 2 panels  of outer fabric, 2 panels of lining fabric, 4 panels of interfacing
-cut panels the size you want, then cut a curve in the bottom corners (I used a plastic lid to make the curve-it is only 1/2" in from the corner)

 side panel:
-using a flexible tape measure, measure along the sides and the bottom of the front/back panel piece
-everything but the top-this is how long your side piece needs to be (or measure the sides and the bottom, add the three measurements up and then you will have a little left over after you sew that you can cut off -due to the curve)
-once you have figured out the length, decide on the width-for totes, the largest width I have used is 6 and for the purses I used 3
-cut 1 outer fabric,1 lining fabric, 2 interfacing

 interfacing:
I use fusible fleece interfacing on all of my pieces except the pocket material-this is what makes the bag stand on its own even when it is empty.  You can use other types of interfacing or none at all  (but your bag will not have much stability without it)  
-cut interfacing to the size of all pieces you want interfaced and  iron on if necessary

 pockets:
-I use slip pockets, but you can put in any kind you want
-to make slip pockets, I use one layer of canvas fabric with the top edge finished in some way
(if you are using thinner fabric you may want to interface your pockets, or use two layers of fabric)
-I machine baste around the pocket edges to my main lining panel and sew dividing lines if I want them

 straps:
-cut 4 straps the desired length, and 2 times the desired width
-fold in half lengthwise and iron, open,  then fold raw edges to the middle and iron
-sew two strips together lengthwise close to each edge with the raw edges in the inside
-repeat for the other strap
(you can lay in batting or fleece in the straps before sewing them to make them padded)

(this pic does not show the handles or the flap)

Sewing
 Outside:
- Start with one of the outer front/back panels and the outer side panel right sides together
-  Place the side panel on top, and pin down the right side to just above where the front panel starts to curve
-  Slow down as you to come to the curve
-  Start pulling the side panel to the left so it lines up with the edge of the curved panel only a little at a time-GO SLOW and pivot with the needle down slightly to adjust to the curve or it will not lie nicely

-  Continue around curve then line up straight edges along bottom and sew
-  Slow down and do other curve like before
- Now line up straight edges again and sew up the side

At this point you may have part of your side panel longer than the front/back panel-that is OK-just cut it off even with the top of the front/back panel

Now get the other front/back panel and lay it right sides together with the other side of the side panel, keeping the side panel on the top.  Repeat all of the above steps!

Now you have your outside done!

 Lining:
Repeat all of the steps for the Outside except leave the bottom of one side open.  Sew the curves completely, but leave the bottom open-this is where you will turn the purse right side out.  

 Trim:
You will need to trim all of the curved seams so they will not be bulky and will not ripple when turned right side out.  Get close to the line of stitching, but not too close!  

Before trimming

After trimming

 Iron:
This is an important step.  Iron all of the seams nice and flat-I know that you cant iron the curves, but get the side seams nicely pressed-see the difference?  This will help you bag hold its shape.  

Before ironing

After ironing

 Putting it all together
If you are going to put any kind of closure on your bag, now is the time to do it.  Attach a magnetic snap to the lining, or pin on a flap or ribbon ties when you pin the straps.

-With the outside of your bag right side out, pin the straps on in your desired spot, with the top edges about higher than the bag-mine were about 1.5 from the side seams
-Turn the outside of your bag so the right side is facing in, and the straps down inside
-Turn the lining right side facing out and put inside the outside-the right sides are facing each other
-Sew around the top
-Pull the bag inside out through the hole
-Sew up the opening in the lining
-Push the lining inside the purse
-Give it another ironing to smooth it out
-Sew around the top
-Admire your new bag!  

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011 09:41:40 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazeeMoi
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2006 10:10:16 PM »

Thank YOU sooooooooooooooooooo much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
refuse2bdefined

Am I beautiful? Am I usable?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2006 07:53:04 AM »

OHHHHHHHHHH awesome tutorial!! I love these bags. They are so adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hold me and tell me "We'll burn like stars. We'll burn as we fall. Watch as city lights dance for us."

http://RefuseToBeDefined.etsy.com

http://refuse2bdefined.livejournal.com
yellowblanket
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2006 02:33:45 PM »

these are both adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists: http://www.wists.com/yellowblanket

will knit for: earrings, cloth pads, homemade soaps, and handspun yarn. PM me if you want to swap!
LoCoMoMof2
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2006 07:53:42 AM »

Thank you so much for the TUT!!!  I am going to give this one a try tonight.

Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!
Meatless Monday: Croissant Bread Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...