A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
257 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I wanna make a scrap book, but...where do you start?  (Read 3473 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
angelofmusic

Cinderella's Castle: from the Rose Garden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006 11:46:03 AM »

Here's what I did (and always do!).
First, decide on a theme (ie vacation, baby photos, Senior year, college days, etc.).  I usually do a book for each vacation.  I have one book, divided by year, for all my college photos and a separate one for my sorority photos.
Next, sort your photos and memorabilia.  Find a box/baggie/scrapbooking pouch/etc. to keep everything in.
When you get ready to start, begin by laying everything out on the table or floor.  Try to organize pages by things that go together.  For example, if it's a vacation scrapbook, organize by state, city, then by site.  Such as Georgia, Atlanta, World of Coke.  Another page (or group of pages) might be Georgia, Atlanta, Olympic Park.  And so on.
You will need some basics to get started.  Don't try to buy everything at once.  I talk more about frugal scrapbooking in another post (https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=80368.msg907563#msg907563).
To start, just buy a good pair of scissors (I recommend Creative Memories All-Purpose Scissors: $4), some acid-free adhesive (I use 3-L Scrapbook Adhesives E-Z Runner - Permanent: $5-$6), some acid-free paper in neutrals, colors, and patterns to compliment your photos, and a photo-album (either a binder type with acid-free plastic page inserts or the post bound kind, I've used both and like them equally well).  I also highly recommend a good trimmer for scrapbook.  Either the paper-cutter type or the straight type.  I have the 12" Ultimate Craft Rotary Paper Trimmer which is fabulous but expensive: $40-$45.  For a cheaper alternative, I've used 12" Portable Paper Trimmer: $20-$25, with good results (though edges can be slightly wavy...not really noticeable unless you are an uber-perfectionist like me!)
I've tried lots of different tools/brands and have found what I REALLY like, so I'm always giving out my recommendations.
You might also want to invest in a good set of shape templates for cropping.  I own three kinds.  The little flimsy plastic ones are pretty cheap, but I find them difficult to use.  Fiskars shape-cutting system is good for weird shapes and fancy edgings.  My favorite for basic shapes is the Creative Memories Custom Cutting System (tried it at a crop once and bought it that same night!).  I also have a bunch of edging scissors with the fancy cuts.  All mine, except one pair are Fiskars, but the other brands work just as well.  I happen to have Fiskars because I got them at a JoAnn's 80% going out of business sale, so they were less than $1 each.
You can add embellishments later or use crafty stuff you already have like FarAboveRubies suggested.  As for embellishing, I like to finish my entire scrapbook of basic layouts, then take the book to the crop-shop and purchase embellishments for the pages.  This way the entire book flows but each page is still a work of its own!
Notice that I did not say the paper you buy must match the photos.  It must COMPLIMENT them.  Take two or three pages worth to the scrapbook/craft store (like aromano101 suggested) and lay them out on different papers to see what you like best.  I like to put a neutral/solid color in the back, then use other colors/patterns to add to the page.  Occaisionally, I'll use a pattern as the background then mat my photos, but not often.
Always lay stuff out before you begin to cut.  Make a game plan either in your mind or sketched on a piece of scratch paper.  I would also suggest looking through idea books/magazines like Lollygaggle did.  I've been known to stand in Hobby Lobby/Hastings looking through the monthly issues of scrapbook magazines with no intention to buy, just to get layout ideas.  Colleen123 makes a good point.  You should use layout examples for ideas and inspiration, but not copy them exactly.  Otherwise you are just making a clone-book, not a scrap-book!  My solution to this has been to get the idea from a magazine/book/website/TV, study it for a few minutes, then never look at it again!  I wait a day or two (sometimes longer) and then sketch out a picture of what I remember from the layout (I have an old spiral bound notebook I do this in!).  Then later, I can refer to the idea when I'm cropping, but I'm not copying exactly.  (I have problems with seeing an idea, then not being able to transfer, say a birthday party layout to my own Christmas page, because I can't get the original context out of my mind.  The "look, ignore, sketch, transfer" (LIST) method I invented and just described works great for this!)
This is how I got started cropping and I still use these methods.
If you have any other questions, or if I left something out, please ask!  Hope this helps!  Sorry so long!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 11:48:58 AM by angelofmusic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"
Meal Prep Monday: Crockpot White Chili with Chicken

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...