A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 315,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
245 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Visting Dallas  (Read 2734 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftgirl_sampson
« on: February 09, 2006 04:28:36 PM »

As you might know that bombardier meeting are being hosted in dallas. As me and my mom are going i would like to know if there any craft coffe shops ( where you go and knit or crochet.) or any neat craft stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to to personal swaps  Smiley Tongue

Check out Aroha trip to Canada
http://arohameetstheworld.piczo.com/?cr=6
helmine
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006 09:45:49 PM »

The best yarn shops in Dallas are:

The Shabby Sheep on Boll Street
2110 Boll Street, Dallas, TX 75204 214-953-0331 shabbysheep@sbcglobal.net

Passion Knit in Snyder Plaza near Southern Methodist University
6817 SNIDER PLAZA
DALLAS, TX 75205  214-520-2285   214-520-2286 (fax)

Yarn N' Stitches
206 SPANISH VILLAGE
DALLAS, TX 75248   972-239-9665

The Woolie Ewe in Plano (a city just a few miles north of Dallas)
1301 Custer Road, #328, Plano, TX 75075 800-460-yarn

If you have time, you might want to check out Apple Leef Farm, a small fibre farm some miles north of Dallas, which often has weekend things for spinners, plus a shop with great prices on locally grown and spun materials, wheels, knitting + spinning supplies, etc.
http://appleleeffarm.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
helmine
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006 09:50:10 PM »

Also, feel free to hang out with our knitting group, which meets Friday nights from about 7:30pm to 12-1am in the lobby bar of the Crowne Plaza Suites Park Central, 7800 Alpha Road. We'd love to see you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006 08:55:27 AM »

you must hit the woolie ewe.  the amount of yarn they have is overwhelming!  most of the people who work there are yarn snobs though, so whatever you do, do not breathe the word "acrylic."  i made the mistake of asking about acrylic yarns, eek.  but, the store is usually busy enough that you are free to browse in piece and don't feel obligated to buy anything.  and they will wind your hanks into balls for free.  in the same parking lot there's a "craft mall."  it's not very exciting, but it's there.

if you feel like driving a little farther north (15-20 min) up to the city of frisco aka plano's shopping mecca, you can visit ikea.  (www.ikea.com if you don't know what i'm talking about.  it's a swedish home store, and i like to think of it as the disney world of shopping.)  the last time i was there i noticed they even sell decorator fabrics!  and still at ikea prices!  however, one of the favorite sports of DFW-ites is road construction, and that area of frisco is a disaster at the moment/ the next 20 years.  so, to get to ikea from the woolie ewe: go north on custer.  turn left on hedgecoxe.  get into the right lane asap and stay there because traffic piles up.  turn right on ohio.  try for the left lane.  then you'll cross SH 121.  turn left onto gaylord at the first stop sign.  if you miss it, that's ok too, you can turn left at the next stop sign.  you'll go past the back of the mall or a shopping center.  at the next major street (i can't remember the name, but it's a large intersection and it's bricked) turn left.  turn right onto ikea drive! (it's a little inconspicuous, but there is a little turn lane to lead you there.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftgirl_sampson
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006 02:02:55 PM »

Also, feel free to hang out with our knitting group, which meets Friday nights from about 7:30pm to 12-1am in the lobby bar of the Crowne Plaza Suites Park Central, 7800 Alpha Road. We'd love to see you.

i wish i could go to your knitting group but i'm leaving at 5.30pm on friday. what my luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to to personal swaps  Smiley Tongue

Check out Aroha trip to Canada
http://arohameetstheworld.piczo.com/?cr=6
bijouxmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006 02:59:56 PM »

AHHHH, a new group (for me) I live in the Dallas area &  I'd love to check it out sometime - can anyone come?  What's the vibe like?  I am really anti-stress knitting & i've been to a few groups where people were a bit too rigid in their knitting for me.....I don't mean to be ugly & I'm really a lot of fun - well I think I am!   Grin

Woolie Ewe is my fav! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

AngiR
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006 12:32:16 PM »

So, is this an anyone can drop in thing, or is there some type of secret handshake?  I've been knitting for awhile and am always looking for new friends and people with similar interests.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

helmine
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006 07:51:27 AM »

Hey, hadn't checked this forum in some time, sorry about that.
Yes, anybody is free to drop in on our group-- we love new people, whether they know how to knit, crochet, whatever, or not. Or just want to hang. Our vibe? A lot of us (by no means all) met through  sf/f conventions or ren fairs/amtgard originally. We tend towards over 25, but under 50. Pagans, taoists, methodists, catholics, buddhists, muslim-- we've got a sampling. Most of us have Livejournal accounts, keep up that way. (community: nightknitters) Several computer industry, software consulting people, some stay at home moms escaping from toddlers. We love gardening. We also have pot lucks and field trips-- our group has been meeting for over 2 years.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006 12:57:45 PM by helmine » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Welcome Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...