A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
161 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: finished hat turned out wonky(now w/pic)  (Read 593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
the_talk
« on: March 05, 2006 07:47:43 PM »

So I made a hat and the top turned out really wonky, which bummed me out. Thank you to Homerof2, who helped me get started. So my hat ended up with a huge point at the top! I would post a picture but the computer won't connect to the camera...so that's to come.

I used the pattern http://www.royalyarns.com/fp/TLC-Ccht/TLC-LW1379.pdf

I started getting confused on
Next Row: ch 3, skip first sc, [dc in next st, ch 1, skip next st, dc in nect st] 12 times: [yo and draw up a tp in next st, yo and drawn through 2 lps] twice yo and draw through all 3 lps on hook-dctog made--Don't under stand exactly what to do here, even though it explains it. Mind you I'm a self taught crocheter and have noone to help or show me so I often have a ton of questions.

Next Row: ch 1 [sc2tog] 9 times, sc in last st; turn
Next Row: Ch1, [sc2tog], 5 times-5 sts, fasten off
^--what does it mean by 5 sts(stitches)? I don't where to put those 5 sts or what?

So somehow I think I got lost in the pattern and decided to wing it and ended up with a big nipple ont he top of my hat! I'll post pictures a.s.a.p.

Thanks for the help!

my head is tilted so it looks like it's not on all the way, but it is!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006 02:21:34 PM by the_talk » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006 10:43:53 AM »

Next Row: ch 3, skip first sc, [dc in next st, ch 1, skip next st, dc in nect st] 12 times: [yo and draw up a LP in next st, yo and drawn through 2 lps] twice yo and draw through all 3 lps on hook-dctog made

okay.. that is just telling you how to do a decrease. that is all that is.  Essentially what it is trying to say is that you start your dc in one stitch - don't finish it though, start another dc in the next stitch and then when you get to your last step of the dc - that pull through the last two loops on your hook - you would pull through all the loops on your hook, including the ones from the previous dc that you didn't finish... you are decreasing...

Next Row: ch 1 [sc2tog] 9 times, sc in last st; turn
Next Row: Ch1, [sc2tog], 5 times-5 sts, fasten off

the 5 stitches is your total stitch count at the end of your row...that is all.  if you notice on the rest of the pattern, the total number of stitches is listed at the end of the row. 

On a side note, I wonder if this pattern was "checked" by the same person that "checked" the last pattern I got published - looks like the same terminology.  To me it sounds confusing but I had no say in it.  She told me that she is trying to change the way crochet directions are written.  I liked them the way they were - dc decrease is dc dec... not dc2tog well... off my high horse.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...