A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
163 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tell me about your serger  (Read 3585 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
bigeyes
« on: March 16, 2006 09:17:38 AM »

I searched and the last serger thread was from 2004, sooooo....

can anyone tell me which sergers to avoid?  I am searching for a fairly cheap one, and would like to know if there are any that just plain suck, or any that are really great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
meanbean
Naughty, with a pinch of Nice for a good bite

The Means To Hold Your Beans

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006 08:09:33 PM »

I'm doing research too, the two places that seem to actually have reviews are amazon and eopinions
THIS ROCKS   Logged

macgirl_k
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006 06:51:54 PM »

How about a Kenmore 3/4D serger model 16641? Does anyone know anything about it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meriweather
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006 03:53:21 PM »

So, I have had 3 sergers. The first one was in the 70's and I never could get it to run, it would get loose with the tension, and was impossible to re thread. Thank heaven they have come along way. I bought the one I use now in the 80's it is a Bernina, and was costly, but the same level is cheaper now.
The main concerns are tension and threading
Do go in person, and see how easily you can thread the model.
Also whichever serger you have make sure it is in a stable place. They vibrate a lot, which works the tension undone. I sit mine on that slip free shelf lining .
If you buy a used machine, still be sure you can change the needle easily and thread the machine yourself, before you buy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magic happens
bigeyes
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006 03:56:32 PM »

thanks, meriweather, I didn't have any idea what to look for.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006 04:30:04 PM »

With sewing machines, you get what you pay for. Keep that in mind. For just a little money,  you can find a new stinky machine. For a little money, sometimes you can find an older machine that will need some work but will run for you.
My general advice when getting a machine- get an older one or an import. If you are lucky enough to find an older juki- SCORE!! Also, talk to your local sewing machine repair/sales person. People will trade in their machines and so you can get a reconditioned machine for a song.
I have a computerized elna, but I'm lucky to have a mom who worked in a sewing machine store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rough-hew
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006 09:05:39 PM »

I would say definitely go for the two needle models.  My serger, which was given to me by a friend only has one needle which means that i have to also sew a seam in with my regular machine (which is a giant pain in the bum).  However, if that thought of doing that doesn't phase you (though I assure you it is really irritating) then the mini serger (which I don't think they make anymore, but you might find at a garage sale or on ebay) is not a bad opition.  Just ask if you want more info or if i made no sense at all (which is entirely possible. damn you, allergery medicine, damn you.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OrangePeel
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006 09:41:03 AM »

I can only tell you about the Serger I have... it's a Janome & we paid a bit more for it than perhaps necessary but it has 2 needles with 4 cones of thread -- plus it has tons of functions.  I got it because it does everything I could ever need a serger to do, plus some things I never thought I'd be able to do with a serger.  We bought mine on sale and it included some of the optional feet (beading foot, cording foot, gathering foot, etc.).  You can view the model here:  http://www.janome.com/product_show.php   

I would suggest that whichever serger you do choose, I'd recommend 2 needles as well as a cutter!   Good Luck!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You might be a quilter if:
you smuggle your fabric stash in with grocery bags to fool your husband into thinking the grocery budget is going for food.

YUP!!  That's me!!!
bigeyes
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006 02:12:53 PM »

OrangePeel....which model is it?  The link took me to a blank page. 8(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...