A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
335 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halterneck 50s style dress with shrug  (Read 20088 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Mangetout
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006 08:43:51 AM »

You guys are so seriously helpful....I really can't say thank you enough  Smiley

Update!
I rang my mum (my doyenne of all things both sewing and curvy) and she suggested taking the skirt apart and converting it into an A-line.... to quote said doyenne - 'well of course it looks odd - a gathered skirt will make you look pregnant, love, with your tummy'  Roll Eyes

So the plan tonight is to unpick all my careful slipstitching  Cry

Disclaimer: No meat juice has been involved in the making of this dress....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006 09:03:33 AM »

you are so funny. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ms.cate
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006 08:54:56 PM »

You just reminded me, I had to lose the gathered skirt and take it in also as I looked mega preggers in the dress the way it was on pattern (damn misleading drawing).

If I make it again i wouldnt do quite so much basting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mangetout
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006 02:23:01 AM »

you are so funny.

Kiss Thank you! Grin

You just reminded me, I had to lose the gathered skirt and take it in also as I looked mega preggers in the dress the way it was on pattern (damn misleading drawing).

It is a misleading drawing isn't it?!!
When I think of how long it took me to get the gathers right in the first place...  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006 02:24:36 AM by Mangetout » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsclarent42

1 of my 9 gerbils, Ruby! She is 2 weeks old.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006 12:38:16 AM »

If you'd like to make a little bit of pouf but not so much like a ballgown, I'd suggest just folding the tulle to make some gentle pleats. It'll (should) give you just enough oomph.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Toast.
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006 11:41:53 PM »

oh! oh!
I've just found this thread. I reallly hope you still plan to post pictures of the finished dress! : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

libragirl
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2006 11:01:47 PM »

I hope this is not too late....but I just made a 50's style dress with a A-line bottom....try Simplicity 4581
it is really pretty on and nice for a curvy 50's look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my etsy shop
www.thecraftorium.etsy.com
stretchy_elastic_band
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006 09:14:22 PM »

It has probably already been said, but I am going to throw my 2 cents in anyways.  If you do make a tulle skirt for underneath, don't attach all the tulle at only the waist band, because then, you will have HUGE poof at the waist and nothing at the bottom (unless you want that) the first tulle skirt that I made ended like that, and was horribly unflattering. thankfully i cut it up and make other stuff out of it.  Anyways, I'd say make a sort of slip type thing that you can attach tulle onto, adding more the further you get to the bottom, so that you get and even full flare.  Anyhoo, good luck with the dress. Over and out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiger got to hunt, Bird got to fly.
Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why.
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land.
Man got to tell himself he understands.
Mangetout
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2006 05:59:59 AM »

The dress...erm...didn't exactly go as planned Sad  It looked horrible, so i changed the skirt for the skirt out of another pattern, but ended up measuring wrong and so cut the skirt too small.  It made me look *awful*

I think, basically, I started too big when I should've started smaller...so I put it to one side and have been playing around making simpler things for a while.

I am determined that it won't beat me though!  So i do plan on picking it up again...but just maybe in a couple of months time once i've had more practice  Embarrassed  (and have bought some more fabric!!)

Thank you all for your great advice though, its much appreciated  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2006 08:03:53 PM »

I just wanted you to know, Mangetout, that I am really glad you posted this even if your dress is going to be sidelined for a while. I just bought some fabric to make myself a similar dress and I've already learned a lot from reading this thread. Good luck on your sewing projects and thanks for starting this topic!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...