A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
216 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ruffles (skirt and pillow)  (Read 1668 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
jnLL
« on: May 03, 2006 08:31:41 PM »

So I had this Gap skirt that I've never worn. I think I bought it with a gift card (~$25-30). You can't buy much at the Gap with only 25 dollars, so I bought it on clearance. Here's a picture:

I liked the style but I hesitated to wear it because I felt it was too...bright. I'm not sure if orange is really my color. Anyway, I rediscovered it in my closet yesterday, tried it on, and it dawned on me that it would be really easy to duplicate. So I made a pattern of the yoke (is that what it's called?) and gathered the rest of the fabric to make the ruffled part. I think I used...approx 1 1/4 yards.

My skirt

Pretty close? I'm really proud of it, even though it's not extremely exciting. The pattern is of small back flowers and leaves. I lined the yoke part and installed the zipper properly, and that's pretty impressive for the likes of me.

I also have a pillow I made for my school's clothing class:

The gathering is really uneven, but my sewing teacher gave me a perfect score anyway. It was my idea to add the eyelet (the pillow was originally supposed to be plain but I thought it would be too boring). Sadly, the pillow doesn't match my bedding  Cheesy

Thanks for looking and reading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006 08:51:24 PM »

Wow, awesome job of making a skirt from another skirt. I like both skirts, but the second one is a perfect copy! I like your pillow, too, it's cute!! Maybe you could bleach fade your first skirt with diluted bleach water or maybe coffee/tea dye it to make it more interesting, less orange. Great job !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006 09:06:17 PM »

Nice copy job with the skirt. I'd wear either! Also, the pillow is cute. My gathering never turns out even either! (my presser foot always screws it up).

Kudos!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006 09:32:39 PM »

Very impressive....I like the original one too!
Perach
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kanhakanha
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006 03:51:32 PM »

That's a great copy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...