A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
311 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Heading Towards Veggie  (Read 2560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

cebsme
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006 10:13:01 AM »

I am so happy that local stores are starting to carry more stuff.. My local grocer just started carrying Vegan yougurt in two forms (drinkable and regular).  Its amazing that it took so long since many more people are living, dairy free, vegetarian, and vegan.  Stores are finally starting to get with the program!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006 10:29:52 AM »

I am so happy that local stores are starting to carry more stuff.. My local grocer just started carrying Vegan yougurt in two forms (drinkable and regular).  Its amazing that it took so long since many more people are living, dairy free, vegetarian, and vegan.  Stores are finally starting to get with the program!

Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot the vegan yogurt! It is delicious and even has live cultures. They come in cups, big tubs of plain for smoothies, and those little yogurt shake things (which are my favorite). Look carefully in the yogurt section of your local grocery store, and if it's not there look in the refrigerated natural foods case (if there is one). Silk makes it, and there are some other brands too. Silk also makes a really good carton o' coffee creamer, in plain and french vanilla. I had coffee with some of that, and banana bread made with soymilk for breakfast this morning. :-D And when the holidays come around, don't forget the Silk Nog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tara1979
They Saved My Life...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006 11:50:07 AM »

Wow! All these options Cheesy Thank you all so much! I am hoping to be able to cook a lot better for both hubby and I. Right now we are eating very poorly (good god it's bad sometimes, yuck).

Anyways, I'd like to be able to create meals without meat (since hubby loves his meat, lol), something that will tempt him to eat it and love it, without the meat aspect, lol. He was raised funny - plain mac n cheese with hamburger, or chopped hotdogs, plain hamburgers (meaning ground beef, no spices or flavourings), hotdogs, etc. He hates spicey foods, although I have, over 3 years, uped the amount of spice used successfully without him disliking it. He also will not eat many veggies other than what you can get frozen (although he has tried and liked: hot artichoke dip, squash when blended in soup or stew, sometimes he will eat chick peas in soup, spinach in soup, etc). Basically if I can hide it he will eat it. He hates fish with a passion! He's not big on dairy foods, but we both love cereal (I like toasted cherrio type cereal, he likes honeycomb, lol). He's not big on eating a lot of sweet things, occasionally, but not too often.

I did not know what colorings were made of, eww Sad

Well I am deffinitely going to be spending time on those sites, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Messily

do something pretty while you can

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006 03:05:15 PM »

This is my secret weapon for veggies/vegans/non-dairy peeps... kosher!  For people who keep strict kosher, all meals have to be either completely free of meat or completely free of dairy.  I've found a ton of cooking ideas at kosherblog.net (for example -- discussion of the best non-dairy way to thicken mashed potatoes, reviews of vegetarian meat substitutes, etc.)  There's stuff there that won't apply to you (making kosher cheese, for example), but there are loads of helpful tips in between.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
terracotta
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006 03:13:06 PM »

I could say what loads of other people have said, but I won't.
However, when you do buy fish, make sure if it's salmon that it's not full of coloring, casue whoever processes those things love to go CRAZY with the red dye.
Other than that, everyone else has covered. Good luck  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tara1979
They Saved My Life...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006 03:16:04 PM »

Oh, thank you! I have been thinking a lot about kosher foods lately Wink Actually about a lot of things Smiley Thanks for the link - I am enjoying it now Cheesy

Wow - I didn't realize that salmon was colored Undecided Thanks for the heads up! I personally love whitefish baked with lemon and pepper. Just prices and not knowing much abuot each variety of fish keep me from buying it Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mysteryschool

Awww.. little mamas loves stinky shoes!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006 09:18:23 AM »

Kosher is greqat, they have  a lot higher standards for foods. They allow less bug parts than the FDA.
For burgers, we use marinated portobella mushrooms, yum.  I always love lentils and greens, too. They are both so good for you and really cheap. The lentils have a lot of protien and the greens, such as Kale and collard greens, are full of iron and calcium! They always leave me feeling like my body really got something that it needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tara1979
They Saved My Life...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006 01:20:21 PM »

Ah! Mysteryschool, you have me drooling over lentil soup now Wink I must make some this week Cheesy Yum yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...