A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and encouraged! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 314,008
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Roy Lichtenstein chair/art  (Read 1817 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

tinafish
« on: June 23, 2004 10:40:44 AM »

I couldn't figure out where to post this project. Since the charity part of it was most important, I thought I'd post it here. It ended up being more of a piece of art than a piece of furniture..so here goes.  Cheesy

This was called the CHAIRity Event. Thirteen chairs were donated for a silent auction from Interior Design students at ASU. This project was to raise money for the Family Advocacy Center for victims of domestic violence. There were many requirements for the chairs, including a limit in size.. we were also encouraged to collect donated materials to create the chair. The chairs each revolved around an artist of choice and had to relate to the Advocacy Center in some way.

We chose Roy Lictenstein for our chair and named it "Episodes". Each panel starting from the back and moving towards the front shows a person overcoming their fears and their encounters with domestic violence. The back of the chair is to represent the past that they have put behind them and the front where the yellow seat sits is where they are today...stronger, happier, and healther.

The chair has comics from Lichtenstein's work handpainted on. We constructed the chair of MDF and ended up costing us $35...all we paid for was the MDF. We ended up raising the most money for our chair...totalling to about $400!! yay! It feels so great to do what you love by creating...and helping all at the same time!

Hope you like it.   Smiley

http://img72.photobucket.com/albums/v220/tinafish/CHAIRity%20event/finalchair.jpg

http://img72.photobucket.com/albums/v220/tinafish/CHAIRity%20event/melysit.jpg

http://img72.photobucket.com/albums/v220/tinafish/CHAIRity%20event/lichdots.jpg
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011 07:39:43 AM by kittykill - Reason: Show images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing stars
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004 11:04:30 AM »

You guys did an amazing job! It looks so awesome!

Glad to hear you were able to raise so much money with it. At the place I work (a college) they do sale once a year to raise money for a scholarship for a needy student in the Cereamics department by having a 'Bowl-O-Rama'. Students donate their handmade bowls and sell to the public. For fun they offer to fill the bowls with ice cream after a purchase.

The CHAIRity idea is awesome, perhaps I'll suggest that to the Furniture department...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
bkennedy32
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004 11:06:51 AM »

yes looks nice good job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004 01:14:00 PM »

That's a beautiful chair! I'm happy to hear you raised so much for such a worthy cause. I'm sure the buyer of the chair loves it.
By the way, that "Bowl-O-Rama" idea sounds great, too. I took a cermaics class where we made bowls and then ate ice cream out of them... but sadly we didn't raise any money... we just ate ice cream. Maybe I'll suggest it to the instructor...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinafish
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004 01:40:19 PM »

thank you! i'm hoping to find more about it and be involved in someway each year..that would be really fun.

the bowl idea is great! i actually saw people on campus a while back, selling their ceramic bowls and other great things..unfortunately i was a poor student at the time. now all i do is try and find local artist to buy those types of things from.  Smiley or in some cases..i go here..for inspiration and make it myself!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: No-Kill Cactus
Tute Tuesday: Wrap Skirt
Meatless Monday: Naan Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...