A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,880
Currently Running With Scissors:
299 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper tape dress form doubling as opera diva shrine  (Read 5487 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
ohgastonmyhero
« on: May 23, 2006 02:28:06 PM »

I'm sure all of you who have searched the boards for a DIY dress form tutorial have come across this link:

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00002_p5.asp

I decided to give the paper tape dress form a whirl, and it turned out fantastic!  I must give some credit to my bf, of course, who was kind enough to stay in on a Friday night in Montreal and papier -mache me.

I used masking tape to mark off all of the key measurements: bust, waist, hips, front and back centre.  I can even pin into it without gooping up my pins (one of the sad downfalls of those fabulous duct tape dress forms).

Et voila, the finished project, sporting my sculpey pride necklace, anxiously awaiting the next parade:

the back...

and before being taken over by opera divas and mod podge:

My days of stupid fitting mistakes are over!  or so I hope and pray
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009 08:26:44 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. - don't mind me! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tada!  My Etsy Shop is now open!

http://ohgastonmyhero.etsy.com
katie_ramone9
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006 02:35:52 PM »

that looks great! did it take long? and was it easy to use the brown paper tape?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stretchy_elastic_band
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006 02:39:20 PM »

That's great! I might do a collage on mine, but I was thinking of getting some crazy "stone look" faux-finish spray paint, so that it would look like a statue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiger got to hunt, Bird got to fly.
Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why.
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land.
Man got to tell himself he understands.
lonesomecowboybill

you wanna go get some chinese rocks?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006 11:54:16 PM »

yours is awesome! I just made a paper tape dress form this afternoon and it was quite the experience. the mod podge looks like it holds it together nicely and gives it a nice finished look. good job - because I know exactly what it takes to make those things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006 08:25:01 AM »

I decided to give the paper tape dress form a whirl, and it turned out fantastic!  I must give some credit to my bf, of course, who was kind enough to stay in on a Friday night in Montreal and papier -mache me.

um, i'm pretty sure he was THRILLED to get a chance to do this.  Smiley 

My days of stupid fitting mistakes are over!  or so I hope and pray

well, i hope that proves true for you.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
awfullykaleidoscopic

I <3 protesting.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006 08:51:24 AM »

That's fantastic!  I would have never thoughyt to collage it, then agian I never gave much thought to it at all, though I have been wanting to try a paper-tape dress form for some time.
On the website it says something about moistening the tape, what is that all about?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under the cities lies a heart made of ground, but the humans will give no love."
--"A Horse With No Name," America

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006 09:50:41 AM »

On the website it says something about moistening the tape, what is that all about?

it makes sense when you see the tape--paper tape is not sticky until it gets wet.  just like stamps and envelopes.  they use this type of glue on paper products because they are prone to tearing if pulled like you would pull tape that uses regular glue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
ohgastonmyhero
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006 02:29:48 PM »

thank you all so much - you're such dears to a starving artist. =P

that looks great! did it take long? and was it easy to use the brown paper tape?

the brown paper tape was very easy to use - a tad messy, mind you, as you have to moisten the adhesive with water before it'll stick to anything.  I papier mached my front and back separately, so I didn't have to worry about the tape bunching up around my curves.  The whole process took around an hour and a half, another couple for the decoupage the next day.  Do make sure you go to the bathroom BEFORE starting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tada!  My Etsy Shop is now open!

http://ohgastonmyhero.etsy.com
katie_ramone9
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006 04:18:42 PM »

how much tape did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misstree
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006 01:29:40 PM »

that looks fabulous! i ended up smearing lines of paint on mine to remind me where muscle definition is, collarbones, all the little things i craft clothing around, but this may inspire me to do a bit more to make her pretty pretty...

when i made mine, it took most of a 375 foot roll, i think around $7 at office depot. i would recommend having extra, because there is no option of stopping in the middle, and i used some more to reinforce the inside so she'd be sturdier. an interesting and achey experience, but i love the result.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...