A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
257 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halterneck 50s style dress with shrug  (Read 20090 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Mangetout
« on: February 10, 2006 08:12:48 AM »

Hello!
I'm fairly new to Craftster - i've been lurking around for a couple of weeks now and i've finally built up enough courage to start my first thread about my very first sewing project!

My close friend is marrying in May, and i wanted to wear a fabulous dress, but one that will flatter my larger-than-average figure.
I'm going to be making McCalls pattern 4286 with a shrug (to cover my hideously fat arms) - McCalls pattern 5006 (the long sleeved one with the ties in front).

What I want to ask though - I would like to have a net skirt underneath the dress to 'poof' it out a bit and make it a bit more 1950s-esque (but still modern...) ....does anyone have any hints or tips about how to do this?
I've got some lovely blue tulle to match the fabric for the dress but i've been staring at it for half an hour now and nothing has come to me  Undecided

Any ideas you have would be very welcome Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006 08:24:36 AM by Mangetout » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sideCRASHcars
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006 08:50:58 AM »

yea this really doesn't help but i have that pattern as well. and want to make it poof as well :]] haven't actually got to it yet because i'm setting up a sewing space in a new and much smaller room. just thought i'd share. <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006 09:17:46 AM »

Hey there,

I'd suggest typing tulle into the search bar above and sift through what comes up. Lots of good tips on how to work with the material. I think you'll find your answer there. Sorry I wasn't more directly helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006 09:39:58 AM »

If you don't want to wing a pattern, try going thru the costume portion of the pattern book.  Frequently, they'll have underskirts in there to go under period costumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006 03:24:53 PM »

Not that I am an expert in sewing, butI am _somewhat_ of an expert in vintage clothing...
One tip I can give is to keep the underskirt "pouff" portion to the lower portion of the skirt only. I have found that the dream of a lovely full puffy skirt is dashed when you put it on and realize that it makes you look two times your actual size. It works best for me (big butt and thighs) if I keep the hips and waist somewhat fitted and have tulle (or pouff of choice) from the knees down. You'll end up with more of an hourglass effect that way. If it is pouff fullness all the way down it just emphasises the thickness in the middle - really badly!  Shocked
I hope my 2 cents helps you avoid a nighmare!
RRR
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Being cool is not a competition - It's a cause!!" ~ me

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
MirrorfortheSun
artsycraftygeek

I'm a frosted lemon coward.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006 08:45:33 PM »

I agree with nixing the poofiness around the waist.  One thing you can do is use the pattern you already have-- it seems that the halter dress consists of skirt, belt-like midsection, and halter top?  Use the skirt portion to make a skirt of netting.  You could make the first top foot or two of it from muslin or something else fairly thin, and then hem the netting to that, and have an effective underskirt that matches the size of the dress...

Sorry if I haven't explained that right.  I'm sure there have to be some better terms to describe it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

find me:
tricotage brumeux - knitting & crafts
@ livejournal - diary
@ myspace - music and networking
Mangetout
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006 09:20:32 AM »

That's really helpful, thank you all.
I'm going to do what you suggest and not make the full skirt from netting - just the bottom section.
I'll try muslin around the top Smiley

Thank you!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006 09:49:30 AM »

You could make a crinoline style skirt to wear under it (and possibly other pieces). I have one from the 50's that is fairly fitted and straight skirt cut(and is a muslin type material like Mirrorforthesun wisely suggested) and then the bottom has two layered tiers of heavy tulle that start at around 2" above the knee that are sewn to the fitted skirt. Where you put the tiers would depend on the lenght of the skirt, but you get the idea.  I totally expect to see pix of the finished product! RRR
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Being cool is not a competition - It's a cause!!" ~ me

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
nushybum
nushybum the magnificent

Masquerade!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006 09:55:44 AM »

Wow - gorgeous dress!

About the tulle skirt.

I'm going to be making Burda 8174 (http://www.burdamode.com/8174_Dress,1270778-1172169-1172177-1156859,enEN.html), View C (http://www.burdamode.com/8174_Dress_Detailed_View,1000017-1270778-1172169-1172177-1156859-1156866-1156868,enEN.html;jsessionid=75BD6300B72C85DCA0E0EF0A7D0D32EF) for my Textiles GCSE exam.

I've looked at the pattern, and skirt portion, with the tulle, is an outer skirt. Then there is a lining, which is about 12" shorter, with tulle gathered & attatched to it.

Does that help a little? (Basically, there's only tulle at the bottom.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006 11:05:23 AM by nushybum » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shock Paper Scissors - a modern magazine for contempory crafters

Magic Fingers - a craft blog
actoneends

I don't want to be an adult.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006 10:57:06 AM »

that burda dress is exactly what you want to do...

i'd say everyone has the right idea... just make a similar skirt in a really light fabric and about 8 inches of tulle...  for the underskirt, use the original skirt pattern, just shorten it, and sew it in with the outer skirt layer.

for the tulle... if you want a lot, do it in more  sections, but that might be a bit overboard.   what i would do is:

-cut 4 pieces of tulle that are 8 inches high and the length of the tulle you had cut...  the longer it is, the more body it will have... i'd do a yard and a half or two yards (just a warning, this much tulle is super annoying to work with, but worth it)
-along the long edge, baste stitch two pieces of tulle together- -leave your end threads long
-pull the back thread and scootch the tulle over, to scrunch it. 
-when that piece of tulle fits half way around the bottom of your underskirt, stop scrunching. 
-sew over your baste stich so that your scrunching will stay in place.
-do this to the remaining pieces of tulle
-sew together short ends of tulle
-attach sewn end of tulle to underskirt, with your side seems on the side
-look pretty in your pretty dress!

it's a really pretty pattern.  i'd love to see a pic when you finish! good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href="http://www.myspace.com/thatjennagirl">Find me on MySpace and be my friend!</a>
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...