A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
164 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dumpster diving for ponds!!!**UPDATED PICS**8/3/06  (Read 7375 times)
Tags for this thread: pond  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
roxy nova
« on: March 18, 2006 01:05:42 PM »

so, it started out with a pond liner that my boyfriend james found next to a dumpster. he brought it home to see if it leaked:

it didn't. turns out the people that threw it away were upgrading to a MUCH bigger better pond (we've peeked over their fence)...
so james started a project. a project to see what would happen if we put a pond in a rented backyard...so far the kids in our complex are mystified by it (and james). we are now those weird people who have a "pool in their yard for the ducks!" anyway, here's a retrospective of the process...

we picked a spot:

we dug a hole (gertie liked that part):

we dumpster dove cinder blocks:

we added plants and such:

we finished!!

the water is still too cold to add fish, but we plan on doing that later on too. hopefully all the plants around the pond will start growing and spreading out over the dirt. i'll take some pics when it's more filled out. anyway, hope you enjoyed our dumpster diving adventure!!!
thanks for lookin'!  Wink

**UPDATE**
it's been a while so i thought i'd add a picture of what we have now! the verbenas have grown like crazy (and their bloom cycles aren't the same, so the ones on the left will probably bloom this weekend while the others kinda fall off...). we've gotten some small, but pretty strawberries. the bluebonnets have gone dormant for now (it's just too dang hot for 'em). we've added several fish (2 goldfish, some mosquito fish, and some cardinal tetras). the lilies have flourished as well as the cattails. and our lawn needs mowing right now, so that's why it kinda just blends in! we also have to add water about once every week or two due to evaporation, and as you can see, i probably should've waited until this weekend when we do that and then you wouldn't have to look at the "ring around the pond." but oh well. hope you like it!

have a good one!!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006 04:39:52 PM by roxy nova » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I heard my mom say to her girlfriend, 'Any guy with feathered hair is *foxy*.'" --Bill Haverchuck
MADness323
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006 01:30:54 PM »

thats so awesome! how long did it take to put all that together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the earth was without form or glory.

MissGobby.etsy.com
lovelyislacey
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006 01:42:10 PM »

You guys are so lucky. I wish I could find a pond liner in sombodys trash. Everytime I go to the home and garden store I eye up the pond kits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxy nova
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006 01:45:40 PM »

thats so awesome! how long did it take to put all that together?

thanks!
this is actually over the span of about 3 weekends. since we both work not alot got done during the weekdays, but he pretty much dug the hole & did all the leveling one weekend, painted cinderblocks the next and last weekend we added all the soil, plants, and fountain. we live in west texas so you can pretty much garden and golf on any given day and last saturday was the most beautiful day for gardening! otherwise it probably would've taken us much longer or it would've had to wait until spring really started...

You guys are so lucky. I wish I could find a pond liner in sombodys trash. Everytime I go to the home and garden store I eye up the pond kits.

i'm just lucky james is so observant. i probably never would have noticed it there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I heard my mom say to her girlfriend, 'Any guy with feathered hair is *foxy*.'" --Bill Haverchuck
Strutter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006 02:09:53 PM »

That's awesome! The update looks really cool. I like the strawberries and fish.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006 06:36:36 PM by veganxwater » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafthippie
I <3 System of a Down!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006 06:02:49 PM »

That is so pretty! I wish my parents would let me have a pond, but I know my dog would be in it trying to get the fish. She'd probably even just sit in it. Tongue Great job!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Bombed and being bombed are the same things on different sides of the fence."
         ~Serj Tankian - System of a Down <3
Clever
trying 2 B Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006 08:47:22 AM »

That is waaaaaaaay cool Shocked 
I love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VoodooToaster
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006 10:35:34 AM »

Don't forget to add a filter if you add fish - otherwise you'll have some pretty scummy water pretty fast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DayTripper
Character is what you are in the dark.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine" Proverbs 17:22

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006 10:40:53 AM »

Awesome pond.....it's so cool!

-Day
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be a sinner and sin strongly, but more strongly have faith and rejoice in Christ."

-Martin Luther
blusky
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006 11:11:00 AM »

How cool...I am impressed that you found all those things in the dumpster.  I also like the green paint on the bricks, it looks nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...