A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 311,858
Currently Running With Scissors:
342 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Crochet Olympics Official Thread  (Read 15292 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 17, 2006 02:36:53 PM »

Ok guys here it is; let's do this semi-orderly ok?
Post yourself and a brief level you feel you are. Then post your project. If we have creative blocks, let's keep the banter on the discussion page, and only the actual Olympic-a-long here OK? Of course the usual crochet-a-long encouragement, diet and training techniques and other Olympic Team business is welcome!
Here's the discussion;
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=74383.0

Go ahead and read the Knit Olympics link for the rules
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=74324.0

Here's the official rules from the original thread for the knitting Olympics.

The 2006 Knitting Olympics

Eligibility: Any knitter who, embracing the "Citius, Alitius Fortius" ideal, would like to challenge themselves while embracing the Olympic spirit, and is just whacked enough to play along with me.

Concept: You must cast on a project during the Opening Ceremonies of the Winter Olympics (Feb 10)- and finish before the Olympic flame goes out (Feb 26). That's 16 days.

Rules:
1. The project must be a challenge for you to complete in 16 days.
2. There are no rules about what a challenge would be. Like the real Olympics, there are many areas to compete in. If you are a new knitter, then a garter stitch baby sweater might do...If you are experienced, well. I've already considered Torino. Use your own conscience.
3. While this is intended to be somewhat difficult (like the Olympics) it is not intended to ruin your life. Don't set yourself up for failure. (Olympic athletes may cry, but they do not whine pitifully, sob and threaten members of their family with pointed sticks because they haven't slept in five days. ) This is intended to (like the Olympics) require some measure of sacrifice, and be difficult, but it should be possible to attain.
4. No casting on before the flame is lit.
5. Finish before the flame goes out.
6. You may swatch before the games. (I consider this "training.")

Medals?
The Knitting Olympics has only a gold medal. (There is only do- or do not.) Finishers get a gold medal button for their blog, their name entered into a draw for a chance at a prize from me, and the joy of knowing that they are an Olympic level knitter, no matter how experienced they are. You are only competing against yourself. (Well. And the Olympic schedule.)

-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Maybe we can come up with a gold medal for crocheters blogs too!?! Anyone?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013 07:22:53 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
razorsharp

rely a bit too heavily on alcohol and irony.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006 07:51:30 PM »

I'm in!

Daniella Cortez
Beginner
Granny square blanket for the cat, measuring probably six by eight squares so a total of 48 squares. I've never done a single granny square before, so this will certianly be a challenge. I'm confident I can do it! (and use up my ugly stash yarn in the process since it's for the cat.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

design. dye. knit. spin. sip.
lilepad
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006 09:06:33 AM »

I'm a novice, I guess?
I'd like to make an afghan using up a lot of the yarn I got from my grandma (I have 2 large tubs  STUFFED full!). I'm looking at a couple scrap blanket patterns and trying to choose one. (I'd be willing to take suggestions if anyone has a good pattern) I'd love to learn a new stitch in process too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrfchic
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006 09:09:49 AM »

I'm a novice, I guess?
I'd like to make an afghan using up a lot of the yarn I got from my grandma (I have 2 large tubs  STUFFED full!). I'm looking at a couple scrap blanket patterns and trying to choose one. (I'd be willing to take suggestions if anyone has a good pattern) I'd love to learn a new stitch in process too.
I am thinking of making a sampler blanket.  If you go to http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com, just go to the pattern directory... there are sections for 6, 7, 8, and 12" squares. You could do each square in different colors, and learn lots of different patterns too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
lilepad
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006 09:17:56 AM »

I am thinking of making a sampler blanket.

That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing Smiley There were some really fun ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenfullmoon
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006 11:40:52 AM »

I'm taking a crochet class during the Olympics, so I have to sign up for this one.

At this point, anything I do in crochet will be challenging since I haven't done much beyond iPod holders or flowers or something else little in ages. That makes it easier, right? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006 12:55:43 PM »

My name is Beth and I'd guess that I'm at an intermediate level.  I'm really into fibers and recycled yarn right now.  I've got all these sweaters that I'd like to pull apart, and reuse.  I also want to felt something really badly.  I'm thinking a structured handbag, maybe felted, maybe not.  I've got to get started pulling apart these sweaters and getting my dye on.  I assume it's ok to go ahead and do that, I don't have to wait for the torch do I? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006 01:18:53 PM »

Ok, I think that the challenge is what you can get done in 16 days... if your event is in the prepping category, then by all means wait for the torch. But if you are really wanting the challenge of making a new sweater or bag out of that recycled yarn, then start froggin! I say the true Olympian is one who has been training and knows their limits, and maybe couldn't finish the whole ripping and crocheting in 16 days but maybe in 18... Then my friend, that would be an Olympic Feat! And finishing that in 16 days would be worth the Gold!!!

I have decided that I am going to get 20 snowflakes done in the allotted time. I plan to string them together and make a beautiful garland for my fireplace for Christmas. My challeng includes a handicap, I have two SMALL children, a 2 1/2 YO and a 16 mo. I currently in two swaps, and I work 16 hours a week. So I feel that if I can get 20 snowflakes done in 16 days that would be an OLYMPIC FEAT!!!

Good luck everyone!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006 01:19:35 PM »

I've signed on to the knitting event already. For crochet, I will attempt a pattern I tried at the end of the summer and could not get...It's scalloped in-the-round handwarmers.  Sounds small, but I suck at following patterns like this so for me it's a challenge. Have any other areas posted Olympic events? I so want to be a Tri-Craft-Lete.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006 01:49:01 PM »

My challeng includes a handicap, I have two SMALL children, a 2 1/2 YO and a 16 mo. I currently in two swaps, and I work 16 hours a week. So I feel that if I can get 20 snowflakes done in 16 days that would be an OLYMPIC FEAT!!!

I can top that (not that it's a contest)!  I have a two and a half year old too, and a 2 month old (although he'll be almost 3 months by the time the Olympics start.  And I work 40 hours a week.  If I even remember that I'm supposed to be doing this, that would truly be an Olympic Feat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Curtain Rods
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...