A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 314,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
343 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brake band/Drive band problem: Ashford Trad. (I can't seem to make yarn.)  (Read 986 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« on: April 13, 2006 05:07:47 PM »

Hi everybody. I posted a while back about needing parts for an Ashford Traditional that I found at an estate sale. 

Lucky me, the parts finally arrived today.  Unlucky me, I'm having one major problem.

SITUATION: I'm having major issues with driving this thing.  The drive band is on properly.  The brake band is on properly (I think).  However, when I start to treadle, there is absolutely no predictability as to what will spin when the wheel gets going.  If I loosen up on the brake band, the bobbin spins at the same speed as the flyer and no happy yarn gets wound on.  If I tighten up on the brake band, the flyer stops flying entirely, regardless of my treadling and the movement of the wheel.  Twice in the last three hours have I found that happy medium where the flyer is moving properly and the bobbin has enough tension on it to actually let some yarn wind on.  I have thus far produced about three yards of very ugly yarn.

I realize I'm a newbie at this, and that I have just enough information to make me completely dangerous.  If you have any guidance, it will be greatly appreciated.
Offline Offline

Posts: 1976
Joined: 07-Dec-2004

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006 08:16:14 AM »

If you post a photo(s), someone could check to make sure that you do have everything on correctly. Tension is a tricky thing sometimes. I remember just having to constantly tick back and forth with the Ashford traditional until I found the right tension for me. I presume you've got your lead yarn tied fairly tightly on the bobbin? I have found that if I tie my lead yarn too loosely, it sometimes doesn't like to take up at first. And then it's hooked across the flyer hooks, and strung through the orifice?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006 08:21:31 AM by TheBon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006 08:38:19 AM »

Thanks so much for the reply.  I don't have a digital camera (gasp), but I've realized that it is very much a tweaking issue. 

I was definely having some problems with my lead yarn, and those have been corrected.  And other than that, I think it's just a matter of finding that sweet spot with the brake tension.

I'm a bit of an instant-gratification type person, so I always expect to be able to sit down and do something on the first try.  I just need to be patiend and give it some time and a lot of practice, and I'm sure things will come together.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006 01:53:04 PM »

I'm glad you worked it out!  I had the same prob when I got my first wheel (an Ashford traddy too!).

It took a fair few hours, and lots of naughty words before I'd managed to get the whole thing tension right, but once I'd done it once, it was no probs again.

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
~ B. F. Skinner
Offline Offline

Posts: 536
Joined: 25-Jun-2005

If sense were common, Everybody would have some..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006 06:49:11 PM »

I had a few odd things because mine was also from an estate, but off ebay. I finally figured out later after engineering some intresting apparatus to get it to work before I discovered I needed a knob and the brake band went to it. First I just used kitchen cotton  yarn to tie it and adjusted it and cut the knot real short. You wouldn't believe that it actually worked....Anyway, the I got a replacement peg that winds the tension brake, what a difference..It's a little fussy though and I had to shave it down a bit though. Just keep trying.
Benevolent Goddess of Worm-spit and Sunshine
Offline Offline

Posts: 193
Joined: 15-Nov-2004

Nope, nothin' here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006 10:01:10 PM »

One thing that you can do is swab out the inside of the bobbins with an oily bit of steel wool, sometimes its not a braking issue so much as a little bit of metal has oxidized and is jamming up the bobbin on the flyer shaft.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Coral Bead Bracelet
Flowers In Your Hair
Meatless Monday: Charred Jalapeno Corn Salsa

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.