A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
214 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A beanie with a bill. Inspired by newsboy, rasta, cabbie caps. Now w/tut &pics  (Read 43010 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007 08:25:59 PM »

You have hit on one of my secret loves, multi-stranded crochet (for when you want it right NOW).   Smiley  This is so simple and I think that is what makes it so lovely.  I think I'll make one too, but I have to go convert it into Aussie first.  Don't worry though, it only takes a minute.  Grin

*edit*
OK.  Translation done.  I am almost halfway done with the crochet now.  I wanted to show you all an in progress pic before I retire for the evening, but photobucket will not cooperate right now.  Embarrassed  But the good thing is, I'll probably be done by the time it is up again.   Cheesy  Thanks for the pattern.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007 12:26:16 AM by Miss_Vicki - Reason: further info added to end » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007 09:32:12 PM »

OK done, so I won't bother with an in progress pic.  Here is mine.

I didn't work the decreases in row 11, mine didn't seem to need it.  But I had to work 2 extra rows at the end of the main part as I fell short on length.  I think I used a thinner yarn than Red Hart is.  It was Sean Sheep Classic BTW (and a 5.5mm hook), 100% wool from my desk drawer stash.  My yarn choice seems to have messed with my bill shape quite considerably.  It turned out to be a frill rather than a bill at first LOL.  So I reworked it so that I only increased every second stitch in row 2 of the bill, instread of every stitch.  Actually, I had to make so many changes that I have to wonder if my 'translation' was correct.  But it doesn't matter because it only took me about 2 hours total anyway. 

My bill is a little bumpy from the increases, so I need to block it.  Actually I may try to get away with ironing it instead, I don't fancy blocking something this shape or so thick.

Also I'd work a wider bill next time, mine is only 20 stitches across.  It is fine but I think it would look better just a tad bigger.

I am seriously considering working another of these triple or quadruple stranded on about an 8mm hook and fulling it.  I have a lot of this wool in my stash and it is too itchy for wearables that aren't hats.  What do you all think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
groschveux
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007 07:46:10 AM »

Hi!

Thank you for sharing the brim tutorial with us! I made a hat for my daughter Sara yesterday, and she wanted a brim added on to it. So with a little bit of searching, i found your tut on craftster. Gotta love Craftster!!! :]  The brim didn't turn out that well, one of the corner is rolling upwards. I'm fairly new to crochet so I think I just need to practice more.

Anyways, here it is..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2007 09:33:57 PM »

I love it.  Great colors Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
tiegh
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007 11:40:39 AM »

Miss_Vicki and groschevux, I love your hats!  I think they both turned out well.  Some hats I've seen in stores have some sort of cardboard inside the brim.  I don't haven't tried that, but I suppose that would make the brim more sturdy and shapely.  Make a crochet pocket then put the cardboard inside before attaching it to the hat.  I'll try something like this and post my results.  Winter is coming and it's supposed to be a cold one.  Yuck.  BTW, I spent last winter down under.  I got a sunburn Christmas eve.  So bizarre...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007 02:26:34 PM »

Love your version! Very pretty color combo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
MEshelltakeone
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007 02:17:04 PM »

I used the wonderful tut as well, and modified mine just a tad with some bill embellishment: boyfriend is modeling for me

and here is a good shot of said modification:

mine has a "helmet" look to it, i like it.  Grin

THANKS A TON!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michelineestmorte
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007 07:48:20 PM »

I absolutely had to try this on my own... what an awesome hat! I'm new to crochet, so the bill came out a bit wonky for me (I have to shape it to get it to look right...) but overall I think I did an alright job. Thanks so much for this tutorial, I'd like to try it again sometime Cheesy Lovely hats, by the way!

Here are a few pictures of my creation (the flash was automatic, so everything is lighter in the foreground...):

The hat (you can tell when I realized I was going to run out of pink, haha):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2119/2073028864_c29e700786.jpg

Action shot! (Kinda camera shy... plus this thing kinda makes me look like Strawberry Shortcake Wink )

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2026/2073028882_385db2560f.jpg

Thanks again and happy crocheting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizgrace77
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2008 09:45:00 PM »

I loved your hat so I made one too. It turned out a little different but still super cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizgrace77
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008 09:48:54 PM »

I could not figure out how to post my picture of my hat with everyone elses on your tutorial... I am still kinda new here. So go check it out under the crochet category.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
April 24, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...