A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,701
Currently Running With Scissors:
184 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Crafty Wedding Craftalong!  (Read 331635 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , martha_stewart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Craftinator
« Reply #430 on: November 11, 2007 01:13:05 PM »

Thekster -

I haven't worked with marshmallow fondant yet but I'm going to try some soon so I don't know what happens in the long term.  But, with Wilton fondant, it dries hard - really hard.  I was thinking about it and instead of solid fondant in the molds, i would roll the fondant out to about 1/4 inch then press it into the mold and trim the edges.  It would need to air-dry for quite a long time, 3 days at least.  You wouldn't need to put them in the freezer.  I would line a cardboard box (shoebox??) with paper towel and layer the shells in the box with paper towel between each layer and store them in a corner somewhere, away from heat. If you store them tight, like in sealed tupperware or something, if there is any moisture at all in the container, it will melt the fondant to some extent.

As to thawing, it depends on the size, of course.  When I worked in the local grocery store bakery, all of our cakes were frozen.  I would let the full size sheet cakes thaw for 2 - 3 hours before I cut them or decorated them.  Also, I didn't mention it but the cakes could be frosted BEFORE you freeze them but the cake HAS to be at room temparature before you frost it and you have to find a way to cover it with saran wrap without messing up the frosting.  You could either put it in a box and double wrap the box or put toothpicks all around the edge and one or two in the middle to keep the saran wrap off the frosting.

I found a good article about freezing and thawing cakes:

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/message/saved/BAKINGPROBLEMS.htm

And if you click 'home' while on that page, it takes you to a reeeeeeally nice cake decorating site with lots of cool ideas.

If the fondant shells are not put on the cake until the morning of the wedding, they shouldn't get sticky.  I can't wait to see how things turn out!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LindsayLuu
« Reply #431 on: November 12, 2007 07:25:29 AM »

marshmallow fondant gets damp and sticky if you put in in the fridge.  The moisture is not good for it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftinator
« Reply #432 on: November 12, 2007 08:26:30 AM »

lindsayluu -

If you leave marshmallow fondant out to dry, does it dry hard or does it stay a little soft?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LindsayLuu
« Reply #433 on: November 13, 2007 09:55:43 AM »

It doesn't dry super hard like gumpaste would.  I haven't used any other type of fondant, so I don't know how it would compare to that.  You can harden mmf (marshmallow fondant), but if you put it in the fridge it just softens again.  Hope that helps. 

I've leared everything I know about making cakes from www.cakecentral.com.  just do a search on "MMF"

Hope that helps!  I am SO not making my own wedding cake, btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhettsmommy
« Reply #434 on: November 13, 2007 11:05:45 AM »

Okay, I think I have figured it out...maybe.  Here are a couple pics of some of my red/turquoise things so far.  Will add more when I get more pics taken.

bridesmaids necklaces 

Practice unity candle

Hand tooled leather guest book cover (I did not do this myself, but I had to share, I think it turned out gorgeous!)

Beads to hang from corners of red tablecloth overlays

I hope these come thruogh.  I also have the flower girl head piece done, will pull it out and get pic on here.

Bridesmaids will be wearing red dresses, guys in tan tuxes with red ties.
Tan tablecloths with red overlays, except wedding party tables will have 2 red runners (didn't want the girls red dresses against the red overlay).  What do you all think so far???

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007 11:21:06 AM by rhettsmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
zarafa
« Reply #435 on: November 13, 2007 04:56:25 PM »

rhettsmommy, i really like the bridesmaid necklaces.  and your unity candle reminds me that i should really do that too Smiley

here is part of the first bridesmaid wrap i am knitting.  i've probably got another half skein of yarn (maybe a foot of knitting) left on this one.  then three more to make. 

here's a close up of the lace pattern.  it will look much better once its finished and blocked.  then it won't curl up on itself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thekster
« Reply #436 on: November 13, 2007 09:18:12 PM »

Soooo I went shopping today. I went to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and Dollar Tree. I went to the first two to look for a purse frame (which I didn't find!) and ended up buying more pink flowers, my toasting glasses, three crystal-looking candle holders (one can be inverted to hold the pillar, but I'm afraid it won't be sturdy enough so I may modify the base a bit,) a garter, heart cooking pans to make mixed color crayons, two mini paper punchers (1 with a seahorse and 1 with a palm tree) that I figure I can probably work into the invitations somehow, and two pearly letters (J & K) that could possibly work as cake toppers. I couldn't find an L (last name) for the life of me so I
may have to make that one too. I have pictures of everything but I had to take them with my mom's camera, and I have to use her comp to upload them but she's on it so I'll post later.
I saw a cute flowergirl basket (like another one I saw on here before) but I didn't want to buy it yet because I don't know if his niece will be old enough to walk down the aisle and throw the petals so I don't want to waste money.
All the (cheap) white purses I've seen, I haven't really liked soooo I think I may make a clutch purse. Unfortunately, I can't find the stupid kiss clasp (or a purse frame, whatever it's called.) Sucks. I've checked Hobby Lobby and Michael's, and I saw some at Hancock Fabric but they were too ornate. Does anyone know where else I can find them? I'd prefer somewhere not online, but if that's all there is, can someone reccommend and reputable place?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
thekster
« Reply #437 on: November 14, 2007 12:51:09 PM »

As promised, here are pictures!

I'm considering decorating them. I like the "mr." and "mrs." thing like on here http://store.weddingsolutions.com/wedding_store/popup_image.php/pID/98790.
The mini punches didn't show up so well. The one on the left is a seahorse, on the right is a palm tree.
J & K.. need to find/make an L
Garterbelt and the heart foil pans.
Unity candle holders. The middle one IS upside down.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007 12:51:33 PM by thekster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 14, 2007 12:58:13 PM »

He he he!!  I'm all giddy about your purchases.  What fun stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
sunnydays914
« Reply #439 on: November 14, 2007 01:15:08 PM »

There is very little that can turn the day around for the better than walking into a craft store  Grin

This weekend's goal is to repaint the unity candle holder. We'll see if it happens around writing my thesis for undergrad and visiting with friends that are here for the weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Backpack For Your Dog
Tute Tuesday: Insulated Lunch Sack
Take a Bath!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...