A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
384 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lining for a dress-please help  (Read 542 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
jnLL
« on: April 28, 2006 09:18:34 PM »

hi guys, i hope you can help me. i forgot to ask my clothing teacher, and she's going to be gone for a week.

for our final sewing project in my clothing class, i would like to use one of these patterns:
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4828.htm?tab=dresses&page=2
or
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4829.htm?tab=dresses&page=2

i need fabric for lining the bodice, and i was wondering what kind of fabric should i use for it? do i use the same fabric i used to make the dress? the fabric i'm using is a polished cotton (it's navy blue with white polka dots). or should i use a different fabric?

if i use a different fabric, what should i use? would muslin work (because its cheap), and does muslin come in darker colors?

thank you so much to those who can offer some advice Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006 09:31:29 PM »

The pattern suggests a lining fabric which uysually is an acetate type of fabric. If you go to the fabric store they can show you several types of lining materials. They usually aren't to expensive.  You can use the same fabric too if you have enough, but personally I've done this and it was quite warm since it's two layers of the same fabric. Musiln can do the job as well. You really don't need to worry too much about the choice of fabric.
Generally the lining can be a nylon feeling material that feels slippery. But if you have extra fabric of some sort in your stash use it and don't worry too much about it. We all have used what ever was on hand at the time instead of running out to the fabric shop!  Hope this helps you a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chickey
Alaskan blend: cold-pressed, almost undrinkable.

Like, y'know, whatever.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006 05:34:47 PM »

Here's a link to a sewalong that made McCall's 4829 -- you might ask someone there what they used for the lining, or if they used one at all.

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=50878.0

And my favorite lining is Bemberg rayon -- it's moderately-priced, and is available in lots of colors (more online that in stores, I've found!), and it's not that hard to sew with.  I'll be using it a lot this summer, so I recently purchased 4 yards.

Hope that helps!  Good luck.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not left-handed either." - The Princess Bride
JeweledClaws
Silverclawed spinnerchick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006 09:21:04 PM »

I habitually use cotton fabric for lining because I despise the feel of synthetics on my skin, especially close to my skin where linings often are. Wink Plus I live in Florida, where synthetics are generally evil-feeling anyway, and I also pretty much learned to sew while doing the Renaissance Faire where I wouldn't have used a synthetic if you paid me. (Well. Okay. Probably if you paid me enough.) If you want a darker color of muslin, you could a) dye it (but of course dye costs money Wink) or b) use the solid-colored cotton/cotton blend wovens they sell in the quilting section near the muslin, which is what I usually do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnLL
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006 09:44:27 PM »

Thanks so much for the advice, girls!

I went to Joanne's today and just purchased some white muslin for the lining. A saleslady who sews helped me out and said that cottons were best for the polished cotton fabric, and she said that muslin is "perfect" for that purpose.

It might have been better to find a navy cotton blend to match, but it's only lining, so it'll be fine.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...