A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and encouraged! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 315,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
229 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doily from Vintage Pattern  (Read 6546 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2004 06:11:22 PM »

http://home.comcast.net/~bethanyjames/blue_doily.JPG

I'm super proud of this doily, so I just had to show it off.  It's made with size 20 Cebelia from DMC.  The pattern is from a vintage booklet that was my great grandmother's.  Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything at all ironic about it.  But maybe that only goes for tea cozies?   Wink

Oh yeah, in real life, it's about 9-10 inches across.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011 03:54:40 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
JennieL
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004 06:49:29 PM »

(mouth agape)
That is truly fantastic...your work is inspiring.  I've just started thread crochet and am trying to get my hands used to it (major cramping issues right now).  I love doilies but am conflicted over whether they are hip or not, and whether I care!  Great job! How neat that you're connected to your great-grandmother through this project...what would she think of craftster?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeppyCat

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004 05:26:43 PM »

Thanks so much!  I like doilies because they look like more work than they actually are. Grin  I have problems with cramping too sometimes.  I wear these wrist brace things that I got at Rite-Aid when I crochet sometimes to help that out.  They're a little stiff so some mobility is lost, but that's better than achey, jumpy muscles or cramps, I guess.

I'm pretty sure that doilies are not hip, but I do know that making something you really like and not caring about others' ideas of hipness is very very hip, so there you go.  Super hip doily!

I'm not really sure what my great grandma would think of crafster.  I know she'd like the idea of everyone sharing crafts and ideas, because she had some crocheting and tatting friends in her neighborhood that she used to share patterns and such with.  As for the rest of it, I think she wouldn't want to learn to use the computer.  I don't think she ever used one before she died in 1990.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this particular pattern isn't copyrighted anymore, it's really old.  So if you'd like to take a crack at this one, I could post it probably.  I just love the pinwheel thing.  It appeals to me so much more than pineapples.  But pineapple stuff is so darn popular!   Tongue

Thanks again for the lovely compliments!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
JennieL
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004 03:32:44 PM »

Yes please post the pattern if you find time!  Although I cannot find size 20 thread ANYWHERE in other than white/off-white.  Where do you purchase yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004 06:11:41 PM »

Beautiful!!!  and your great grandma would be soooooooo proud of YOU!!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dahlea
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004 06:19:13 PM »

I love that! The only thing I've attempted with crochet thread is a bag and it's impossible (even with a few threads held together) That is beautiful, I love the color, and it looks totally professional! And hip? What is hip? Something that you or other people think is cool right? And it looks like I'm not alone in thinking that's super awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacybee
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004 02:11:26 PM »

I'm in awe!  I bought some thread and some tiny hooks, but I just don't have the patience yet.  Which is funny, because the whole reason I started crocheting was so I could make pretty doilies for my mom and aunts and stuff! 

Anyway.  Wow!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeppyCat

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004 03:11:49 PM »

Thanks guys, you're all so sweet!

Here's the pattern I used.  It was published in 1953, and I couldn't find it in the copyright registry, so I'm pretty sure it's in the public domain.

I got my thread at a needlework store that carries that sort of specialized thing here in Grand Rapids, but if you can't find anything like that near you, you could order online.  Here it is at Herrschner's: http://www.herrschners.com/products/sku-700169__id-567.html  That's how much I paid for it in the store too, but the doily didn't really use all that much of it.  I'd say there's enough for two or three of them.  But I'm not the best estimator of things like that, so don't hold me to it.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coolbeans

This hot chocolate is so frothy.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004 08:39:08 PM »

WOW!! That looks great.  I like doilies but my mom is a doily freak.  I should make her this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004 05:09:31 AM »

good for you for keeping tradition alive.  i've made my boyfriend five doilies for his dormroom and one for his grandmother.  they're so beautiful, not to mention cheap.  rock on vintage lacemakers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WAW
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004 11:47:02 AM »

Hi, I'm new to this cite, but have done lots and lots of thread crochet, and your doily is very, very pretty.  You did a great job on it.....keep up the good work.  And to you newbies at thread crochet.....keep practicing.....it's really worth the time, since the results are beautiful. 

My newest project is making a whole bunch of 12 - 14 inch doilies, which I'm going to applique to plain fabric, and then make into a quilt....it's going to be georgeous!!! Smiley  (at least I hope it will!  lol)

Anyway, keep up the good work.

WAW
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angipants
B-L-O-N-Duh!

Angi-pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004 09:16:14 AM »

I made this really cute lacy beanie hat for myself, and to my dissapointment Angry , everyone called it a doily hat.  But then inspration struck Shocked , doilies have really cool patterns!  So now I look for interesting doily patterns, and convert them into hats Grin!

This one would be perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: St. Patrick's Day Wreath
March 13, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Wrap Front Top

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...