A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 314,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
229 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Floating fower centerpiece  (Read 3831 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

pickleparty
« on: February 25, 2006 05:44:12 PM »

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of doing centerpieces like this for my wedding:

I'll probably do a combination of floating flowers (pink lilies and white roses if I can) and floating candles.  I have no idea what to use for the container, though.  I'm not too picky about the color, it doesn't have to be clear, I just want the right shape.  Any ideas??

Thanks!!!

Mandy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006 05:57:07 PM »

I couldn't find anything online. That doesn't mean that they don't exist. Where did you find the photo? Did it have a listing for supplies? Are you hellbent on that exact shape, or could you acheive a similar look with smaller shallow glass dishes [say small squares]? Where have you already looked? Have you consulted anyone, like a florist, about what the glass shape is called?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
pickleparty
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006 06:28:43 PM »

I found the picture on weddingchannel.com.  Here's thew link:

http://wedding.weddingchannel.com/contentsets/flowershow.asp?vhl_uid=10422&prev_item=400016364

Unfortunately, it doesn't give a vendor name or anything.  The dishes don't need to be that exact shape either, square dishes would work fine.  I was originally thinking of those glass Pyrex baking dishes, but those can be pretty expensive. 

And I haven't talked to a florist yet.  But that's a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilwench
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006 06:56:51 PM »

are you opposed to making your own? cause it seems it would be pretty simple to use plexiglass sheets glued together with aquarium ceilant... and if you get the plexiglass from a hardware store, they might be able to cut them to size for you.

anywho, good luck, it looks like a really great idea  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In my dreams I can fly
evilwench
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006 07:27:52 PM »

this got me curious, so I went web-searching... if you do decide to make your own, I found a great site with some good instructions on working with plexiglass.http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_acrylic.php It's geared towards making aquarium type items, but the ideas would translate fairly easily Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In my dreams I can fly
loverlybay
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006 11:01:25 PM »

I'm afraid I don't have much to add, but I thought I'd let you know that lillies do not work well as floating centerpeices- they just don't lie flat.  Alstromeria would work okay, and they have kind of a lily look, You can also buy single blooms of orchids, which would look really pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006 11:07:41 PM »

To ensure whatever you want will float nicely, you could probably buy some fake flowers or just one or two of each flower you're interested in and test-float them. Then if you find that they don't look the way you want them too, you can use something else, without having shelled out a ton of money. You might also think about floating silks as well, to save time [they could be prepared way ahead of time instead of at the close to last minute you'd have to use for real flowers. If that was the case, I'd probably test-float for as long as you expect they'll be expected to look pretty to make sure they don't waterlog and sink. I don't know how long you've got until the wedding but another plus of using silks would be that you could buy them on sale and just horde them until needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
pickleparty
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006 11:37:34 PM »

I'm afraid I don't have much to add, but I thought I'd let you know that lilies do not work well as floating centerpieces- they just don't lie flat.  Alstromeria would work okay, and they have kind of a lily look, You can also buy single blooms of orchids, which would look really pretty.

Alstroemeria will work perfectly, since they are in my bouquet too!  (There's pink asiatic lilies, pink alstro, white roses, and pink waxflower.)

Thanks to everyone for the awesome ideas!!  I think I might have to try the Plexiglas thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006 05:18:42 AM »

I think this looks gorgeous pickleparty. Have a look around 'The Container Store'. Look under 'kitchen' to start with & see what you think. I'm not sure what your budget is like, but this stuff looks pretty resonable. Congrats & good luck! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006 10:58:24 AM »

Plexiglass and silicone sealant should work just fine! 
You might want to look at a restaurant supply store too, sometimes they have unexpectedly perfect items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Cool Pupcicles for Hot Dogs
Tute Tuesday: Flower Crown
Tiny House

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...