A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
December Announcement: It's time for our Eighth Annual Gingerbread Contest!  Craft and enter a project for a chance to win a prize!
Total Members: 319,831
Currently Running With Scissors:
168 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: book altering / altered art craftalong?  (Read 12313 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2006 02:01:47 PM »

heini -- you can join a craftalong at any time no matter how long you've been on Craftster.   Wink

As for me, I've gotten zip done on my book.  Blah.  But I am taking a class next semester on artist's books!  Then I'll get something done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
grapefruiit
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2006 02:29:01 AM »

okay i'm so weird. i go through these random phases - sometimes i'm so thrilled about book altering and i can't get enough of it, then other times i feel bad/weird about "destroying" books. but i think i'm over it now. so yes, i will finally be starting my altered book. soon. very, very soon. how is everyone else going with theirs? has anyone actually started yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heini
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2006 04:46:19 AM »

I suppose it's not too late to join, if you haven't done almost anything yet.

Should there be some kind of schedule? If the theme of the whole book is favourites, there could also be different theme for every week/month. For example 1. week: song; 2. week: colour; 3. week: food etc.
I think that would motivate (at least me) to do something and not just think "I'll start/continue altering, when I'm not this busy."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purrpower
Unique vintage art supplies

What you think you become. BUDDA

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2006 06:49:19 PM »

sonjaboo - i think those ideas are all wonderful~! and i agree with what you said about the theme being general. yep yep.. ^^

misi23 - i guess we start when we've decided on a theme?

hmmm.. i personally don't really mind what theme we do, but i really like the favourites idea..anyways yeah.. i guess we'll start when everyone has posted about what kinda themes they're interested in, and we choose one that everyone likes from those suggestions...

Yes, I want to do this. I have started one of these before and it is awesome when you get the book back. Favorites sounds like a good theame very open ended.
Purrpower
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an etsy what are you waiting for
http://www.etsy.com/shop/purrpower
My art etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/bunnycrave
Blog:
http://www.bunnycrave.com
My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/purrpower
I love to swap ATC's, Personal swaps, YES!
grapefruiit
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2006 03:30:01 AM »

I suppose it's not too late to join, if you haven't done almost anything yet.

Should there be some kind of schedule? If the theme of the whole book is favourites, there could also be different theme for every week/month. For example 1. week: song; 2. week: colour; 3. week: food etc.
I think that would motivate (at least me) to do something and not just think "I'll start/continue altering, when I'm not this busy."

of course, if you want a schedule, you can make a schedule but personally i don't think i can do that because i prioritise school and my studies before any sort of art... but i do get what you mean about the whole motivation thing, seeing as none of us have actually started our books..  Roll Eyes
maybe we could work with a very loose schedule - like, a spread a month or something?

Yes, I want to do this. I have started one of these before and it is awesome when you get the book back. Favorites sounds like a good theame very open ended.
Purrpower

yay! more people = good. but just to clear things up a bit, we're not actually passing a book around for this particular craftalong...here we're each working on individual projects, and posting pictures as we go...  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Subversive

Living in hope

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2006 07:00:57 AM »

How do you choose which books to use?
  Here are my book choices so far and why:

1) Cheap copy of The Razor's Edge - chose this one because a) there is absolutely nothing about it that would make me feel bad about "ruining" it (my first attempt at an AB) - crappy hardcover edition with no dust jacket and nothing special about the binding or contents, no one will miss this book or regret its conversion; b) I think I paid 50 cents for it; and c) the story (about a guy who decides to go his own way in the world, seeking spiritual enlightenment and avoiding getting stuck in a boring conventional rut) had a lot of wording that reminded me of my ex-husband, so the AB became about the decline and fall of my marriage.

2) A set of tiny children's "board books" - 2"x3" - picked them up for $1 (for 14 of them) because I had read that board books are a great place to start when learning how to do ABs.  So far I've used one of them as part of a larger altered object -- a sort of shrine for friends of mine who are getting married - the book part contains quotes about love and partnership, etc.

3) A beautiful illustrated 1912 edition of Henry Van Dyke's Little Rivers - Essays on Profitable Idleness  - the cover has gorgeous Art Nouveau illumination with sprays of gold leaves on the spine and calla lilies on the front; unfortunately, the pages are badly water-damaged (which is why I snagged it for $1 at my local library store); my extremely loose plan for this one, to be executed once I have a better idea what I'm doing, is to take out most or all of the signatures and just use the cover - maybe replace the pages with a box of the same dimensions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Capultum habeo.  Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxem mittam.  (Translation:  I have a catapult.  Give me all your money or Ill fling enormous rocks at your head.)
McJulie-O
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2006 11:57:23 AM »

How do you choose which books to use?

3) A beautiful illustrated 1912 edition of Henry Van Dyke's Little Rivers - Essays on Profitable Idleness  - the cover has gorgeous Art Nouveau illumination with sprays of gold leaves on the spine and calla lilies on the front; unfortunately, the pages are badly water-damaged (which is why I snagged it for $1 at my local library store); my extremely loose plan for this one, to be executed once I have a better idea what I'm doing, is to take out most or all of the signatures and just use the cover - maybe replace the pages with a box of the same dimensions.

This sounds like an excellent idea!....the box would still show the beautiful cover.....OR,

Have you considered making a purse out of it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grapefruiit
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2006 11:42:21 PM »

Art Nouveau  ........ *drools*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ACTersUnite
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2006 12:32:15 AM »

I would love to join. It is my new passion too. If anyone lives in MN or Northwest WI the MN altered book group thru Yahoo meet Sunday, August 13th. email me at cmhatcstamper@yahoo.com for more info. I have some messages to write so I can join in Smiley since I still a newbie. I'm currently working on a book that I bought on etsy that looks like a tag with the round hole in the top-like on hotel do not disturb signs-Cool huh. There are great links at lisavollrath.com and altered books group thru yahoo and give great tutorials, how to etc with really good directions. Email me for more specifics and let me know if you live in the Midwest!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitsuneh
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2006 07:19:38 PM »

So, have people really started yet? I think this is an awesome idea so maybe I could join in?

Mmm, must go find book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Crochet Knotted Head Wrap
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...