A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
131 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PLEASE help!  (Read 3392 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2006 08:44:46 PM »

Alright, I've made a few things for this teacher of mine, and the other day she stops me and says "can you look at a picture and make something from it?" So, thinking she's talking about a scarf or something, I say "normally, sure." So she shows me this picture...of this cardigan. From a magazine. It's an Oscar de la Renta...what she really likes about it is the sleeves and the belt and the "little holes in it"....the lace pattern.

Unfortunately, I can't get my scanner to work so that I can upload this picture..and I can't copy the picture from the website. But if you go here http://oscardelarenta.com/main.html and click on "runway" and then click on "spring 2006", it is the 13th picture in the sequence.

If anyone knows of any patterns even REMOTELY close to this, I would love love love to see them. If you know how I might be able to draft a pattern for this, I would love love love for you to share that information with me. I've never really taken on this big of a project, but I am really up for the challenge...Plus, she'd pay me...hello!

Please and thank you for any help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
designdiva18
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006 09:59:45 PM »

Geez.. why do even top designers think that the words crochet and knit are interchangable? Like its the same craft?

Anyways, this is mostly my seamstress eye, since I haven't been knitting too long, but sewing all of my life. I would say that you could start with any of the new patterns for the circular bolero jackets. Knitty's Blackberry would give you the proper measurements, you would just have to fiddle with the math and change the gauge around. If you took the back and fronts shapes from Blackberry, knitted the oscar de la renta ribbing (which kinda looks like a knit 3, then one purl stitch of eyelet)  and then added a lot of poof to a basic sleeve, you could probably wrangle it into this cardigan. As for what the lace is...? I'll leave that for a much more experienced knitter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crnaofca
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006 02:52:49 AM »

maybe it is really crocheted?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
Flod
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006 03:32:45 AM »

The desciption on the site says "crochet cardigan". Maby the crocheters can help you out?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006 03:35:18 AM by Flod » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006 05:29:57 AM »

Ok, I agree, it's one of those circulur shrug, cocoon, type deals.
The sleeves look like feather and and fan, but without the garter line in it and it's rotated every so many inches.
I can't tell much about the rest, but the collar frill looks like garter stitch and yo's to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006 06:32:39 AM »

littleone1098, here is a pic I made on my pc:

I hope you really like this teacher, and I hope she is paying you for the yarn and effort + time this is going to take! I don't know of one pattern that encompasses all that the sweater entails, so I think you will have to make one up. I do have a few suggestions, and I hope they help:

1. You may be able to just do the Circular Shrug, making sure you don't add any inches for cap sleeves, and instead of mock rib, do a lace pattern (I am not sure which one that is, but I am looking!) and instead of a normal 2x2 rib on each end, do a lacy rib stitch, like on Huhwhat?'s shrug, then pick up stitches on the armholes once it is seamed together, and knit sleeves with the same lace pattern you used for the body for about 12", then  decrese the stitches by half and knit for 3" in the same lacy rib you used for the edging. Sew three covered buttons onto the ribbing for decoration.

OR:

2. You could use a combo of the patterns for the shrugs I listed below, or you could pm the knitters: Top Down Raglan Shrug, orange_angel about her Knitted bed jacket, or Huhwhat? about her Romantic Lace Sweater or if you can crochet, here is the closest one: Crocheted Bed Jacket

I have no idea how you would do the little belt closure, I don't know if its knitted because I can't see it well enough in the pic...

I hope that helps!

Emms  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006 06:53:22 AM »

Thanks guys!

It's definitely knitted, crnaofca and Flod....people are just stupid.

I'm on my way out the door now, but I will for sure come back and check out those links later.

You guys are amazing. I love craftster.

lois- my teacher is paying for the yarn plus labor. If she weren't, this would be WAAAY out of the question. Also, thanks so much for getting the picture up here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
loisgriffinwannabe

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006 07:09:56 AM »

no prob Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

djinnj
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006 08:59:58 AM »

what an annoying website.

Any number of patterns could be on the sleeves for that result.  I'd say Ostrich Plumes (which is a variation of feather and fan) simply because I've been working with it recently and it's simpler (flatter) than F&F and I think the swirlyness of the pattern would work well with the shape of the sweater.

Not much to the body of the sweater in front, it's mostly that applied border of ribbing which naturally forms that shawl collar.  Finished with a bit of crochet, although I suppose you could work a picot edging.  Inset sleeves.  I doubt the body of the sweater has much shaping, but I think it's probably more close fitting than usual as it doesn't have to clear the hips.  The ribbing would do that without any extra shaping on the body.

Reasonably thick yarn.  DK or worsted, I think.  Depending on the stitch pattern.  There are shoulder pads too, to keep the gathered top of the sleeves shaped that way, you can actually see them as light spots under the fabric.  I'd ditch them and the buttons on the sleeves, myself, but it'll affect how the sweater sits.

I'd also say don't bother with the belt or make it separately.  It contrasts enough that at least to my eye it was added afterwards to keep the thing closed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006 09:04:13 AM »

what an annoying website.

LOL. I thought the same thing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...