A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 315,370
Currently Running With Scissors:
229 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to make my own top...please help!!!  (Read 858 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

jensven1017
« on: February 19, 2006 11:35:41 AM »

I've asked this a while back and didn't get any help so I"m going to ask again. I want to make my own version of the jiffy tube top but I don't know how many stitches to cast on. I did a test swatch and it says there are 5 stitches per inch. My bust is 34 inches so it should just be 5 x's 34 right? Well 170 just seems like a lot. I don't want to make a whole tube top and then have it turn out to be too big or too small. I would love any help with finding out how many stitches to cast on. I'm going to do some ribbing on the bottom and then it's just all going to be st st and then some more ribbing at the top, no cables. Thanks for any help!
Jennifer

by the way, I'm using just plain red heart classic yarn and and size 6 29'' circular needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why is it that I can no longer buy anything that has a slight chance I could make it myself? Even if I don't know how to make it, or it's cheaper to buy...I can no longer buy it because "I could make that myself".
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006 12:28:32 PM »

170 seems about right to me. Why dont you do the stitches and then wrap it around you to sort of measure? Thats what I do. If I just go by what the math says, it might be wrong. When I make a garment for myself, I fit it to make sure its right (it may be a good idea to make a duct tape dummy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
socknitter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006 05:33:51 PM »

If you don't make it snug, it'll fall right off.  I think a better way is to work single crochet ribbing vertically.  You do this by chaining an amount for the length - not width - of your tube top.  So from your arm pits to the edge of your ribcage, say.  Now sc across.  Turn. Now you will sc in the back loop only for every row (This makes a ribbing) until the piece is long enough to wrap around your 34" bust.  (Make it snug!) Now sew the last row to the chain row.  That's the best crocheted ribbing, and it'll keep it's shape and stay up better.  It'll go super quickly, too. 

Best of luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Banana Pie
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006 03:51:23 PM »

I think maybe this is a knitting question?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006 06:04:58 PM »

If she wants to knit the top it's a knitting question but if she wants to crochet it then she is in the right place. I can seeher making a top out of crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
Banana Pie
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006 07:43:44 PM »

I have a hunch it's a knitting question because of:

I've asked this a while back and didn't get any help so I"m going to ask again. I want to make my own version of the jiffy tube top but I don't know how many stitches to cast on. I did a test swatch and it says there are 5 stitches per inch. My bust is 34 inches so it should just be 5 x's 34 right? Well 170 just seems like a lot. I don't want to make a whole tube top and then have it turn out to be too big or too small. I would love any help with finding out how many stitches to cast on. I'm going to do some ribbing on the bottom and then it's just all going to be st st and then some more ribbing at the top, no cables. Thanks for any help!
Jennifer

by the way, I'm using just plain red heart classic yarn and and size 6 29'' circular needles.

Perhaps that's why she hasn't gotten any help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...