A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 314,793
Currently Running With Scissors:
288 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Left handed = mom in tears  (Read 2662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

tonicangel
« on: March 22, 2006 08:50:54 PM »

My mom is making the one skein scarf and halfway done with the pattern. She is left handed. The 3 rows of DC and the shell stitches worked fine. Then she reached the end of the first shell repeat where the shell curves around the short end of the scarf. Well this is where it gets complicated. Apparently when you crochet there is a rs & ws like knitting.. I knew that but didn't know what it ended up looking like until tonight. I am a new crocheter (thank you SO much i FINALLY got how to crochet) so I do not understand how to "reverse" a pattern for left handers. Is there any way I can figure out how to even out this pattern with it looking symmetrical? My mom is crying and super upset screaming how she's going to throw it in the trash when she's spent all this time on it. She refuses to learn how to crochet right handed because she's been crocheting left handed for 2 years (all scarves.) Any help you could give me would be absolutely fabulous. I feel awful as it is because she's so upset and I cannot figure out how to help her out besides teaching her right handed (which is not an option at the moment.) I would appreciate ANY suggestions you wonderful people might have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Singlemom
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006 09:31:20 PM »

I'm a lefty crocheter (and a lefty knitter), so most charts are difficult for me to follow, too. I try to visualize the chart in a "mirror" image to help myself out. It might help your mom if you drew a mirror image of the chart out for her.

I wish I had a better answer than this. I'm going to try crocheting a sample of this, so maybe I can get a better idea of how to help. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Singlemom
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006 10:01:48 PM »

Okay...I must be too tired...I tried doing a swatch of this scarf, but I'm not getting the same result your mom did.

When she was starting to make the shells on the outside, did she turn (so she was working on the long end first) or did she just keep going across the short edge? A quick solution that I can think of is to frog it back to the beginning of the shells, then going the opposite way (starting with the big shell on the end instead of across the long edge, or vice versa, if she did the short shell first).

I hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tonicangel
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006 05:16:48 AM »

Okay, she ended up going along the foundation row and starting her 3 rows of DC. Then she started her shell sittch. now she has gone around one short end of the scarf. Now she is trying to go across the opposite long side of the scarf. The problem  is now this side looks like an entire row of the "butt" loop of a crochet chain and not the V's of a crochet chain. When she crochets into the "butt" loops the result is a slightly (but very noticible) hole in the middle of the shell stitch where it fans out. This side she is having to make up her own pattern to get the shells to be symetrical which works out but it's very hard to do the shells into the butt of the chain. I guess this would be the better explanation. Last night I was too frustrated to be coherent. lol Cheesy The shells are ending up looking backward on this row when you look at the scarf from the RS also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006 09:45:13 AM »

I just got the book last night and am a lefty so I will give it a try soon (this Sunday at the earliest) and see what I come up with. I haven't done many fancy stitches so it will be a learning experience.

I didn't least to do more than one chain for the longest time as my grandmother was right handed and all her books said to do it right handed or just don't do it.  Tongue Then I found that my lefty sister crocheted left handed so she helped me.

Too bad I didn't bring the book to work today so I could look at the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
Orange Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006 10:31:26 AM »

I'm left-handed too and was taught to crochet by my neighbor who was right-handed.  When she taught me we put a mirror on the table and i watched that instead of her hands.  I found it to be helpful maybe it'll help you guys too?  The only time its become an issue is doing filet crochet work as the images come out on the wrong side when crocheted lefhanded.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Singlemom
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006 11:16:53 AM »

The problem  is now this side looks like an entire row of the "butt" loop of a crochet chain and not the V's of a crochet chain. When she crochets into the "butt" loops the result is a slightly (but very noticible) hole in the middle of the shell stitch where it fans out. This side she is having to make up her own pattern to get the shells to be symetrical which works out but it's very hard to do the shells into the butt of the chain. I guess this would be the better explanation. Last night I was too frustrated to be coherent. lol Cheesy The shells are ending up looking backward on this row when you look at the scarf from the RS also.

On one side of the scarf, you would be shelling into the butt loop of the chain. The hole that she is getting may be because her chain was knit a bit too loosely. Sometimes you can't tell these things until you're already there. I have the opposite problem when I crochet sometimes -- I chain so tightly that it's hard to get one stitch in the foundation row, let alone a whole shell.

I'm sure your mom's scarf will be beautiful. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nyoqu
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006 07:57:16 PM »

There are photocopiers out there that will mirror the image of the pattern for you, which could be helpful with a graphic pattern.  it takes a good amount of brain-strain to do it otherwise and can make for a less-than-relaxing experience. And the whole point of crocheting is to have fun with it.

As a lefty I've always found it helpful to pretend that my left hand is my right hand when following instructions. Or, substitute the term "right hand " with "dominant hand" and "left hand" with "non-dominant hand".

As with SNB knitting I find the Happy Hooker to be severely lacking in left-handed help (sorry Debbie!) and wouldn't recommend the stitch instructions for a left-handed crocheter, unless it's someone with a good amount of experience following (and converting) patterns.

Whatever you do, DON'T have her switch to right-handed. (That hurts even thinking about it, yikes!) It would be like trying to get someone to write with the wrong hand. I have crocheted left-handed for 8 years and still can't even do a chain with my right hand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Semlor aka Swedish Cream Buns
@Home This Weekend: Boho Wall Hanging
Tute Tuesday: Fabric Snail

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...