A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,635
Currently Running With Scissors:
132 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sophie Knitalong  (Read 11389 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
destroyed_sweater
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2005 09:18:16 PM »

My finished felted Sophie bag is...5.25" tall, 8" wide at the bottom, and 6.5" wide at the top.  It went through 2 complete cycles in the washer to make the fabric more dense (I thought that it would make my bag less stretchy, but it ended up very small) and to make my garter stitch bumps disappear entirely.  I didn't take any pictures before felting it, but I remember that it was big enough to fit on my friend Steve's head as a hat, and it could be pulled down over most of his face.  So felting makes the bag considerably smaller.  If I were to make the bag again, I'd double strand the yarn on the base and handles of the bag to make them thicker.  I'd also increase the number of rows between decreases to make the bag taller overall.  I'm going to try lining the bag with some fabric and maybe reinforcing the thing with either cardboard or fusible interfacing.  Sophie is still a cute pattern though.
-Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vysews
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2005 10:25:07 PM »

Thank you for your insights, Kate

I like the idea of trying to double-up on the yarn to reinforce the bags and handles. I'm a newbie, so this is probably a silly question, but...if I were to do that, would I still use the same size needles or would I need to do something different?

V
THIS ROCKS   Logged

destroyed_sweater
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2005 10:31:18 PM »

I'd use the same size needles for that.  It might make the gauge a little bigger, but it's no matter since the purse can be any size, there are the same number of stitches to pick up, and the whole thing is going to be felted anyway.  Bigger needles would just make the knitted fabric looser which would defeat the purpose of double stranding the yarn.  Sophie is good for a newbie knitter, it was the first non scarf I made, and also the first pattern I read, first time using circular needles, first time making an i cord, first time making stripes, first time decreasing, and first felting project.  I just referred back to my Stitch and Bitch and felted away any mistakes I made.
-Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emphatica
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2005 03:43:39 PM »

I have made sophie using cascade 220 and lambs pride BULKY.  I liked the  finished texture of the cascade but it was floppy and I had to line it to give it shape - plus I felt like the handles were weak too.  I modified when I used the lambs pride I made the base a bit shorter and a good deal narower and didn't decrease the same, I would often only decrease 4 instead of 8 stitches one on each corner, the ones on the outside -hope that makes sense.  I did the decreases more often and knit fewer rows.  The results were a thick bag with sturdy handles and firm shape.  The yarn is twice as think as the 220 so vysewa it would be like doubling the 220, just easier and I think that Lamds pride has more fun colors.  It will stand up on its own it is so sturdy.  Oh I used bigger needles on the base to make picking up the stiches easier.  I will try to post photos someday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlniteowl

I'm a tasty knitter!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2005 07:23:32 PM »

i have made a few sophies or sophie-like bags.  if the bag itself seems floppy i would suggest trying to felt it more.   if the handles seem weak or flimsy i would also say felt it more, maybe not a whole wash cycle.  or you could do it by hand (tedious, but you might have more control over how much it felts)

i stupidly put an "empty" coffee cup upright intp my sophie and discovered that the soy chai was not totally finished and spilled a little sticky bit into the bag - so i re-felted it/washed it and it made the bag way stiffer and sturdier, and just a bit smaller.  this is a cascade 220 sophie.  i've also made a big tote bag size sophie following the pattern but using reynolds lopi for the yarn - it's huge!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lacklustre
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2005 10:49:34 PM »

I used Lamb's Pride as well, and I would agree - unless you're doubling up on the 220, I like Lamb's Pride better for this project - I think it makes sturdier bags.  I was worried about the twisted i-cord straps, too, plus I just didn't like the look of them, so instead of doing the i-cords, I just knitted one long strap in garter stitch.  So far it's holding up really well, although I think I want to make it even wider next time.  I posted this pic once already on the main knitting page, but here's my bag:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaybee
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2005 10:55:42 PM »

i made the sophie out of some australian wool(picked up at the lys--no label--and it's by weight not skein)it was huge before felting. it took one cycle in my top loading maytag----the bottom was to stretchy--but i was afraid it would be too small if i ran it thru another cycle---i put a piece of that ridgy plastic in the bottom--my daughter loves it---her friends all want it now.....

i finally loaded the picture(((thanks  natalie)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 03:06:53 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
luv2stitch

Sometimes it's knit and sometimes it's crochet.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2005 08:22:30 AM »

Here's a Sophie made from Patons Classic Merino-New Denim. I would have loved to make it in other colors but our store only has dull colors. I added a chain stitched loop and leather button.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 03:07:01 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinkerbell.fairy
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2005 06:21:58 PM »

Here's my Sophie bag knitted with Cascade 220:

I got more knitted projects on my blog if you want to check it out Smiley
http://kittyscorner.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zanti MissKnit

Formerly known as AndreaLH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2005 08:19:25 AM »

I've made two of these, and just finished felting the third.

First, for my mom with lamb's pride:

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=34688.0

Second, for me with JoAnn Sensations Licorice:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=37441.0

The third one (for my sister) was made with Cascade 220; two washes it felted up really fast and got really small -- I'm not sure if it is the yarn or the squirt of Dawn dish detergent I put in there (a recommendation I've heard).  I'll post pics of it soon.  It looks so good felted up that I think I may try to re-felt my Licorice purse, because I think it needs more felting. 

Andrea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Bow Sleeve T-Shirt
Fun and Games
Meal Prep Monday: Sausage and Veggie Foil Pouch

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...