A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
185 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting with Change  (Read 20891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
moonunit426
Democrafter

Dear Duct Tape, You hold my life together. <3 M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2005 08:46:31 PM »

Here is a tip for cleaning pennies--it works SO WELL

Put a little salt on the penny, and then add vinegar with an eyedropper or spoon. Rub the salt around, and the penny will be really bright and clean! You have to then rinse it and dry really well.

I did this all the time when I was little because it was so fun to clean pennies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trustbaxter

sex and confusion, sabotage and hardcore

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2005 05:59:00 AM »

how does one get arrested for making and/or wearing defaced coins? do cops look out for that sort of thing at craft fairs and flea markets?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RachOfTheJungle
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2005 08:41:43 AM »

If you read the laws, it's not illegal.

I posted a link to the US mint's website a while back, if you care to dig for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rockin' knitting shirts I designed:

http://www.cafepress.com/stitchnsnitch
Navagogo
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2005 07:36:44 AM »

This totally reminded me of this experiment we did in my 8th grade science class.  We turned our pennies into "gold".  I can't remember the whole process, but it was pretty cool.  First the pennies would turn silver (but it rubbed off if you kept them that way) then you held them over a flame and they'd turn gold.  You can only do it with pennies from I think before the 80s... maybe the 70s.  I'll google it and see if I can find the instructions.  That would look pretty cool... a bracelet made from that...  I found it.

ACTIVITY 1: ALCHEMY LAB: THE GOLDEN DREAM

Alchemists in the Middle Ages believed they could turn ordinary metals into gold. In this lab, you become a 20th-century alchemist and turn pennies into shiny "silver" and "gold".

Note: We suggest that this lab be performed as a teacher demo or as a supervised chemistry experiment in the lab.

OBJECTIVE

Show students how an alloy is made.

MATERIALS
20 mL of 6 M NaOH

0.1 g zinc dust
evaporating dish
hot plate
tongs
200 mL beaker of water
penny
Bunsen burner
Note: NaOH should be handled with great care. It is corrosive and can burn skin. Zinc dust should not be inhaled. Safety goggles should be worn the entire time. This lab should be performed under a hood.

PROCEDURE

Place zinc dust in evaporating dish.

Add 20 mL of NaOH solution to the dish, on top of the zinc.

Set hot plate to medium heat and place the evaporating dish on top.

Heat for 5 minutes. Do not boil. When dish is hot, place a penny in it. Heat for two minutes or until the penny is coated and becomes silver in appearance.

Remove the penny from the dish with tongs and drop into water. When cool, wipe the penny clean with a cloth to remove excess zinc.

Using tongs, hold the penny in the flame of a Bunsen burner and gently heat. The penny should turn "gold" (brass). (Do not overheat the penny.)

Dip the penny in the beaker of water and cool to touch.

WHAT HAPPENED?

In Step 4, the penny was coated with zinc atoms. In Step 6, when the penny was heated, the copper atoms of the penny and the zinc atoms coating the penny mixed and turned gold in color, but actually formed the alloy brass.

DISPOSAL OF CHEMICALS:

Pour off NaOH into a 250 mL beaker of water to dilute and pour the mixture down the sink. Wipe zinc residue and evaporating dish with a paper towel and dispose.

Yay for silly classroom experiments.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005 07:44:46 AM by Navagogo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
VoodooToaster
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2005 09:32:08 AM »

"Put a little salt on the penny, and then add vinegar with an eyedropper or spoon. Rub the salt around, and the penny will be really bright and clean! You have to then rinse it and dry really well."

This didn't work for us at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2005 07:44:23 PM »

i havent read this entire thread so, i'm sorry if somebody has already posted this, but you can also clean pennies by dropping tobasco sauce on them.  any old kind will do--doesn't have to be the brand tobasco.  i do this all the time in cincinnati waiting for my food at skyline (restaurant).  they leave hot sauce on the table and i clean all of my pennies. it's like magic-i swear.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
ChelliChan

I think I am, therefore I am. I think...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2005 04:41:04 AM »

My mother travels alot all over the world and she bring home coins from wherever she goes...I have a bunch from israel, china, spain, the new euro, canada... one day i might try to make a bracelet out of those... ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunx
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2005 05:59:14 PM »

that's so cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live. Laugh. Love.
echoglow
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2005 07:30:22 PM »

i had always been told that you just couldnt deface money in an "effort to make them more valuable than they are."

but either way, these things are awesome Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PpCakes
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2005 08:47:24 PM »

thats a good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my blog, its full of crafty awesome things, and life!

xo
http://ckscribbles.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...