A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
259 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Men's Ties / Neckties  (Read 144892 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
klippedwingz

Are you a Llama, I asked my friend, Dave?

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2004 08:47:27 AM »

Ok first I have to confess I Love ties! I always have and now i have two girls that love them also.  We're always doing something fun with them and collecting them. If you read Dear Abby you may have seen the different uses people have been sending in for old ties...the standards like belts, purses, skirts, etc. but yesterday i saw the funnest one. Make a christmas tree skirt !!! I'm thinking how fun would that be made out of christmas ties Huh We have a huge collection including comic strip charachters, tree lights, snowmen, some really cool ties! (can you tell I'm excited lol)

Some other ideas were  aprons, church altar cloths to use on father's day , rugs, tablerunners, bears, wall hanging, quilted wreath and this sounded very cool...a prom dress! lol Some very nifty ideas. Time for a tie hunt Smiley Make sure you post pics if you try anything new with ties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Iloners

So...you into plastic babies?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004 09:10:31 PM »

this is a fun thing to do with old ties...take a one-shouldered tank top (or just cut an old shirt into one) and make the other shoulder out of a tie. you can have it so the tie is just a strap, or you can extend it down the length of the shirt. unfortunaltely i cant post a picture to show exactly what i mean, but its really easy to do and it looks cute. especially if you have a solid colored shirt and a tie with a crazy print
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004 09:50:09 AM »

I found an oodle of old ties today, so I really need ideas! I think I'll sew them up and make a bag...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
girlnamedema
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004 02:14:41 PM »

i made the tie choker thing that somebody posted and it turned out wonderfully! but what should i do with the rest of the tie?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004 01:12:16 PM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

the hottest ugly chick in the world.
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004 02:19:39 PM »

Make a bracelet, just scale down the chocker.
Use pieces for a crazy quit, make hair ties, cover buttons, cut in strips & weave or braid into coasters, rugs, or place mats.
make sachets....
decoupage onto a box in t a crazy quilt design
can't think of anything else right now ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
piecefulartist
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004 06:48:14 PM »

i had a brainstorm today while i was sewing some messenger bags...use an old necktie as the strap of the bag. neckties are soft and flat, so they make good straps to go over your shoulder.  most of them are the right length for a messenger bag or other kinds of over-the-shoulder purse. and they add alot of interesting design and color to the bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honorhappy
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004 08:05:15 PM »

speaking of ties, I recently got one at my local thrift store for a quarter and use it as a barrette, pin, and pendant holder.  I just tied it as a tie, pinned the barrettes and pins on, and used safety pins to attach the pendants.  I then put it over my closet door and voila!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darumah
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004 05:15:34 AM »

I bought a bunch of cool old ties at a thrift store to make tie cuffs. I could make 2 cuffs with each tie, one from each end. Unfortunately, four of the ties I bought were 70's style with the really wide ends and I couldn't make cuffs with those ends so instead I made little change purses and glasses cases. I think that I am going to save all of the tie centers and make a quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twisted_angel
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004 02:27:33 PM »

you should try tying 'em around your waist for a belt
THIS ROCKS   Logged
klippedwingz

Are you a Llama, I asked my friend, Dave?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004 02:40:33 PM »

Yes, using ties for straps/purse handles are great. I used a tie to simply cover a hndle that I didn't like once and that worked well cuz it had some extra support.

also using the fat end is super easy to make a small bag.   Cut it the length ya want turn inside out and sew the straight part into a botom the turn right side out and the point is the flap(closure)  Ya can add either some snaps , velcro or like a button loop thingy. cute, fast and fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...