A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,893
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Satchel, modified  (Read 3233 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2006 10:20:54 PM »

It began with the Knitting Olympics. I wanted a bag. More precisely, I decided that I wanted to modify Knitty's Satchel to have a mosaic motif, instead of the pattern's stripes.

I cast on a couple of days late due to lack of yarn. I was indecisive throughout the whole project, beginning with the yarn colors. I chose four different hues of Cascade 220 in the end: Blue Hawaii, Bluestone, Chartreuse, and Highland Green. (At this point I was in a bit of a time crunch, as I was moving most of my life the same weekend the KO began.)

I started out with US 15 DPNs, doubling the yarn. Then after a while, I was afraid that I'd run out of yarn. I switched to US 8s and a single strand, only to discover that I hated it. So I cast on for a third time, once more on the 15s. I stuck there. I even managed to find a size 15 circ, which is no small feat in my hometown. I did start to run out of yarn when it came time for the strap, but I discovered a LYS with two of my four shades and was able to continue.

I was knitting for Team Make It Up As You Go Along. I think you could probably figure that out from the way my bag looks. My train of thought was roughly Waves! Diamonds! Seed-like spots! Uh ... line! Uh ... okay, just pick something, I'm tired!

About 1/3 through the body of the bag.

The FO after felting.

That lovely hourglass shape? I didn't aim for that. I kind of forgot to be a little bit looser while stranding. It will either stretch out over time, or it won't. I don't think I'll mind either way. I intend to make at least one pocket for the inside, as well as a little bag for knitting notions or whatever. First aid, maybe.

I finished the entire process on March 5, which included the felting and blocking (and drying) of the bag. The KO finished on Feb. 26. I was about a week late. But hey, now I have a sexy new bag for work tomorrow!

And I'm totally hooked on felting. (Fulling.)

You can view my entire Flickr photoset dedicated to my Knitting Olympics project here, or you can browse my blog to read about my project, if you like.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006 08:10:25 AM by xamonster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
ysolda
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006 12:37:09 AM »

i think it's ace - the shape is pretty cool even if it wasn't intentional and I loved your description of your process
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
-Keiko-

Fear the small, cute ones... >)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006 05:38:07 AM »

Love the design!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry blossom

nice head...i think i'll take it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006 08:19:51 AM »

wow this is gorgeous!  i love the colors you used and the design is really cool Smiley 
just a question, when you were drying it after it was felted, did you not stick a box in it or anything?  that would probably help make it more squarish.  just a thought Cheesy 

i love it though!  i think its awesome Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xamonster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006 08:42:13 AM »

Glad y'all like it. I'm using it today and love it to bits.

just a question, when you were drying it after it was felted, did you not stick a box in it or anything?  that would probably help make it more squarish. 

I did put a large phone book in it, and packed wadded up plastic bags around it. I think maybe I should have used my art history book instead. It's much bigger and more solid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

jezebel7383
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006 08:49:02 AM »

That's a gorgeous bag; you should be very proud of it! I love the colors too. Blue and green is always a good choice. I like all of the different designs on it too.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KnitterMa
Hey, Nice Veins.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006 09:19:20 AM »

If the reshaping doesn't work, maybe you could put a false bottom in it a la James Bond and hide your classified docs in it.   Cool

The colorwork is absolutely gor-geeeeeee-ous!  I like the randomness!  I like the dots!  I loooove the colors. 

A++++
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sherrie
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006 12:59:44 PM »

I love it! I want one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006 03:13:49 PM »

That lovely hourglass shape? I didn't aim for that. I kind of forgot to be a little bit looser while stranding. It will either stretch out over time, or it won't. I don't think I'll mind either way. I intend to make at least one pocket for the inside, as well as a little bag for knitting notions or whatever. First aid, maybe.

That ain't felted yet, my dear! Cascade 220 is notorious for taking multiple wash cycles to fully felt; ideally the stitches should disappear completely. Felting more might even out your shape too, if you wash it 3 (or 4... or 5...) more times.

Very cute, though!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
xamonster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006 04:20:42 PM »

I think I'll stick with what I've got for now, until I decide it needs another go in the wash. (Thanks for the input, though, natashafatale. I always like to know extra tidbits like that.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...