A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,263
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Crochet Olympics Official Thread  (Read 15497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Dace
Stitchy bitch

Making, learning, and making some more...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006 01:02:20 AM »

Like LadyBeBop, this is my first post on Craftster Cheesy I thought I'd fling myself into the thick of it...

I'm Dace, and I only recently took up crochet (er... Two weeks ago?) But I've taken to it like.... like... Something that takes to things really well! I'd consider myself an advanced beginner - I've already completed some coasters, a few snowflake motifs, a jug cover, some little juggling balls and a hat. I've started another hat and a skirt too - I'm hooked on crochet!

*looks awkward. A tumbleweed rolls by*

So yeees...

For the Craftster Crochet Olympics I shall be making.... Some fingerless gloves! Probably. Am I allowed to change my mind later?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hjo101
Lost in a sea of yarn

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006 03:11:14 AM »

i'm going to go with a granny square blanket. i have never made a square befor so this should be interesting. i was thinking of makeing a cool patter with a couple different colors and patters. i can't wait for the tourch to be lit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006 11:14:51 AM »

For the Craftster Crochet Olympics I shall be making.... Some fingerless gloves! Probably. Am I allowed to change my mind later?

Yes, it is OK to change events before the torch is lit, but you will have to have that decision made by 2pm local time, that is the official start time.I would train in the different areas that you think you might want to perform in so you can be prepared. Look at patterns, make sure you understand all the symbols and terminology, and of course have plenty of yarn on hand! You never know when you might blow out a hook or have a bad batch of yarn. Those things along with weather are considered uncontrollable factors and a part of the challenge.

i'm going to go with a granny square blanket. i have never made a square befor so this should be interesting. i was thinking of makeing a cool patter with a couple different colors and patters. i can't wait for the tourch to be lit!

hjo~ what kind of training are you going to do? You may prcatice a few squares for color and guage and also decide how many squares you will need to complete your project! Math and guaging, as well as color decisions and new stitches or concepts may be a part of your training program as well as a part of your overall event. Please people be prepared!!! I can not stress how much time might be wasted with a late night trip out for icecream. Just ahve a few pints on hand, and make sure you have a cozy to keep your hands from freezing!!!
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=66655.0  if you need inspiration or a training project check this out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
lilepad
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006 03:37:54 PM »

Button button who has the button??

I do!! I do!!
http://www.prairiegeeks.com/2/COyarn.jpg

Feel free to add this to your blogs or wherever you want to proudly proclaim your participation in this Crochet Olympics 2006!!

In order for you to use this button, you will need to upload it to your own image hosting site (photobucket or whatever you use). I have added it to my blog and am linking back to this thread.

Please let me know if you have any questions or problems. PM me if you need some trouble-shooting help and I'll do what I can to help.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013 07:23:25 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006 03:56:18 PM »

Doood that is sweet!!! Thanks! I can't wait to post it for everyone to see that I am seriously officially in training!!! Off to figure that out....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

yep
Ezri_B
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2006 02:19:17 PM »

Oh, how exciting!!!! I wanna join to!

Ok, I'm Tab, I'm an advanced beginner. I learned how to crochet in the round, and have a really hard time crocheting back and forth (normal way)

I am going to be making a felted handbag. Not sure what type of design or anything to go on it (open to suggestions.) I will be crocheting in navy wool with my secondary color being natural.  I don't know if I'll get the  handles and such attatched and have the whole bag finished. But I will get the crocheting part done (I hope!) And I am planning on getting the felting done too. And oh, I'm even hoping to get the lining done.

Now the waiting....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest- http://pinterest.com/ezrib/

Looking to increase my 1.5 in scraps for a rainbow project. If interested in swapping let me know!
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006 03:14:07 PM »

Oh, how exciting!!!! I wanna join to!

Ok, I'm Tab, I'm an advanced beginner. I learned how to crochet in the round, and have a really hard time crocheting back and forth (normal way)

I am going to be making a felted handbag. Not sure what type of design or anything to go on it (open to suggestions.) I will be crocheting in navy wool with my secondary color being natural.  I don't know if I'll get the  handles and such attatched and have the whole bag finished. But I will get the crocheting part done (I hope!) And I am planning on getting the felting done too. And oh, I'm even hoping to get the lining done.

Now the waiting....

I think you could do a simple piece of crocheted fabric in a long rectangle, making allowances for a flap that can fold over (maybe incorporate a button enclosure), maybe think about how you could make a bottom to your bag, like for instance, get a strip of (plexiglass/recycled plastic container/wood or heavy cardboard) something to make the bottom more square and flat, and maybe even a way to keep it in place, and you could do handles/strap in any way, but I would make it as wide as you want the bottom (like say 24 stitches) and then make it like a million rows. And sew that piece starting from one side up the bag then down teh other side and this becomes the sides of the bag and the strap/handles all at the same time. Clear as mud? Do I think too much??? Sorry~   Embarrassed

Ok, now TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yep
fudderduds
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006 01:20:56 AM »

Hey, I'm Drew, I guess I'm an advanced beginner.  I've made a few hats and a couple amigurumi for friends, but nothing else.  Okay, so I've been thinking about what I think I could actually do in 16 days....and come up with some options.  1) A recycled grocery bag bag [I've tried one at least three times before giving up because the bag "yarn" drives me nuts] 2) as many amigurumi as I can make, shoot for 5 OR 3) as many hats as I can make

I'm not trying to one-up or even try to complain, BUT...I'm a college student with a tough course load and about 10-20 hours of homework a week plus class time....so I'm hoping that I can get this done but the outlook is unclear.

BTW, I'm working on a USA Crochet Olympics Men's Team button if there are any other guys who'd want one.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilepad
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006 07:56:27 AM »

I'm not trying to one-up or even try to complain, BUT...I'm a college student with a tough course load and about 10-20 hours of homework a week plus class time....so I'm hoping that I can get this done but the outlook is unclear.

You can do it! You'll need study breaks Wink I'm sure there aren't many of us who don't have other "distractions" and that makes it even more of a challenge!

Start making your "yarn" now for the recycled grocery bag bag so all you have to do is hook hook hook!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyBeBop
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2006 01:51:49 PM »

Start making your "yarn" now for the recycled grocery bag bag so all you have to do is hook hook hook!

You can also try to get ahead in your classes.  Maybe you can read a few chapters ahead, and do the homework.

To everyone...best thing to do is to get ahead in what needs to be done.  Do a through housecleaning the week before the Olympics, so all you have to do is an occasional dusting.  Make meals ahead, then freeze them, so you won't have to spend that much time cooking.  Maybe even stock up on paper plates and cups so you won't have to do much dishwashing (although my hubby would frown upon that.  We have a running joke in the family...everytime I use a paper plate, that kills another California redwood).   Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse
Best Friends

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...