A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News: Kindness Craft Challenge   Vote for your favorite entry by Sunday, October 15!
Total Members: 314,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
349 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Would you buy from Australia?  (Read 1238 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

blisspix
« on: June 26, 2004 11:39:24 PM »

Hi, I'm brand new to this site and it's amazing, so many ideas! I'm exploding with possibilities.

Anyway, my question is - if you live in the US, Canada, etc, would you buy products from an online shop located in Australia?

I would like to start a company selling original patterns for retro dresses, shirts, accessories etc, but I'm wondering if the time and cost that items would take to ship would be a disincentive at all to foreign purchasers?

At the moment I'm busily researching small business stuff - tax, licenses, accounting etc, with a view to setting up shop within the next year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamasmurf
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004 01:20:04 AM »

Not really an answer to your question but you might like to check out
http://www.homebasedbusiness.sbdc.com.au/ . Although aimed at West. Aussies, it has heaps of relevent info and links to registering business names, GST ect ect.
If you are under 25 this might be of some help to you
http://www.youngbusinessnetwork.sbdc.com.au/index.asp .

I found that I've sold a few items to Americans via ebay.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pipstar
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004 11:19:36 PM »

Blisspix to be honest I think that postage costs and time would probably be a bit of a disincentive to someone who is buying from the US/Canada but if you were offering something unique enough you may find that your target market doesn't really mind!

I would imagine that you also need to consider whether your buyers are going to have to pay import tax on the stuff they buy from you... which may make it more expensive/more hassle than just buying domestically.

Hope this helps!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
manus
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004 08:35:14 AM »

Definitely. My husband and I actually bought our wedding rings through an online shop from Australia - we bought titanium rings... (aircraft grade!) They are very strong, and simple and beautiful. We found the site online through a google search (titanium rings), and found this one company that had lots and lots of unique rings. We got our fingers sized here in Canada, and emailed them the measurements, and did the deposit through the credit card. We got the rings back 4 weeks later, but mine was the wrong size! They had made the correct size I sent them, but the ring store here measured my finger incorrectly, and so I got it redone at another store, resent my measurement, and got a new ring back from Australia in just over a couple of weeks! They paid the extra shipping, and ate the cost of the original ring, even though it wasn't their fault.

What I'm saying, is that I would definitely buy from a land far far away  Wink especially if the product is unique, and the service is great.

You may want to include the price of shipping into your products, instead of adding shipping at the end, and it won't seem so bad. For example, seeing a beautiful ring for $200, or seeing a beautiful ring for $150, and then having to add on $50 at the end for shipping - I think psychologically the first option is easier for people to swallow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

By hand!
http://www.manusmade.com

Also: crafty and other ramblings
http://thisistania.blogspot.com/
Toast.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004 04:18:07 PM »

Hello!
I just thought I'd add that all of my customers so far have been from the States and I'm in little old New Zealand!
Perhaps it's because my prices are reasonable, even once you include shipping, or because I aso list in inches/US dollars? I'm not really sure. But I've sold a lot of stuff, and all to lovely Americans : )
Just thought I'd add a little bit of hope for you from someone who is actually doing it!
x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blisspix
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004 08:12:00 PM »

Thanks for the advice, everybody!!

manus - including the shipping price in the cost of the product sounds like a good idea.

Toast - listing in US dollars sounds good too!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004 02:31:16 AM »

The shipping can be a real turnoff, at least to me.  I generally won't even look at things listed in AU$ or GBP anymore, so I would have to be assured right from the beginning that the shipping charges aren't going to be prohibitively expensive.  The long wait can also be frustrating (you know us Americans and instant gratification), but that's not as big a deal, if it's something that I wouldn't be able to get faster and cheaper in the states, which is basically what it all comes down to.  I like your idea of retro patterns, though.  I haven't really seen any around here that I have liked, so if they were really cool I would probably be willing to buy one.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiekat82

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004 07:58:40 AM »

Ordinarily, I would say "No", because it is a pain in the butt. However, if you were selling good quality retro patterns with good designs, etc. I would definitely buy. Shipping from Australia usually isn't too expensive because of the exchange rate to us (US ~_^). However, there is no way I would buy it if I had to use AU$-- I would only pay in US$ (by Paypal probably), and I think this goes for most Americans. We think we are god, and you must use our language and money. hahaha.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolly Parton is my spiritual leader, and Clint Eastwood is my sewing buddy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
October 18, 2017 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Mix and Match Napkins
Tute Tuesday: Mini Top Hat

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...