A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
290 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: D.I.Y. Design it Yourself, Ellen Lupton - Book Review  (Read 1961 times)
Tags for this thread: book_review  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
HotGlueBurns
« on: April 26, 2006 10:46:38 AM »

Came across this browsing in the bookstore. Original and hip. Love the section on wedding invitations. And, of course, Tshirts. I'm a big fan.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009 12:06:07 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged
blueblythe
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006 11:01:31 AM »

I went to a talk she gave, she's amazing. I have the book skin it's really interesting, I'll definitely have to check this out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nyssa1231
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006 02:19:12 PM »

I got this book a little while ago, and it's what started me in on DIY stuff! I saw the section on making your own business cards, and, being an attorney, I was attracted to her non-conventional approach. I won't be making business cards out of cakes anytime soon, but my interest in making my own business cards has spiraled out of control and now I'm obsessed with making everything!

I definitely recommend the book. The designs are inspiring and very easy to follow. Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suzies_litlgurl

some supermodel wannabe...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007 02:09:16 PM »

im trying to get this book from a bookstore instead of ordering it online. has anyone bought it yet? and if so do you like it? is it worth the money? ive bought DIY books before and some of them are hit and miss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the girl cant help it....
TrentSketch
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007 12:02:08 AM »

D.I.Y. Design it Yourself is ok.  It's really not that great.  All of the categories listed on the cover (from blogs to logos to t-shirts to zines) are really just glossed over in a few short pages, but those pages are filled with a lot of great pictures.  The book really shines when it goes into the history of design theory and an overview of the basics of graphic design, but that is only a
short portion of the book.  The best section by far is on CD/DVD packaging, but even that does not go into much detail. 

D.I.Y. Design it Yourself actually seems to abhor detailed descriptions of anything.  The embroidery chapter actually had me laughing out loud when it claimed there were but three stitches to use on a machine: satin stitch (ok, that's one), step stitch (uh...it looks like straight stitch to me) and outline stitch (who in the what now? oh, you mean a straight stitch again).  But then the very next page they show a design that they just call zig-zag stitch and never specify that that is also one of the many options.  And then they just say use an embroidery machine or pay to have it stitched by someone else.

Instead of providing any type of guide as to how to accomplish the looks in the book, more often than not, the DIY solution is to have it commercially printed or purchase a single-purpose kit to accomplish it.  I don't know what planet these authors live on, but where I'm from a quality CD labeling kit with centering tool is pretty darn expensive, yet it is ranked as the cheapest and easiest option for CD packaging.  Wouldn't it be more akin to a Design It Yourself philosophy to suggest using readily available sticker paper from the store, print/paint/draw/screenprint/stamp/lino-block/other a design onto the paper and then trace out and cut handmade CD labels and carefully position and trim them to the disk?  Also, while I liked that CD section, it seemed to ignore what is fast becoming a standard, eco-friendly (and they do seem to like patting themselves on the back for being eco-friendly quite a few times) packaging is folded recycled paper containers, where the CD goes in one pocket and the booklet goes in another.

The interview section (all eight pages of it) covers some pretty interesting people, but relegates it to blind praise rather than any real insight into design.

I will give the book one thing: it's designed very well.  The photo quality, text size, color, font, and layout are wonderful, and the book has a nice heft to it that betrays the softbound cover in a good way.

This book is best used for inspiration and a general introduction to design theory (the theory, design, branding, and logo sections and like tidbits throughout the book are some of the clearest explanations I have ever seen of design theory, but lack any real depth), but should not be seen as a guide to actually Designing Anything Yourself.  It's an inspiration book, and one with a pretty hefty price tag (SRLP $19.95, I got it for 30% off).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purpleone
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007 03:11:19 AM »

I've got this book and it's a nice 'coffee table' flick-through read but short on good practical projects  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...