A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
137 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: clay + stretched lobes  (Read 29226 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
peppertree
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2007 09:34:13 AM »

I made myself a few different pairs of poly clay plugs and Im 7/8. They work fine for me. I just make sure to take clean my ears every morning and before bed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
half pint
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2007 04:05:00 PM »

not to beat a dead horse, but...
as i said in my post before, i wouldn't mind seeing proof.
to me proof is not saying that an expert says so, i wanna see why an expert says so...
(not to say i don't appreciate any posts)

i understand that the logic of the argument about using it for so long without adverse effects isn't the strongest.
i guess i meant it as more of a personal testimonial, realizing that everybody has different experiences.

but i hope people put this whole argument in perspective. i mean, putting fimo in ears is way less risky than smoking for years, right?

i hope i don't come across mean, i'm trying not too, i just didn't wanna be misunderstood.
and i really wouldn't mind seeing some proof, as i have sculpey in my ears right now...
thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
japaya
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2007 10:46:46 AM »

HI everybody!
As Darkdaughter said, if you have any doubt about anything you must ask the right person, a proffesional in the field. Im a tattoist, and my piercers partners are clearly about clay for plugs: no.
First you must think about this: polymer clay has a short period of life, and people are using it for plugs only since a few years ago. That means that we cant know about the consecuences for health, cause we dont have still the chance to study the development of the potencial risks in a lifetime. So, if you dont know, better dont do it.
Second, i see some confussion about the non-toxic label on the clays. As Diane B. has told, clay is non-toxic after cured, and deffinetly you cant eat it if you care about your health!
And last, for all those people who decide to wear clay plugs anyway, cause theyre fine for now: please think in a future, maybe theyre ok now, but you dont know if its going to have a bad consecuence in 20 years. There are so much toxic products around us...if you know about the potencial toxicity of one the best thing you can do is not to use it, and not to think "well, i can be harmed by so many things, as i like this ill close my eyes and ill use it".
 Please if i said something wrong excuse my english. for simple things i have no trouble, but when i want to explain something a bit complex i feel like a fool! lol
 But i hope this helps, and please dont use clay for plugs, why to expose unnecesary? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VirgoWolf
Crafty Queen of Critters

Lets swap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2007 10:53:58 PM »

HI everybody!
As Darkdaughter said, if you have any doubt about anything you must ask the right person, a proffesional in the field. Im a tattoist, and my piercers partners are clearly about clay for plugs: no.
First you must think about this: polymer clay has a short period of life, and people are using it for plugs only since a few years ago. That means that we cant know about the consecuences for health, cause we dont have still the chance to study the development of the potencial risks in a lifetime. So, if you dont know, better dont do it.
Second, i see some confussion about the non-toxic label on the clays. As Diane B. has told, clay is non-toxic after cured, and deffinetly you cant eat it if you care about your health!
And last, for all those people who decide to wear clay plugs anyway, cause theyre fine for now: please think in a future, maybe theyre ok now, but you dont know if its going to have a bad consecuence in 20 years. There are so much toxic products around us...if you know about the potencial toxicity of one the best thing you can do is not to use it, and not to think "well, i can be harmed by so many things, as i like this ill close my eyes and ill use it".
 Please if i said something wrong excuse my english. for simple things i have no trouble, but when i want to explain something a bit complex i feel like a fool! lol
 But i hope this helps, and please dont use clay for plugs, why to expose unnecesary? Wink

Amen, I'd love to go bungie jumping, sky diving, or swimming with sharks, all sounds exciting and somewhat worth the risk, I don't see clay jewelry as something I would risk my health for, it seems like something so easily avoidable by decorating plain stainless, titanium, glass, etc... jewelry with clay so that it's just as custom and beautiful, yet not a risk. I mean to each their own, but if it were up to me, I'd just get some tunnels and fill 'em or go with glass plugs or something.

Your english comes across pretty well, don't be so hard on yourself. I agree whole heartedly with everything you had to say. I'd worry more about MY grammar and spelling, LOL, and english is my first (and pretty much ONLY) language.

(also, one can get slightly flawed jewelry REALLY cheap at some body jewelry shops and customize the parts that do not contact skin with polymer clay and get the same effect without the high cost of jewelry or the potential risks of using pure clay, just for another option)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Krystal
PERSONAL SWAPS WELCOME!

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/virgowolf
Wists: http://www.wists.com/VirgoWolf
lizvagpack
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2008 08:54:47 PM »

Alright so my friend and I have been using sculpey clay to make plugs for about 4 months. we just bake them and if they're lumpy sand them down, we don't do anything else and we are fine. we have put them in fresh holes and made tapers, and have had no problems. i would totally recommend it but only if you feel comfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Foisty
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2008 02:04:43 PM »

What about actual clay from the earth?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dynamine
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2008 09:15:20 PM »

is that a serious question?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/dynamine/
http://tinydynamine.etsy.com
Humans have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst for them.
chibii

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2008 03:36:02 PM »

Wear it through ear skins. Seriously, polymer clay is awful for your ears, even if you're healed. It's very porous and full of chemicals. Not something you want touching any insides of your body. I've seen many people who have had blowouts and infections from using it as a medium for jewelry.

WEAR IT THROUGH EARSKINS. BE SAFE. It's not worth the months and years you spent stretching, only to wear something and have you have to start again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

3 successful personal swaps!

I love fish, strawberries, zebra prints, hair clips, and anything cute! <3
brookem
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2008 08:54:53 PM »

uh, am i reading this correctly? what are earskins?

and just to weigh in again- i have 16 piercings in my ears, and 6-year old stretchings in my lobes. if you want to take a chance, go for it, it is your body after all. but ripping out a fistula is not a pleasant experience and i was wearing surgical steel at the time. so at the very least, wrap clay earrings in electrical or teflon tape. its not ideal and tape needs to be changed regularly, but i wore electrical tape in my ears for a year with relatively little trouble (i know, i know- tape, eww, but i was 14 so cut me some slack Grin).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
chibii

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2008 12:04:57 PM »

uh, am i reading this correctly? what are earskins?

and just to weigh in again- i have 16 piercings in my ears, and 6-year old stretchings in my lobes. if you want to take a chance, go for it, it is your body after all. but ripping out a fistula is not a pleasant experience and i was wearing surgical steel at the time. so at the very least, wrap clay earrings in electrical or teflon tape. its not ideal and tape needs to be changed regularly, but i wore electrical tape in my ears for a year with relatively little trouble (i know, i know- tape, eww, but i was 14 so cut me some slack Grin).

Look them up. They're silicone eyelets that are rounded so it looks like you're holes are bigger. Smiley I wear smaller-sized jewelry through earskins. Tape does work too (I've stretched with it, putting layers on gradually), but it does require a lot of changing because it gets gross.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

3 successful personal swaps!

I love fish, strawberries, zebra prints, hair clips, and anything cute! <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...