A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 314,811
Currently Running With Scissors:
172 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I Just Cant Stop Frocking Around (Urban Copycat)(TUT ON P2) IMG xl  (Read 24797 times)
Tags for this thread: frock , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

XOcrazy4uXO
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006 08:04:04 AM »

Here is a teaser.. I have the pics done, and I will be posting the tut today.

thats cute! and I cant wait for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missliz01

my cat playing dead ;p

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006 08:13:02 AM »

That is so flippin cute:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jessiesmess
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006 06:32:20 PM »

ok here it is

what you need

two different fabrics.. one for the top one for the bottom. Life is much easier if you have a nice stretchy fabric for the top, OR if you dont want to make the top from scratch, you can cut a tank to in half down the middle.You should also have a measuring tape, pins and a ruler.

First find a tank top that fits you well. Place this over your fabric and trace around the edges leaving room for seam allowances.. like so

My trick is to do one side according to the tank top then fold it in half to do the other side so the sides are perfectly matched.

Sew up the sides so you have a little tank top

Measure from your shoulders to just below your boobs. Remember to leave an inch or so for seam allowances. Put your tank to the side and grap your contrasting fabric. Fold it right sides facing in, and measure across your bust. Cut the square of fabric about 3 inches more than what this measurement is so you will have soft gathers.

Sew up the side of this so you have a tube.

Now you want to attach this tube to the tank. Cut the tank to the desired length.. Right below your boobs.

Now on the tube about 1/2 inch from the top, you want to create a gather stitch. This stitch is really the widest longest stitch you have on your machine. Do this stitch, and leave room to pull the thread to create a gather.

Turn the tank wrong side out,  and attach the tube to the bottom of the tank like you would a sleeve. Pin in place and try on. Here is a photo of that.

sew the bottom to the top. Note, you dont want too many gathers or you will have a puffier bottom. I just added a few gathers to make the bottom flow outwards a little bit.

Try on. If everything looks good, you can do what you want to the sleeves. On this one, I am doing lace on the sleeves. Be creative. You now have a cute top! Dont forget to hem the bottom and finish off your neckline to make it pretty, or you can even leave it raw if you have some good stretchy fabric that wont fray.

Would love to see variations of this, so if anyone does one I would love to see!

Hope this makes sense, Ive had a loooong day so if some of this seems unclear please forgive me..  if you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask!

You are now an Urban Outfitters copycat. Think of it as Karma, as they have been known to copycat designers all the time. Smiley

Enjoy!

I think I may create a bustle back on this by cutting a triangle piece of fabric and inserting it as a panel in the back.. whoaaa Im getting ahead of myself.
Hope you all like.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2006 07:56:49 AM by Jessiesmess » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap and Clothes from my overpriced apartment in Queens
www.bejessie.com
www.bejessie.etsy.com
bloggie www.mybrainpurge.blogspot.com
Proud member of the New York City Craft Mafia
www.newyorkcitycraftmafia.com
myspace
http://www.myspace.com/bejessie
XOcrazy4uXO
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006 07:40:41 PM »

yay! thank you! i cant wait to try this out!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kcfirecracker
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006 08:34:02 PM »

Now on the tube about 1/2 inch from the top, you want to create a gather stitch. This stitch is really the widest longest stitch you have on your machine. Do this stitch, and leave room to pull the thread to create a gather.

- umm so- are you saying just make a big long stich on yer machine, and pull the threads . and try to make it a even gather, - THEN attach the bottom to the top?  Would it be more poofy if you gather & attach in the same action? It's very possible it could be as plain as the nose on my face. I'm just scared of poofy. But no - its a great top. I'll post my top when I finish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Are you taking orders, or are you taking over?" -The Clash
Beccaboohoo
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006 08:39:35 PM »

dude thanks sooo much for the awesome tute.  Cheesy I must try this as soon as i can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the luckiest.
Jessiesmess
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006 04:00:15 AM »

- umm so- are you saying just make a big long stich on yer machine, and pull the threads . and try to make it a even gather, - THEN attach the bottom to the top?  Would it be more poofy if you gather & attach in the same action? It's very possible it could be as plain as the nose on my face. I'm just scared of poofy. But no - its a great top. I'll post my top when I finish!

YOu could do both. I did one long stitch because I didnt want a lot of gathering. So yes, I did one long stitch, and gently pulled the threads and distributed the small gathers then attached. But do what works best for you!

Cant wait to see it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap and Clothes from my overpriced apartment in Queens
www.bejessie.com
www.bejessie.etsy.com
bloggie www.mybrainpurge.blogspot.com
Proud member of the New York City Craft Mafia
www.newyorkcitycraftmafia.com
myspace
http://www.myspace.com/bejessie
sead
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006 06:39:34 AM »

You could totally market these as maternity/postpartum tops, if you were so inclined.  I would have bought like 20 of them.  So comfy, but still stylish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reese299
yep, its like that

a little of column A, and a little of column B...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006 10:15:37 AM »

You are a friggin' genius!  I LOVE this top, and I want to make some for my preggo sis as well!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Whenever I draw a circle, I immediately want to step out of it." -r.b.fuller
kcfirecracker
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2006 02:32:50 AM »

So here's my version of your version of urban outfitters. I did measure from my shoulders to the bottom of my boobs, but with  the strechy fabric it was more along the lines of " of here are my boobs & did you notice my pudge?" at the top.  So I cut it where my boobs kind of take off.
as you can see in the pic, there's some ruffelage at the top. I did darts, but took them out because it looked like poo. But i LOVE this print. whadda think, if I ironed on some interlaceing, would it cut down on the puff? Love the top, can't wait to wear it to the baseball game on the weekend! Jessiesmess - the things you do, bless ya'!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Are you taking orders, or are you taking over?" -The Clash
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Fabric Beads
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Quilted Scissors Cozy
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Brigaderios

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...