A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
231 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrapbooking on a budget  (Read 10806 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
tamedvixen
Not all who wander are lost.

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2006 07:17:41 PM »

Many of the cute paper, tools, and stickers so popular to use in scrapbooking can easily become very pricy. Any suggestions on materials to use when scrapbooking on a budget?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006 07:21:01 PM »

Headlines and photos from magazines are free. Also there are sites with free downloads. Just Google free scapbooking tempets, you should find some stuff. d Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
purplepooh

Ha cha cha cha chaaaaa! Delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006 09:18:10 PM »

Use the Michaels and Joanns coupons as much as you can!  Also don't forget about smaller stores that may have sessions where you can use their tools for free or buy individual stickers and pieces.  Those big stacks of papers seem like a good bargain but if you don't use all of them it's a waste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aromano101
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006 11:14:35 AM »

The big box stores (Wal Mart and Target) are good at finding stuff cheap too, "Clearance" anyone? Like today I picked up some Christmas tree brads and some Chirstmas paper for $3 total.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Alicia
taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006 11:21:27 AM »

There's a scrapbooking store called Archivers - they also have a web site and mailing list - that offers "Scrapbooking Nights' where you bring what you need to work on and can use their tools, copy machine, and other things for free.  I've never been to one of these sessions, but I believe you get a discount on supplies then, too.  Some dollar stores have started carrying papers and embelishments as well. 

I've actually used wrapping paper before.  If you need something specific (like characters) check out The Card Factory. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
aromano101
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006 11:45:46 AM »

There's a scrapbooking store called Archivers - they also have a web site and mailing list - that offers "Scrapbooking Nights' where you bring what you need to work on and can use their tools, copy machine, and other things for free.  I've never been to one of these sessions, but I believe you get a discount on supplies then, too.  

The only way you get the discount is if you a member of thier club. Awesome store.... awesome stuff, and I miss mine terribly!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Alicia
taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006 02:25:11 PM »

There's a scrapbooking store called Archivers - they also have a web site and mailing list - that offers "Scrapbooking Nights' where you bring what you need to work on and can use their tools, copy machine, and other things for free.  I've never been to one of these sessions, but I believe you get a discount on supplies then, too.  

The only way you get the discount is if you a member of thier club. Awesome store.... awesome stuff, and I miss mine terribly!!

Thanks for the heads up.  I don't really do scrapbooking, but altered, journals, and wallets made from that paper.  I'm always tempted to see if I could take that stuff there for a 'night session'.  I forgot to mention...if you keep an eye out for Michaels, Joanns, and Hobby Lobby...they usually have sales on the paper.  Like the 59 cent ones are .29, or 5 for a buck. 

Also, check out the Craftster classifieds trading section for paper goods - https://www.craftster.org/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=23 -
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006 05:21:40 PM by taped_on_wings » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
Aphadon
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006 07:10:45 PM »

Someone mentioned the dollar store, and yes, ALWAYS check there! You'd be surprised what you can dig up. I work at one, and a chunk of our craft section is scrapbooking stuff, and it's pretty nice. As well, you can get good stickers and other random craft stuff cheap that could be used along with "traditional" supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k8iecritter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006 07:57:22 AM »

I recently put together a scrapbook of my years at law school - and since I was doing this before I started working, it was definitely on a budget.  I bought the basics - the book, a bit of paper, scrapbooking glue - but didn't spend on any of the frills.  Instead, I kept all of my graduation cards, and the programs and things from the graduation.  I also dug up law school related stuff - like old student newspapers, the journal I was a member of, stuff from student orgs I was involved in.  I used that stuff as page decorations.  Below are two pages that I particularly liked.  They include stuff from cards and graduation brochures, and even my tassle.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010 04:17:15 PM by Phizzychick - Reason: fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006 08:18:54 AM »

I'm not sure where you live but last summer I pressed some flowers and leaves for my cousin. Also, my grandma lives on a beach that has the tiniest little shells, like smaller than peas. It's a mostly but not completely sandy beach. You have to get down and sift through the sand up a bit where the water doesn't get that high very often.

Think outside the box. Textures can make a huge difference. If an article of clothing has out lived its usefulness, think if it can be used for scrapbooking. Example, something denim, cut a square, fray the edges and place behind a photo. Great for when scrapbooking things with guys in them...guys aren't big on frillies....

Don' throw anything away with out thinking if you can do something with it first. Scraps of ribbon, fabric, small buttons, greeting cards....

Oh, another idea... Paint. Gives a different feel than ink. Example, if you have little ones, using light yellow paint, paint their feet and have them walk across the page. Or use a rag, hold it messy, so there's lots of creases. Dip it in paint and stamp it lightly on your page.

That's it for ideas for me for now. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...