A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,479
Currently Running With Scissors:
266 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need some help - grandmother's memorial scrapbook page  (Read 2176 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
mireneh

working like a dog?!?!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2006 10:10:46 PM »

I would like to make a scrapbook page (or possible a page to put in a picture frame) in honor of my grandmother who passed away a week and a half ago.  I have a small blurb (for lack of a better word) that I wrote and read at the funeral, a flower from the service, a music cd and a memorial video dvd, the memorial folder (kind of like a flyer), a poem my niece found and had the minister read along with her obituary and photograph.  I'm not a scrapbooker and not sure where to start.  I have pressed the flower and want to preserve it - any suggestions?

In no way am I trying to trivialize the loss my family has suffered - I want to honor my grandmother's memory and the wonderful person she was.  I'm lucky to have had her around for so long (she was 90).  My family all called her "Mo'Mo"" - short for mother's mother.

Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated!  I have 2 sisters, a mother and an aunt that would appreciate the suggestions as well.

Thank you in advance!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local animal shelters and be a responsible pet owner by spaying or neutering your pet.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is waaaay more than being tired - imagine having the flu every day, quadruple that, and that's me on a good day!  No, I did not stay up too late last night either.....
lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006 08:43:08 PM »

Well, my suggestion would be to buy a frame you reall like and that is a decent size, buy an acid and lignin free piece of carddstock and a few colors for mats to fit inside and then layer everything inside. Like use a black piece for the background, and mount the rest of the suff on vellum, white paper, silver paper or whatever color you wanted. Then just arrange all the things or mementos in a way that's pleasing Smiley

Okay, that was kind of obvious, but whatever. Or if you don't what to do it yourself, I'm sure you could have it professionally framed.

Hope I helped.

- Lauren
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mireneh

working like a dog?!?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006 09:12:24 PM »

That's what I was thinking, but didn't know how to go about it.  Thank you for the information and suggestions - I have to go shopping for my niece's birthday party so I'll just "have" to stop by the craft store.  Now I just have to figure out what to do with the pressed flower so it'll be preserved.  My sister mentioned something about wax paper - not so sure about that.

Anyway, obvious or not, it wasn't to me (lol)!  Thanks a bunch and I'll hopefully be able to post a pic once I figure out what I'm going to do.

Anyone else with suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local animal shelters and be a responsible pet owner by spaying or neutering your pet.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is waaaay more than being tired - imagine having the flu every day, quadruple that, and that's me on a good day!  No, I did not stay up too late last night either.....
Shannon
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006 05:54:27 PM »

My great grandmother passed away a few months ago, and I made a dvd slideshow of photos which they played at the service.

I'm a digital scrapper, so my suggestions may not be exactly what you want, but particularly if you have any experience in graphics already, it's a great option. That's alot of things you have to work with. Perhaps you could make a whole small book? if you try the digital route, you can always go hybrid and leave spaces on your printed pages for your physical things to be glued in. You could even make mini books for everyone.

For example, here is a page that I made for my great grandmother in memorial. I had this one framed for my grandmother, her daughter.

here are some great websites for digi-scrapping including tutorials and free downloads
http://www.digitalscrapbookplace.com/
http://www.scrapbook-bytes.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mireneh

working like a dog?!?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006 07:27:47 PM »

Thanks for the information, I'm still debating on what to do and haven't yet made it to the craft store.  I'll be checking out the links you posted as well.

Thanks a bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006 01:05:54 PM »

you could also try a memory box--like photo frames but with depth for holding/displaying various items. then you could arrange all the items in there almost like a scrapbook page but it wouldn't be confined to an album (plus easily hold the flower). i don't think it would trivialize at all...i have a framed letter my grandma wrote to me talking about xmas memories in my bedroom. like the other poster said, just make sure you have acid free materials in the box.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Risotto
@Home This Weekend: Quick Wall Art
Tute Tuesday: Heirloom Cowgirl Pillow

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...