A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
231 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm making bedfellows! also need some help  (Read 2026 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
lovefeast
« on: April 10, 2006 02:06:44 PM »

I'm so excited about the pattern for the crocheted bear and bunny. I'm currently making the bunny out of some acrylic worsted that I had on hand. When I finish, I'll update with pictures.

Request for help on pattern:

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried to make the bunny. I'm having a slight problem already with understanding two parts of the pattern. I have already checked the book's errata online and there aren't any corrections for this pattern.

Slst2tog : Under "Special stitches"
under the materials description on page 251, you get directions on how to do what they refer to as "slst2tog".  The directions say: "(Insert hook in next st) twice, yo, draw yarn through all loops on hook".  What do they mean by that? If you read the pattern directions for how to work the body, you are often directed to "dec 2 sl sts". It's only later in the pattern directions, on page 252 under Rnd 29 that you are told to do "slst2tog".

Wouldn't the standard slip stitch decrease be the same as slst2tog?  I tried to follow the directions for "slst2tog" literally, and it worked but it was REALLY hard to insert the hook twice in two adjacent stitches without yarning over at all.

Here's my literal interpretation of slst2tog:
Stick hook in the stitch indicated. Do not yarn over. tilt the hook's head back towards the front of the work, and insert it in to the next stitch. Then yarn over and draw through all loops on hook at one time.

When I did the slip stitch decrease, I yarned over after inserting in each stitch, but the last time you yarn over, then you draw it through all the loops on the hook.

Also: When you are making the head for the bunny, there appears to be mistakes in the first few rounds.  On page 254, when you go from round 2 to round 3, how is it possible that you go from having 9 stitches to having 16 stitches? The directions for those two lines:

Rnd 2: *2 sl sts in next st, sl st in next st; rep from * around -- 9 sts. (<--- this works out right)
Rnd 3: *2 sl sts in next st, sl st in each of next 2 sts; rep from * around -- 16 sts. (<-- seems to be error here?)
PHEW!

I have only made the body so far but it's looking really cute and well made so far. Pictures soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mhorn
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006 01:23:18 PM »

I am making the bunny too and when I tried the special stitch it seemed impossible. I made my own variation on it, so I have been grabbing the yarn through one stitch, then grabbing the yarn through the next stitch (now you have 3 loops on your hook), then yarn over and pull the yarn through all 3 loops. It manages to decrease stitches, but I am sure its not the correct way to do it. I think there's a typo in the book, either that or I just cannot understand the instructions for the special stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovefeast
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006 12:55:11 PM »

I am making the bunny too and when I tried the special stitch it seemed impossible. I made my own variation on it, so I have been grabbing the yarn through one stitch, then grabbing the yarn through the next stitch (now you have 3 loops on your hook), then yarn over and pull the yarn through all 3 loops. It manages to decrease stitches, but I am sure its not the correct way to do it. I think there's a typo in the book, either that or I just cannot understand the instructions for the special stitch.

Hi there.

I actually tried it your way, and also the way the pattern literally tells you to do that special stitch. The only difference I could tell in the decreases is that the literal way makes it decrease a little faster. But then I noticed that the bunny head wasn't perfectly round, so I wondered if I should have just done the decreases the way you describe here. So the next time I try to make the bunny, I'll do the decreases that way, and I'll let you know if it turns out better.

When I finally sew all the body parts together, I'll post a picture. I used some cheap yarn so it's not as cute as the pictures in the book. Plus, I embroidered the eyes since it's a gift for a baby. I think the plastic eyes are much cuter.

Someone on flickr is making a bunch of bedfellows. I thought about contacting her but I read on her comments that she's not following the pattern exactly. Here's a link to the pictures (scroll down):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenkitchen/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006 12:59:17 PM by lovefeast » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...