A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 315,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
229 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Am I knitting this right??  (Read 518 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

jensven1017
« on: January 20, 2006 06:10:27 PM »

Ok, I was just looking at the scarf I just made and I'm not sure if I did it right. I used size 11 needles and two yarns together. So when I pull on the scarf to make it a little longer it has these rows in it. Here is a photo of what I'm taking about:

See how there are "lines"  I thought that when you just did knit stitch it was smooth and flat? Is it just because I used a large needle or did I do something else. I hope I'm explaining this right. IF you have any ideas or advice, I would love it. Thanks!
Jennifer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why is it that I can no longer buy anything that has a slight chance I could make it myself? Even if I don't know how to make it, or it's cheaper to buy...I can no longer buy it because "I could make that myself".
SeeMe

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006 06:16:49 PM »

Well, when you do just the knit stitch, you get those bumpies. But when you knit one row and purl the next, then it is smooth and flat. It's perfectly normal --don't worry. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog Wist
Would like to swap for broken (torn) dollar bills! I have an idea and don't want to use "good" money!
"They aleady have a soda like that. It's called Soylent Cola."
"How is it?"
"Eh, varies from person to perso
killerdaisy
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006 06:17:52 PM »

no, when you just use a knit st, you get something called garter stitch, which looks like little bumps - smiles & frowns over & over

if you want something to be flat & look like little v's you'll need to knit & purl on alternating rows. this will cause the edges to curl if you use only stockinette stitch (alternating knit one row, purl next row, knit, purl, etc). if you don't want the edges to curl, you'll have to use a border

check the FAQ at the very top of this thread for more
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jensven1017
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006 09:27:10 AM »

Thanks for the help. I've started a new scarf with one row of knit and one row of purl and it looks just right. It's curling a little but not to bad, I think because of it being a narrow scarf it will look cute if it curls up or not. Thanks again for the tips,
Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why is it that I can no longer buy anything that has a slight chance I could make it myself? Even if I don't know how to make it, or it's cheaper to buy...I can no longer buy it because "I could make that myself".
Necia
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006 10:10:45 AM »

Jens,

I ditto all the replies above.  However I wanted to add my 2cents.  In my humble opinion, the scarf is stockinette stitch (k 1 row, p 1 row) is going to drive you crazy.  Stockinette rolls just to much, to make a great scarf.  If you want yours to be more flat, why not try k2p2 ribbing.  I think you're going to find your current scarf rolling a lot to be considered a scarf. Just my opinion.

Necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: St. Patrick's Day Wreath
March 13, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Wrap Front Top

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...