A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
213 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Starsky Knit-A-Long?  (Read 28528 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
scarletkittycat
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2006 04:48:10 PM »

How's everyone's Starsky's comming along? I thought this thread could use a bump.

I am now finished with the back panel and the left front panel, and am now working on the right front panel. There are a few pics in some posts on my blog if you want to see http://anjaknits.blogspot.com .

yours is looking great, unfortunately mine has come to a dead stop at the mo, its basically finished but i hate the sleeves so i think they'll have to come off and theres something wrong with the collar, oh well hopefully soon I'll be motivated enough to pick it up again,it makes me sad at the moment Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
designdiva18
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2006 10:12:05 PM »

A couple of peopple have complained about shaping the collar. I just finished the short rows and I am wondering what the shaping problem is exactly and what people are doing to fix it. Does it need to be wider, or narrower? I put a braid in instead of the banana leaf and I only have half the collar and half of one sleeve to go. I am scared to finish the collar if there have been problems with it. It is my first complete sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scarletkittycat
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2006 09:19:39 AM »

A couple of peopple have complained about shaping the collar. I just finished the short rows and I am wondering what the shaping problem is exactly and what people are doing to fix it. Does it need to be wider, or narrower? I put a braid in instead of the banana leaf and I only have half the collar and half of one sleeve to go. I am scared to finish the collar if there have been problems with it. It is my first complete sweater.

In the case of mine the collar really needs to be wider, eventhough its knit exactly to the size the pattern calls for when i put it on the collar just doesn't have the nice drape of the one in the pattern, its really just not long enough to fold atall, of course this might just be because I'm not using the recommended yarn.Its very annoying though
THIS ROCKS   Logged
designdiva18
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2006 10:25:46 PM »

I knitted 4 and a half inches of collar and it still looks terrible. I took off my bind off... does any one have suggestions? should I just keep knitting the collar? I looks like it should be closer to 8 inches, but that would make the front edges looks wierd. The front edges are also pullinng really badly, the whole front curls up. The body turned out beautifully... I was all ready to wear it tomorrow and now the front is hideous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scarletkittycat
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2006 09:38:44 AM »

I knitted 4 and a half inches of collar and it still looks terrible. I took off my bind off... does any one have suggestions? should I just keep knitting the collar? I looks like it should be closer to 8 inches, but that would make the front edges looks wierd. The front edges are also pullinng really badly, the whole front curls up. The body turned out beautifully... I was all ready to wear it tomorrow and now the front is hideous!

Thats almost exactly the same problem i'm having, i'm going to take the collar off and try again, i'm thinking that maybe i didn't pick up enough stitches along the edges and thats why its pulling but i'm really not too sure. The body is really really nice but this stupid collar sucks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
designdiva18
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2006 06:57:06 PM »

I just gave up because I want to sinish the damn thing and wear it tommorrow before we go out on spring break and I can't show it off to my coworkers! I knit a ribbing in the front on both sides and I am going to pick up around the neck and knit a wide squarish collar. I don't know how it will come out, but I liked the idea on paper. So we will see. My Starsky really doesn't look that much like a starsky anymore. I changed the cable pattern and now I've radically altered the front. ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jordanapaige
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2006 01:18:09 PM »

The length of the collar you see in the photo is 6 inches at the center back. At the center front it is 3.5 inches (size small). No matter type of altering you do, you'll want to keep the center front at 3.5 inches so that everything lines up correctly. But, if you want a larger collar, or simply need to fix it because you have a different gauge here's what you would do:

Note: I'll be using the size Small for this explanation.

Figure out what you want the length at the center back to be. We'll say 8 inches. This is 2 inches more than the pattern. Assuming you do have the same gauge as the pattern of 4.5 ROWS=1 inch (if not, insert yours here), then you're going to need an additional 10 rows (2x4.5=9; but we need an even number, so 10).

Work through this part on the collar:
Next Row [WS]: P3, [k3, p3] to end.
This row sets 3x3 Rib for the collar. Work in 3x3 Rib as set throughout the rest of the Collar.

Now where it says: Begin short rows:
Instead of turning after 8 sts past marker you would be turning after 4 sts past the marker. Then 4, 8, 8, 12, 12, 16, 16, etc...40.

In this instance you're basically doubling the short row portion of the collar. So, you would be W&T twice as much. For numbers that don't work out as nicely, you just need to calculate the number of stitches you have and how often you need to turn, adding rows to acheive the desired length.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jazzmatazz
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2006 04:01:50 PM »

Even though I didn't post about the collar (because I'm not there yet!), thanks Jordana for the extra information.  It's exciting to get advice from a pattern's designer, especially this one.  I predict it will be a favorite Knitty pattern.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006 04:05:49 PM by jazzmatazz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jax3303
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2006 09:09:01 AM »

I'm finally feeling a sense of accomplishment with my Starsky! I now have the back and both front panels finished, they're blocking right now, and yesterday I was finally able to cast on for a sleeve. I'm a little over 1/3 done knitting the first sleeve. All I have left is to knit the sleeves, knit the collar then the belt and belt loops.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scarletkittycat
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2006 09:14:58 AM »

I'm finally feeling a sense of accomplishment with my Starsky! I now have the back and both front panels finished, they're blocking right now, and yesterday I was finally able to cast on for a sleeve. I'm a little over 1/3 done knitting the first sleeve. All I have left is to knit the sleeves, knit the collar then the belt and belt loops.  Grin

Congratulations, please please please post a pic when you finish, seeing a lovely finished Starsky might just give me the motivation to get back to mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...