A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,833
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beginner's guide to Inkjet Iron-On Transfers  (Read 32391 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
BoozeCruise

kids die for their country,but they can't buy beer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2007 09:58:47 PM »

I'm going to walmart as soon as I get my next pay check and a day off  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007 06:32:45 AM »

Ok Apparently I didn't have my iron as hot as I could. I poured the water out and set it on a steam setting to iron the transfers on with and it worked fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not super active, but still crafting and post lots on facebook.
Beach Cruiser
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007 10:28:19 AM »

hello, I have a question about another brand of paper. I work for a printshop and I noticed that one of our vendors sells something called. TransferWear and JetWear Digital Transfer papers. Is anyone familiar with these?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ImpishGrin
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2007 11:05:36 AM »

Great tutorial - Thanks!

A few questions:

Should I be washing and drying the shirts before I apply the transfers? (I never have done when making them for personal use.) I know that new fabrics, and many clothing items, have sizing in them that could inhibit inks or transfers somewhat. But I don't know about tees.

Also, I've noticed that lots of people who sell embellished or printed tees use American Apparel shirts, but they seem to run pretty small. And they do tend to shrink after washing. What are some good quality alternatives in a similar price range? Anyone have favorite brands or sources (preferably with a full range of ladies sizes S thru 3XL) that they'd be willing to share? Has anyone been successful using Bella brand tees? Or Hanes? I use white tees most often, but have a problem finding shirts that aren't semi-see-through...

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2007 12:16:04 PM »

Great tutorial - Thanks!

A few questions:

Should I be washing and drying the shirts before I apply the transfers? (I never have done when making them for personal use.) I know that new fabrics, and many clothing items, have sizing in them that could inhibit inks or transfers somewhat. But I don't know about tees.

Also, I've noticed that lots of people who sell embellished or printed tees use American Apparel shirts, but they seem to run pretty small. And they do tend to shrink after washing. What are some good quality alternatives in a similar price range? Anyone have favorite brands or sources (preferably with a full range of ladies sizes S thru 3XL) that they'd be willing to share? Has anyone been successful using Bella brand tees? Or Hanes? I use white tees most often, but have a problem finding shirts that aren't semi-see-through...

Thanks!
I buy my blank shirts as I need them from Walmart, big lots, or dollar general. The main things that's important is the fabric type. You really need to read your transfer directions to know what kind is best. the transfers I have work best on mostly cotton shirts because they don't stretch as much. but I've used them on shirts that are 50% cotton with no problems. So It's really up to you. Also I don't buy undershirts like you find in packages at the store those tend to be nearly see through because they are meant to be worn underneath another shirt. instead look for the plain shirts like you would wear every day. At walmart they are usually on a display and cost anywhere from 5.00 to 9.00 per shirt. I don't make shirts very often so for me this is a great deal. Smiley
I always wash and dry the shirt as per directions on the tag. There are stiffeners in the fabric for packaging and it can mess up your transfers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not super active, but still crafting and post lots on facebook.
gumshoegal
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2007 07:22:43 PM »

heres a dumb question but i'll ask anyway. how do i enlarge a picture
so that it is clear.  i tried in paint but the bigger i went it got grainy.

thanks in advance
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMimi
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2007 02:24:40 PM »

Thanks for all the great information.  I've searched around and didn't find the answer to this question--can anybody recommend a good cheap iron for someone starting out doing this?  We don't have an iron at the moment, so it'll do double duty for this and for general clothes maintenance.  Money's pretty darn short at the moment, though.

Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MommaGreenBean

Life, laugh, love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2007 06:35:15 AM »

thanks for the tutorial!  Hubby is *so* picky bout shirts that he literally has TWO with something on them, the rest are plain. Don't know why I didn't think of iron on transfers sooner... Duh. 

Our first project will be a small Coors bottle in the upper corner.  Nice and simple!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MommaGreenBean

Life, laugh, love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2007 06:36:44 AM »

Thanks for all the great information.  I've searched around and didn't find the answer to this question--can anybody recommend a good cheap iron for someone starting out doing this?  We don't have an iron at the moment, so it'll do double duty for this and for general clothes maintenance.  Money's pretty darn short at the moment, though.

Any suggestions?

I don't know if it's what you consider cheap, but I got an iron at Kmart that was around $30 that is nice and heavy and heats up well.  Haven't tried transfers yet (still waiting for ink in the mail) but the iron is GREAT for regular ironing. It looks like a more old fashioned iron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMimi
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2007 08:44:46 AM »

Thanks--may I ask the brand name/model?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...