A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 320,815
Currently Running With Scissors:
111 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Crafty Wedding Craftalong!  (Read 324255 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , martha_stewart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

march
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2007 01:23:51 PM »

The bridal shower invites are the place to put registry cards. Typically bridal showers are thrown for you, so it's not like you're actually telling everyone to hit up linens n things to buy you the fiesta ware you want.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeweledmonkey
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2007 06:44:37 PM »

You know what's weird, is that in my culture you don't usually have registries yet I was asked why we didn't have one when we had an engagement party, as if not having one was being looked down upon. I thought it was weird so we have a registry now. They gave us the cards that we didn't send with the invitations but added to our website and now, I am getting feedback that the items are not many and that I should have listed more. You can never please when you are trying to please the etiquette crowd, so do whatever is best for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul
Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2007 08:26:56 PM »

As someone who has read and digested and decided very carefully what parts of etiquette Im paying attention to and what Im discarding as nonsense  Cheesy  I will say this:

Yes, its considered poor etiquette to include anything about gifts in your wedding invitation.  Alternatively, it is completely acceptable to include them in showers (that is, after all, the point of showers, plus you dont throw them for yourself, so its not in poor taste)

That said, obviously, it depends on whether you adhere to that rule of etiquette or not.  Most of the time if people want to know, theyll ask, or theyll find out if/when they get an invite to the shower.  Alternatively, if you have a wedding website, you CAN include it on there.  So what weve done is on the outside envelopes of our save the date cards, weve invited people to visit our wedding website which is hosted by theknot.com right now (we may do one on our own soon) and on that website, it has our registry information.

Whatever people are comfortable with is what it all comes down to, but thats the "official" etiquette rule...please believe, I own and read an ENTIRE book just on wedding etiquette  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
Marryland

sometimes there just aren't enough rocks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2007 10:11:54 PM »

I just had this conversation with one of my friends who is getting married in May. We came to the conclusion that if people want to know they'll ask and if they're too shy to ask, they can look at their website.
My friends fiance is a computer programmer and is very gifted when it comes to designing websites so they added a line at the end of the invitation that said the guests could go online and find a map to the location, RSVP, see photos of the planning stages, etc (the registry information is also on the website but they chose not to include it on the invitation). It's really neat to see the pictures from the invitation making party, an up-close-and-personal photo of her ring, and the family engagement party. I will definately have to keep that idea stored away for my wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Erin -
kristiface
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2007 11:13:13 PM »

I agree that it totally depends on your circumstances Smiley  I just wanted you to know what you could be getting into if you didn't know already! 

Again, technically, ettiquette says you shouldn't put your registry information in your invitation.  Period.  That includes registry cards that you slip into your invitation-- the stores don't give those to you because they're helping YOU out, they give them to you because they're directing people to buy something from their stores.  We chose not to put our registry information in our invites because I had LOTS of family on my invite list who would have been offended and because I think the rules are there for a reason.  Instead, we included our wedding website on the invite where there was a TON of wedding info (directions, hotels, places to eat, etc.) and included a link to our registries there. 

And Emily Post would be okay with registry info on a bridal shower-- someone else is throwing you the party-- you are not asking for gifts yourself.  That's the "technical" difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
Shimmer413

i'm a non-monotasker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2007 07:52:16 AM »

We are doing exactly what you girls are talking about... We have setup a wedding website (www.freewebs.com/jayandsarah for anyone who wants to check it out... it took lots of time, so the more people that see it, the better!).  We have listed our registry info on the website, but no where else.  We just sent out Save the Dates and listed our website there.  We will not include those little slips of paper that the stores give you in our invites when we get around to doing those.  It's such a touchy thing, so just do what your gut tells you.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like to dabble in it all... curiosity keeps me crafty.

my blog: paper + stitch
*MAR*
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2007 11:54:41 AM »

We are doing exactly what you girls are talking about... We have setup a wedding website (www.freewebs.com/jayandsarah for anyone who wants to check it out... it took lots of time, so the more people that see it, the better!).  We have listed our registry info on the website, but no where else.  We just sent out Save the Dates and listed our website there.  We will not include those little slips of paper that the stores give you in our invites when we get around to doing those.  It's such a touchy thing, so just do what your gut tells you.   Smiley

Your website looks great! I wish I had the time/resources to do that. It would be so much easier to give people a web address, than to individually send out all that info. Great resource and really handy for guests. Great job!

I'm under the four month deadline now, and starting to panic with all the things I still have to or want to, do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2007 03:02:00 PM »

The thing I've discovered about having a website is that it doesn't really eliminate [for me] the need to send information. Some of the folks we're inviting [especially the older folks] don't own computers or have access to the internet. It did let me pare down the amount of information that we had to give though. For instance, we're not giving detailed maps to the wedding site [the wedding site is 15 miles from the hotels, and kind of in the middle of nowhere] so we're adding a folded insert to the invitations that just says that detailed directions can be found online and if need be they can contact us at [our phone numbers] in order to have us mail those directions to them. Plus, we have both a "suggest-a-song" form and an online RSVP system [well, that's coming, it's not quite built yet.] Luckily, I'm marrying a web programmer so while time consuming, it's been low-cost [the cost of the domain name only since we host several sites for the same hosting cost.]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007 10:34:31 PM by TheBon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
march
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2007 07:03:30 PM »

I so want a wedding website! I'm really impressed with the detail and time you all put into your sites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2007 03:16:34 PM »

agreed, TheBon - having a site is nice for extras but I think mailed invites are classier and work for all levels of techo-knowledge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: The Red, White, and Blue
May 23, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Candy Wrapper Bracelet

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...