A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,260
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boston Clothing Swap-o-rama-rama!  (Read 1682 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

twirl2
« on: February 11, 2006 05:08:12 AM »

Hello! i'm new to the site, but i looove it and thought I'd see if there was interest in a project I just picked up with a coworker. We want to have one of these:

http://www.swaporamarama.org/

in Boston.

The idea is that everyone brings a bag unwanted (but desirable) of clothes to a central location and roots around and finds fabulous new clothes. I've done this with friends and it's really fun. BUT the cool part about this is that they have DIY stations set up for embellishment, iron-ons, tailoring, recon etc. In the NY one they even have a runway so you can swap, recon and model your new creation in one fell swoop!  The artists they have helping out are here: http://www.swaporamarama.org/swapworkperf.htm. It's soooo cute, they have tags so you can relabel the clothes when you make them "yours" and and and... ok, you can look at the site yourself Smiley

We're pretty committed to doing it (listed on the site and everything!)  and have decided on late May (when people are busting out their summer duds and shredding their winter one), but that's about as far as it goes. We need:

- a venue (a college? a church? a high school? I moved here post-college last year to work, so I'm sure there are a ton of good places i'm not aware of)
- sponsors (craft stores willing to donate lace and beads and whatnot - the NY one also charges ten bucks for participation, but the bigger and cooler we can make this without having to put a lot of money up front we don't have, the better. Hmm, maybe we could have people donate leftover craft supplies too...)
- artists (or at least people willing to set up a craft station and help people with their projects Smiley
- help! generally! people to help sort clothes, get the word out, do planning, help haul the usable extras to some sort of charity after...
- anything else  - extra ideas, inspirations and craftiness from you (yes, you!)

Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twigs
Twigs and Heather/ metal caster, silversmith and crafty gal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006 06:52:23 PM »

I would love to participate when you find a location.  I have soooo much clothes that I could bring.  Please keep me updated.  It is wicked good idea. (Am I from Boston or what!) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lullababy
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006 10:29:06 AM »

start posting on other online boston related communities with your specific questions (particularly regarding a location). a good place to start would be the b0st0n community on livejournal.
the zine fair is being held at mass college of art, maybe that could be an option, i don't know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrs. warhol
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006 01:23:21 PM »

that sounds wonderful! keep me posted on what you need help with/the when & where/etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twirl2
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006 09:59:43 AM »

Great, thank  you guys!

I'm putting together an email list of people who just want updates about the when/where, and a google discussion group for people who want to help plan it or put it on (everything from sorting clothes to having a craft station). PM me or email me - scnewman@gmail.com... and i'll post updates here too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robotika
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006 06:43:17 PM »

ahh lets make this happen. I would suggest a place in Jamaica Plain. Spontaneous Celebrations- community center/ art space, but lots of churches in JP seem pretty artist friendly. maybe I just love JP too much. anyway contact me if you need help in anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twirl2
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006 08:56:50 AM »

Guys, we're up and running! We have a date: June 10th, and a website: www.swaporamarama.org/bostonswap.htm. Place: the Democracy Center (45 Mt Auburn St, right off Harvard Square. It is a great - and, importantly, cheap venue). Time: 12-4 pm.

Not only that but the Garment District is sponsoring. Woot!

Here's the little announcement blurb that you should forward and post to EVERYONE and every site you know (we're trying to get the word out, but we're only two people!). We also have about a dozen volunteers, including you lovely ladies who already responded, although I have yet to fully utilize everyone. Hurrah hurrah,

Swap-o-Rama-Rama and the Garment District invite you to...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Boston Swap-o-Rama-Rama!

June 10th, 12-4 pm
     45 Mt. Auburn St
       Cambridge, MA
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.swaporamarama.org/bostonswap.htm

The Boston Summer 2006 Swap-o-Rama-Rama is a chance to clear out your closet and jewelry box and swap it all in for someone else's treasures. Bring a bag of wearable (you know, perfectly good things that you just never seem to put on) garments and accessories. Take home a couple choice finds - or as much as you can carry!

Men, Women, Boys, Girls, anyone in between...

**** Not only that ******

We'll provide DIY stations with sewing machines, artists, and supplies where you can alter, repair and embellish your new finds.

$5 entrance

If you'd like to volunteer at the event (first pick at clothes! homemade cookies! free entrance!) please EMAIL us!

More info:
bostonswap@gmail.com
www.swaporamarama.org/bostonswap.htm
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006 08:59:56 AM by twirl2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikalalovescupcakes
Stop making that big face!

Who?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006 10:05:04 AM »

Ah! I'll be there. Sounds like fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrs. warhol
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006 02:34:24 PM »

eek! the same day as Boston's Pride!
i cannot attend, but have fun ladies and gents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twirl2
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006 10:08:29 AM »

Aw, I know. And the Coolidge Corner artsy-craftsy something fair  Sad   There's just too much going on! The swap is four hours long though, so we're hoping people can pull off multiple activities that day...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse
Best Friends

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...