A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
169 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Truffles.... not the kind that piggies like  (Read 1272 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , truffle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
mondoferal
« on: February 11, 2006 09:46:59 PM »

I have recently found myself on a chocolate truffle making kick. Maybe it's Valentine's Day. Or maybe I'm a glutton. Either way. I have been devising truffle recipes and thought others who share my interest might want to share their recipes, as well.

I made these today to send to my mumma:

ORANGE FIGGY TRUFFLES (makes 32 truffles)

4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped finely
8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped finely
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fig preserves
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 tablespoon brandy or Grand Marnier

6 oz. bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate (or a mix), chopped
1/2 cup dutch process cocoa powder

Put the 4 oz. and 8 oz. of chopped chocolates in a medium glass bowl. Put the cream in a small saucepan and bring to a light boil. Pour the boiling cream over the chocolate. Let sit 5 minutes. While it is sitting, put the fig preserves in a food processor or blender and process for a couple of seconds, just to get rid of the chunks. Put the fig preserves in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds on high. When the five minutes is up, stir to combine the cream and chocolate (this is called ganache). Add the hot fig preserves, orange extract, and liquor. Stir to combine, until smooth. Pour mixture into a glass dish or loaf pan. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour or until it is set. After the hour is up: Ung a melon baller or a crappy old teaspoon, portion out 32 truffles, rolling them into spheres with your (washed) hands. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Return to the fridge for 30 more minutes. To coat: When 30 minutes are up, put 6 oz. chopped chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat 30 seconds, stir, heat another 30 seconds, stir until chocolate is melted. Put the cocoa powder in a pie dish or a shallow bowl. Drop the truffles in the melted chocolate to coat, then drop them in the cocoa powder. Let them sit in the cocoa for about 20 seconds and then transfer back onto a lined baking sheet You can also omit the cocoa powder stage and leave them with just a hard chocolate shell. Let them sit to harden. Keep them in the refrigerator. Mmm.

Now let's start sharing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who are smart enough to know better.   -Tom Robbins
craftcoeur
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006 08:54:07 AM »

those sound amazing. figs + chocolate = heaven
do you think the recipe could be vegan-ized for the lactose intolerant? silk cream instead of the real stuff? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McAuliflower
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006 09:07:02 PM »

those sound amazing. figs + chocolate = heaven
do you think the recipe could be vegan-ized for the lactose intolerant? silk cream instead of the real stuff? Grin

totally!  Make sure to use vegan chocolate and use any liquid you want to replace the cream. 

I've had success with using soy milk, wine, fruit juice, or port for making vegan truffles.

I like the fig chocolate combo- great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
mondoferal
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006 01:50:14 PM »

I've never attempted a vegan truffle, but try it out and let us all know. I'm thinking my next truffley adventure will involve medjool date puree (instead of fig preserves) and hua gkati (coconut cream) replacing some of the regular cream, plus some coconut extract to coconutify it some more.

Since coconut cream is vegan (it's just the stuff skimmed off the top of coconut milk), maybe you could use it to replace all of the cow-y cream. Or combine it with Silk cream.

This is making me hungry. Damn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who are smart enough to know better.   -Tom Robbins
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...