A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,631
Currently Running With Scissors:
256 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What does "space dyed" mean?  (Read 2844 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
Offline Offline

Posts: 560
Joined: 23-Sep-2003

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 12, 2006 06:47:23 AM »

exactly?  It does it mean overdyed roving in crazy colors or what?  i can't seem to find what it means exactly.  anyone?  people seem to use the term but I don't know what is considered this.


Offline Offline

Posts: 1976
Joined: 07-Dec-2004

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006 07:58:11 AM »

When I googled a definition, these results came up:

Yarn dyed in single or multi color spaces along a given length in either a repeat or random pattern.

A technique of dying where different sections of the same hank of wool are dyed in different tones of the same color and then the yarn from that hank is used in the rug construction to give it a mottling or abrash effect. Abrash means color variations of the same color giving a worn antique look.

Yarn where each individual yarn is dyed two or more colors that alternate along the length.

Other than that, I don't really know. Sorry I'm not more help.

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Benevolent Goddess of Worm-spit and Sunshine
Offline Offline

Posts: 193
Joined: 15-Nov-2004

Nope, nothin' here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006 08:48:52 PM »

Space dyeing refers to almost any method that applies multiple shades, tints or colors to a yarn via submersion or direct application (so hand painting counts if there is locking, resist or pleating involved). In tye-dye or silk dyeing its folding or forcing the fabric into a pattern (usually small horizontal pleats) and then applying the dye to create a pattern (usually stripes.)

In non-geek terms:
You can space dye a roving, however the yarn spun from the roving will be heathered or might be marled (depends on who you ask and how you spin it) You can space dye yarn by wrapping the yarn into a hank and submersing only part of the hank in dye solution, or you can pleat the hank (use cotton crochet thread of a contrasting color to lock the pleats in place) or by wrapping your yarn around a form and submersing only part of the form (I've been playing around with wrapping balls of yarn with my ball winder and dyeing. You can even space dye your roving, spin it into yarn, then over dye (using a space dyeing method or hand painting.)

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Fail Fudge
Feed Your Pie Hole
Ah, fall!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.