A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 314,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
128 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what colors look good together?  (Read 758 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

mrs. warhol
« on: April 16, 2006 01:05:08 PM »

Hi all,
this is my fortunate situation: I have a friend that gave me about 40 balls of mohair in all different colors.  He asked me to make a sweater out of this that he has been dreaming about for 10 years. Basically what he wants is  a striped sweater, but all of the stripes to be different widths, not matching sleeve to sleeve or front to back, etc.
so my issue is this...how the heck should i lay out the stripe colors? i dont want it to look too rainbow-esque or clowny. basically i remember nothing from 10th grade color theory. and of course, hes not helping me out on how he wants it either (the classic "surprise me" was uttered).
if you have any ideas at all, please help!
thank you thank you thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006 01:15:14 PM »

I've heard of a stripe generator, but I found a book on color schemes while browsing Borders, I think it was called "The color scheme bible" not sure if that is the right book, but that might lead you to some others, and it has some great color schemes in it. You could try to find that and see if it inspires you.
Also, if you find a picture and take a few sample colors out of that, they usually look good together. Nature knows colors best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006 02:13:48 PM »

I've heard of a stripe generator,

Random Stripe Generator
Click on boxes that are as close to the color of the yarn. In the number of rows allowed - the more boxes you check the more variation in the width of the stripes. You could do a different generator for each sweater part (front, back, left sleeve, right sleeve) based on how many rows that part has.

I'm not positive the color coordination thing is going to be great with this generator but it should help. Another tip - look at all of the balls together - the ones that jump out (color or shade stands out) should be used less (smaller stripe) and should be evenly distributed so the viewer's eyes move around the sweater - or alternatively placed specifically to draw the viewer's attention.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrs. warhol
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006 02:57:17 PM »

Thank you!
i looked online and my public library has "the color scheme bible". im going to check it out on tuesday.
until then ill play around on the generator.
I'll keep elijor's advice with picking colors with my eye in mind too so the colors dont get too concentrated.
thanks a million!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JaneTwo
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006 09:18:23 AM »

Hi, there. I wrote a piece on my blog about transitioning multiple colors of yarn that might be helpful. The link is here http://www.janethornley.com/journal_knitters.php and then scroll down the page. Hope it helps! Jane
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Plastic Bottle Lanterns
October 17, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Magic Wands

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...