A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
174 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decoupage paper  (Read 4237 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
China690
« on: April 07, 2006 10:13:19 PM »

I have some images thet I printed out on my inkjet printer then decoupaged to my project but unfourtunately the ink on the papaer ran a little causing the image to become a little blurry Im currently using soft gloss photo paper (matte doesn't do the image justice) and Royal Coat Decoupage finish to glue and seal is there a special papaer I need to use or do i need to use a different product to glue and seal please help.... I love doing this project it has been a great stress release any advice one could give would be great ...thanks  Roll Eyes

THIS ROCKS   Logged
thiticalcrinking
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006 12:29:43 AM »

I've had that happen too with a collage I was making on a cigar box cover--the image was printed onto regular paper with an inkjet printer which is the problem.  One thing I've done to combat this that I've had lots of success with is to find a sealer for your picture sure as getting a spraycan of an acrylic sealer or they even have glossy clear paint in spray cans that works well.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Subversive

Living in hope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006 04:52:49 AM »

Unfortunately, inkjet printing is water soluble, so that's the issue, not the paper.  I've heard that spraying the image with hair spray works, or, as thiticalcrinking (great handle, BTW) said, spray sealer of some sort.  There's actually a spray sealer specifically for decoupage, but I'd bet that pretty much any spray sealer would work and might be less expensive than a specialized product like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Capultum habeo.  Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxem mittam.  (Translation:  I have a catapult.  Give me all your money or Ill fling enormous rocks at your head.)
Ayms
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006 12:43:33 AM »

Hello everyone, I am also having an isse with decoupage. I have been using modpodge but have been getting unsighly brush stroke streaks when sealing. I've used an artists brush, sponge, spatcula, and finally my finger and keep getting the same result. I'm working with magazine ads and was wondering what spray sealers any of you might suggest? Do polycrylic sprays work with paper?

I appreciate ANY advise or suggesions.
ayms.

PS... LOVE this friggin site!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

Fuelling obsession that borders psychosis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006 08:31:17 AM »

I haven't tried it yet, but I saw on DIY network on the carol dovall show I think it was (spelling??). The guest said to set the image in the paper by baking it in the oven at 200 for 5-10 minutes if you are using regular paper in inkjet. I'm not sure if this will work for photopaper too...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You came in from the darkness and held the door open wide
You stood there like a vision before my unbelieving eyes
I believe in what I see and also what I hear
But did the night play tricks on me or were you really there.
Ayms
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006 09:22:04 AM »

Thanks, I'm going to pick up a can and test it. I'll let you know how it turns out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaryllisroze

Member of the Papercraft Gang

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006 08:21:44 AM »

Hello everyone, I am also having an isse with decoupage. I have been using modpodge but have been getting unsighly brush stroke streaks when sealing. I've used an artists brush, sponge, spatcula, and finally my finger and keep getting the same result. I'm working with magazine ads and was wondering what spray sealers any of you might suggest? Do polycrylic sprays work with paper?

I appreciate ANY advise or suggesions.
ayms.

PS... LOVE this friggin site!

Personally, this is another reason I don't like Modge Podge and highly recommend something like the Liquitex Matte Medium. It has a much better texture, don't leave brush strokes like you mention and also, doesn't stay sticky like MP usually does. Its more expensive that MP, but to me, totally worth it.

(I swear I don't work for Liquitex - I'm just a fan!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
Ayms
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006 09:28:23 AM »

Awesome... I'm going to try it... thanks for the tip.., I appreciate it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Subversive

Living in hope

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006 12:08:24 PM »

Personally, this is another reason I don't like Modge Podge and highly recommend something like the Liquitex Matte Medium. It has a much better texture, don't leave brush strokes like you mention and also, doesn't stay sticky like MP usually does. Its more expensive that MP, but to me, totally worth it. (I swear I don't work for Liquitex - I'm just a fan!)

Golden (brand) Matte Gel Medium works the same way and is somewhat less expensive than the Liquitex where I am. (around $9 for the jar vs. $11 for Liquitex)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Capultum habeo.  Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxem mittam.  (Translation:  I have a catapult.  Give me all your money or Ill fling enormous rocks at your head.)
thiticalcrinking
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006 09:31:41 PM »

If you are trying to fix the modge podge brushstrokes trying buying wet sandpaper (I got a pack of five sheets at Lowes for $2.50) and soaking it in water.  Then form the wet sandpaper around your finger and use small circles to smooth out the modge podge layers.  It will turn that cloudy white while wet but should dry smoother and perfectly clear.

I use acrylic sealer I bought at Wal-mart (I think Plaid brand) and it has done a really good job of waterproofing my projects. 

As for the artists medium gel, I've used it before but I was wondering if they made it in finishes besides matte (I haven't seen it before) because for a lot of my projects I like a glossier finish.  I will say that using a glossy finish acrylic sealer after the matte medium gel does a good job but it leaves the finished project a little darker than if modge podge and sealer is just used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...