A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
384 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ratty crafts?  (Read 3353 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
crochet hooker12
« on: January 18, 2006 06:03:58 PM »

I recently (recently as in a month ago) was given another ratty friend! His name is Sebastian and I love him very much.

There I am with him.

I was wondering what kind of ratty crafts were out there. I really want to make him something.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mowing your lawn is against nature!" Rufus' response to Rev. Sheldon's comment about homosexuality being against nature
dooney
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006 03:10:49 PM »

I take tissue boxes and stuff them with cut-up shirts. They love to tunnel, pull the shirts out, rearrange them, sleep on them...

I also put treats inside a tp tube and fold the ends in so they have to work at getting the treats.

I've heard some rats like little stuffed friends, but mine don't really care much for them.

I stuff old socks with stuffing (the stuffed animal kind, not the food kind) and treats, and hang them from the ceiling of the cage

Then there's always the hammock.

Also, my girls love the snuggle sack. I made a basic sack shape (fold over a rectangle, sew two sides), and put a cardboard circle (like the top of a pringles can) around the opening, folded the fabric back and hand sewed it around the cardboard. Though, they like to pee in them  Angry

They are super smart and love anything that's a challenge. They'd also love a wooden nestbox if you've got the room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dooney
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006 03:12:15 PM »

ooh, and they love to dig! a cake pan full of dirt (clean stuff) with some treats buried in it would be an awesome playtime activity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crochet hooker12
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006 06:30:57 PM »

Thanks for the awesome ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mowing your lawn is against nature!" Rufus' response to Rev. Sheldon's comment about homosexuality being against nature
Chelsea
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006 04:45:41 PM »

Three posts about rats now. It's almost painful. I want to get more SO badly! Those are awesome ideas too.  I hadn't discovered craftiness when I had my rats, so they had boring stuff.  (aww, now I feel guilty).   It's been a while since we had some, I know my husband absolutely adores them, but he hates that they only live a couple of years and all of ours ended up with tumors so he kind of avoids seeing them at pet stores because he also can't bear to leave without taking every single animal  Smiley

I remember getting them so long ago that one time the pet store person brought out FROZEN ones!  And another time when we were picking out live ones, they asked us what kind of snake we had.  Sad 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dooney
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006 06:33:14 PM »

It isn't fair that they don't live very long. It's hard to see them go, isn't it?
One time at the pet store, we didn't want the "pet" rat they had on display (we wanted a pair of babies), so we asked what the difference was between feeders and pets. The lady said the pretty ones get to be pets (sold for $2 more), and the rest are feeders. I was appalled. We picked three babies, and on the box, the lady wrote "3 pet rats" meaning we paid $6 more for not feeding them to a snake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

longstory
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006 03:39:54 PM »

My sweetie is a feeder rat too!  but he was free Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A guy walks up to me and asks 'What's Punk?'. So I kick over a garbage can and say 'That's punk!'. So he kicks over the garbage can and says 'That's Punk?', and I say 'No that's trendy!' Billie Joe Armstrong
minouette
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006 04:31:55 PM »

A friend of mine built the "Rat Palace" for her rats. It was a large (about a metre high and 30 cm wide and a meter long) castle shaped structure/cage from chicken wire. It had various things for them to climb and play on. It was quite something. You have to be careful with the wire, because even the friendliest rat might attempt to escape from a cage with large enough holes in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
Ellyloo
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006 05:25:14 AM »

in the summer time, i filled a shallow tupperware dish with some water and then sprinkled rice krispies on top.  The snap crackle pop was irresistable and they spent quite a while fishing. (it's also a trick if you do'ht think they're drinking what they should be.... the krispies soak up the water, and they scarf the krispies...)

If it's REALLY hot (and no air) I dumped frozen peas in.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultraviolet
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006 07:12:18 AM »

I make hammocks for mine (there's a thread here somewhere called "Rat Hammock" with one that I made being modeled by Beatrice (RIP)). There are some good patterns online if you just google rat hammock patterns or something to that effect.

Also, you can build little play structures for their cage (or for outside-of-cage playtime). I bring small boxes home from work and cut door holes and tape the boxes together for multilevel hidey areas.

I agree that tumors suck. My poor little Comet has had 3 tumor surgeries (each of which removed more than one tumor) but she recovered quickly and is now 2 years 4 months old and still going strong Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...