A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 314,799
Currently Running With Scissors:
266 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: paper stars - stellated happiness [pix] TRY#2 -updates p.9, 11, 17, 18; tut p.15  (Read 68817 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

IchBeisse
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2006 09:17:10 PM »

Okay, I just had to try this for myself.  I have my piece all cut out nicely, but now I don't know what to do.  Even though its "stupidly easy", I'm stumped.  Any help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuperStinger
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2006 10:54:57 PM »

what one are you doing? fold where the lines are. in some of the patterns, some of the folds are the other direction, but thats usually shown by dotted lines i think. on each point there's a closing tab on the side of the triangles - once its all been folded, start by smearing a little glue all over that closing tab, fold the farthest-away side of that point over the glued tab, so its nice and straight. Once all the points are glued closed, it starts making sense where the between-points tabs live. then you glue those into place. if you want to hang it up, sometime before its all finished thread a needle with thread or fishing wire or whatever, make a real big knot in the end or knot it around a bead or something, and pierce one of the points from the inside with the needle. then when you do close up the star at the end the string comes straight out of it instead of having to have a visible loop and visible knot.
It helps make the folds easier if you score first, and it helps to score easier if you score before cutting. line up a ruler or something where the lines on the pattern are, hold it down, and drag the sharp point of a compass or something across the line, for every line. Not to cut the paper but to let the paper know where its supposed to fold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft_t_chic
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2006 11:00:22 PM »

AAAHHHH!!!! I am sooo amazed at the sheer beauty of these!!! I want to try it...I MUST! Seriously, yours are so pretty and so well done. I loved the pic of your apartment with all the stars hanging on your site...how cool!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

http://www.wists.com/craft_t_chic

Free gift with every purchase!
www.crafttchic.etsy.com
musicalif3
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2006 03:26:41 AM »

hiyo! firstly, WOW!!! that's like one of the most gorgeous things i've seen around here. so i saw it and i tried.. but i couldn't get how you stick the last piece (which is the one w/o tabs) securely onto the rest of the model. i tried but there was a persistant hole between the last 2 pieces and the rest of the model.. is there any tips or tricks to solve this? i took pix of mine and the hole, but somehow i can't get the pix out of the camera. will update. btw, fabulous again! =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scrappygirl085
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2006 04:10:16 AM »

Are you using regular computer paper?  I know you're looking for more weight, how about some heavyweight cardstock?    I agree w/ the person who suggested vellum, too.  There are alot of pretty ones out there.

Thanks for showing this.  Do you think it's easy enough to try w/ 9/10 y/o girl scouts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuperStinger
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2006 04:34:57 AM »

oh yeah, i hate that last part. I haven't really figured it out yet either. Usually wait till the glue's had a little time to dry a bit and thicken, spread glue on all the tabs at once and spread it up just a little bit onto the points the tabs are attached to and sometimes dip the bottom of the untabbed last point into the glue too. then just set it into place and hold it still and blow at the glue for a while and hope it works out OK. There's gotta be some kind of better way, and if you figure it out, let me know!

I dont know about 10 year olds at all. My neice is about that age, and I tried to see if she wanted to do any, but she didnt seem interested. All the sites I've seen suggest starting with the platonic solids cause they're simpler, but the small stellated dodecahedron seems especially easy I think. the compound of 5 tetrahedra looks supersimple and for me, at least, its one of the most annoying to put together, maybe because any flaw shows up more than in most cause its so obvious where the lines *should* be, and the pieces fit together funny. The ones on just 1 page look easier, cause they're just on 1 page, but that means tiny little folds and its kinda a hassle. But the small stellated dodecahedron on 1 page is easy and looks pretty. the great stellated dodecahedron is easier in the 2-page version than the 1-page version, but the largest pattern for that shape is easy too, I think, and it makes a nice big star, and I bet they'd like a big star. As a kid and maybe still now, i feel like bigger things are always more impressive even though it turns out smaller things are often more difficult. And making stars is a lot more fun than selling cookies!!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006 04:37:13 AM by SuperStinger » THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2006 10:51:10 AM »

ofercryinoutloud!  i was all mentally prepared to print those bad boy template out...had bookmarked the page and eveything.  and now it's GONE! 

does anyone have the pdf or a screenshot of the...the um...polyhexa...the big longer-pointed star?  actually, either star?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Origami folder
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2006 01:33:16 PM »

Me too.  I saw the template yesterday and thought I would come back today and now it's gone.  Would it be possible to get another?  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuperStinger
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2006 03:46:27 PM »

damn, that sucks - i hope it comes back soon. there are some i saved, so until that site's back up, go to http://www.waxor.com/~child/pdfs/stars for those patterns. Right this second I'm also slowly uploading other things to the directory http://www.waxor.com/~child/pdfs including patterns for non-star shapes, other paper projects to print and cut and glue (like cute birds and pandas and things - some of that shit's really really neat), boxes for the gamepieces for Settlers of Catan, FreeStateProject stickers, craft instruction pages from other places, really awesome short stories by ray bradbury, the full Enneagram test with the scoring chart (scanned from the book), a bunch of Lexx cross-stitch patterns, and whatever else I find that might be helpful or fun. But if you look right now, you won't see them, cause they're not uploaded yet. So far just the star patterns are up there. But just keep reloading. I don't know how long it'll take to up it all, cause there's a lot. But I hope its useful to someone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RunsWithTrowels

a little bit of trouble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2006 02:21:36 PM »

ok, i snagged the pdf files and printed out one of them...  can't remember which, but i didn't decorate my first tries...  what i need to know is, how do you glue down/secure that last tab without killing the rest of the star?

btw, i absolutely love your designs & the stars themselves.  i can smell christmas presents for half of my list this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dirt & Yarn Don't Mix<---shameless blog plug
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
November 14, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Bath Bombs
Rainy Days

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...