A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
184 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: NEED HELP ON SHORT 'N SWEET BOLERO, PLEASE  (Read 4515 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
seagull1993
« on: April 24, 2006 09:21:51 PM »

I love this bolero and can't wait to see my dd wearing it.  :-)    But, I have run into some confusion with the RT front. 

I got thru the back section just fine, and I think I did the first 9 rows of the RT front correctly - at least the last stitches in row 9 seem to fit properly with the last 3 chains that I added onto row 8's first stitch. 

But, I am totally confused by the directions for rows 10-16.  Can someone help me with specifics as to what I am supposed to be following to complete the pattern?  I began to go back to rows 2 thru 9, but the stitches do not appear to be following the correct pattern.  I assume the pattern is supposed to have some kind of increase, too. 

Please help me with this -- my brain fog is pretty bad today.  I really need directions that are as specific as possible.  Thank you so much for any and all help.  :-)

seagull
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amethyst
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006 07:02:57 AM »

For 2-9 here (you're right, that's what you're supposed to do), you want to keep on with the pattern. So, if the part under the v at the end is a half-shell, do the V-stitch, ch2, sc, ch2, then the fan/shell of 4dc, ch1, 4dc in the next V-stitch (where it's the mesh-like pattern beneath). If it's not the half-shell at the end, do the opposite.

I found that when making size large, I should really be on row 6 and not row 2 at some points, because of the way the pattern is.

You should have already done the increase, in rows 6-9. Instead of doing a half-shell at the end somewhere, you do a full, and then you increase by a V-stitch. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seagull1993
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006 08:46:09 AM »

Thank you, Amethyst, so much for that detailed response -- it has helped to clear up my "fog" quite a bit.   Smiley

>> I found that when making size large, I should really be on row 6 and not row 2 at some points, because of the way the pattern is.  <<

Can you elaborate on this some more?  I am making the Lrg size and may have already been doing that without noticing, but would feel better if you could more fully detail it.   Roll Eyes   Thanks again for all the help.   Kiss

seagull
THIS ROCKS   Logged
modkatie
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006 09:12:28 AM »

I think I ripped out the RT front three times before I got this part right too! So, hang in there and let us know how it turns out  (finally forgoing the written instructions and following the chart ---sketching out my own including the increase was the only way I managed in the end, but once I did that it all came together...)  Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amethyst
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006 09:42:21 AM »

Thank you, Amethyst, so much for that detailed response -- it has helped to clear up my "fog" quite a bit.   Smiley

>> I found that when making size large, I should really be on row 6 and not row 2 at some points, because of the way the pattern is.  <<

Can you elaborate on this some more?  I am making the Lrg size and may have already been doing that without noticing, but would feel better if you could more fully detail it.   Roll Eyes   Thanks again for all the help.   Kiss

seagull

It could be that I made a mistake. When I started the right side front, I had the shell where the shell was in the back, and the mesh where the mesh was. Is that how it was for you?

Anyway, I think it was the second two on RS front where I noticed. I looked at it, and realized I should be doing row 6 there (which starts with the half shells), rather than two, to go with the pattern. But if that's not the case for you, do whatever looks right for the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seagull1993
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006 06:20:52 PM »

I am having problems with part of the Short 'n Sweet bolero.  My brain fog is not letting me get the RT front done correctly. 

I got some great feedback from a couple wonderful ladies here on my first post, but for some reason, my brain is refusing to make sense of it.  I think I need the MRM (Mr. Rogers' Method) approach.   Huh   

If someone would not mind taking a few minutes and spelling out just rows 10 and 11 on the RT Front (for size X-LG), stitch by stitch, I think I could finish the rest of that section on my own. 

But, using the row 2 pattern for row 10, as the direction states, does not give me the correct stitch pattern, for some reason.  And, I cannot seem to recreate a symbol chart to follow, either.   Roll Eyes

I can't figure it out and am sooo frustrated because I want to finish
the garment for my dd to wear to an upcoming wedding.  Thanks so much for any and all feedback and help.   Smiley

seagull
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amethyst
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006 07:29:23 AM »

If someone would not mind taking a few minutes and spelling out just rows 10 and 11 on the RT Front (for size X-LG), stitch by stitch, I think I could finish the rest of that section on my own. 

But, using the row 2 pattern for row 10, as the direction states, does not give me the correct stitch pattern, for some reason.  And, I cannot seem to recreate a symbol chart to follow, either.   Roll Eyes

I think you're encountering what I was encountering. Does it look like you should be doing row 6 there? You just did row nine, so all of your shells have their tops, and you need to make the shell base again. Below that V where you start, is there a half shell, or is it the mesh and there's a shell at the next v? If there isn't a half-shell right underneath, do row 6.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seagull1993
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006 10:11:00 PM »

Hi, Amethyst -- thanks for popping back in to help me.   Kiss

>>   I think you're encountering what I was encountering. Does it look like you should be doing row 6 there? You just did row nine, so all of your shells have their tops, and you need to make the shell base again. Below that V where you start, is there a half shell, or is it the mesh and there's a shell at the next v? If there isn't a half-shell right underneath, do row 6.  <<

My row nine is as follows -- it starts with the single V, then has a half shell.  Next is the meshy part with the "tower" of four V stitches, then a relief shell, then another mesh part with V stitch, then another relief shell, then the end of the row which is a mesh part with V stitch.  So, it is 2 relief shells and 2 mesh V stitch parts in the middle of the row, and 1 V stitch followed by a half shell and 1 mesh V stitch part at the ends of the row.  So the half shell is next to the V stitch at the beginning of my row 9. 

Did I mess up row 9 for the X-LG size?   Huh   I would not be surprised if I did -- but, how to fix it?  Thanks for your help.   Smiley

seagull
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amethyst
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006 01:07:26 PM »

I don't think you messed up. Start with the half shell, then do a V-stitch on top of the shell that's there, and keep going. Like row 6. Does it look like row 6 would work? From what you're telling me, it sounds like it would.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seagull1993
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006 08:41:21 PM »

Shocked  OMG!!   Shocked

By George, I think we have a winner!   Grin

I started with the row 6 as you suggested and found that I had to make a little adjustment here and there, but then I just went with how the previous rows were set up and the counts of each V and shell column -- and I have to say that the overall pattern and look appears to be correct.  At least it does to me, so I think I will leave well enough alone and continue on. 

Now for one quick last (I hope  Roll Eyes ) question -- sorry to be such a pest.  I have now completed the 16 rows for the RT Front.  Is that 16th row supposed to line up with the back section's end row when the garment is folded at the shoulder seam?  Mine do not line up even with each other -- the RT Front appears to be about 7 rows shorter than the Back section.  If they are supposed to be even in length to each other, then I will have to continue working more rows onto the RT front to make that happen.   Huh

Thanks again for all your help, Amethyst.   Kiss

seagull
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...