A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
342 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing book reviews & recommendations for beginners  (Read 28430 times)
Tags for this thread: book_review  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Dr. Mayhem
« on: July 14, 2004 11:47:42 AM »

Hey Guys,

I just bought my first sewing machine and have been looking around for a good book that would be at my level; I have basically no experience. Problem is that all of the books that I come across are not geared for younger people at all. I was wondering if anybody has come across any good books that aren't made for 50 and 60 year old women?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009 12:16:16 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hummer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004 06:53:06 AM »

Here are some very simplified instructions available free online.
http://craftandfabriclinks.com/sewingbook/sewbook.html

Beginning sewing books should be just that basic instruction,  so that regardless of your age group you could apply the info to your tastes and interests. 

Here is a beginning sewing book for girls, I'm guessing too you for you,  but still it appears it has a lot of basics in it. http://www.thedowsschoolroom.com/sewing.html

I think if it were me just starting.  I would get "Sewing for Dummies".

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corin
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004 04:03:53 PM »

my grandma recently got me this book im more then half way thru it and it has anything and everything in there and tons of insiders tip, id even recomend this book to ppl who have been sewing for awhile...

"the complete idiots guide to sewing"

ive seen lots of ppl wanting to know how to put in zippers theres a whole chapter in here on that and so many other great tips...
so got any questions you can message me  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_na
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005 04:38:05 AM »

Which is the best book out there for reference on how to sew?  Since I'm not very experienced I'd like something with lots of pictures and details, and preferably very thorough.  Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i guess i get carried away sometimes...
SexiSadi
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005 09:24:40 AM »

Readers Digest Complete guide to Sewing is a good reference book.  I too am new to sewing, and I find this book comes in really handy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_na
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005 08:51:04 PM »

I took your advice and picked it up at borders.  It is a really good book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i guess i get carried away sometimes...
sweetchic7
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005 02:43:14 PM »

Hi. I just joined this board and think its awesome. I wanted to know if anyone had any good recommendations for a sewing book for beginners. I just started sewing and have made a pillow and makeup bag in a sewing class I took at Joann's. But now I want to start sewing clothes and other things on my own, but need a good book. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SexiSadi
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005 07:29:55 PM »

Me personally, I would reccomend "Readers Digest Complete Guide to Sewing".  It covers more than just the basics and has pictures too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005 09:53:06 AM »

The Complete Book of Sewing from DK publishing is good for looking up techniques. It's strictly reference, no projects.

If you can, go to the public library and try out different books. They'll probably have some older books that aren't available in the stores, as well as more contemporary books.  Don't overlook the juvenile section, even if you're an adult; some sewing books written for children or teenagers are really good for beginners.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
brena80

She isn't real... I can't make her real

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005 12:15:58 PM »

I got "Sew Fast Sew Easy" by Elissa K. Meyrich to teach me how to sew.   It's really good.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...