A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
328 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: soldering help? what is neutralizer?  (Read 1946 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
bigeyes
« on: January 15, 2006 09:02:04 PM »

I found detailed soldering directions for the microscope slide pendants, but the last step says to neutralize the soldered area so it doesn't corrode. 

Um....how?   What is the neutralizing solution, and how do I get it?

And....wouldn't you have to wait until it cooled so you didn't crack the glass by putting the pendant in liiquid?

Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
tvtrayart
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006 11:49:42 PM »

I'm not sure what that is.  I think that wiping the extra flux off with water would count as neutralizing since that is what would cause corrosion.  I don't dip my pendants into anything.  I just wipe it with a wet cloth to get the extra flux off.  Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mollyx
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006 05:47:40 PM »

The "neutralizer" may be flux cleaner, which you can get at a place that sells soldering supplies. I found mine at a stained glass supply shop.

May I ask where you found detailed soldering instructions? I've searched everywhere, but all I can find are instructions on how to solder precious metals with a torch. I'm trying to solder coated steel with a soldering gun. All I've ever soldered before are electronics where appearance isn't really important.

And, yes, the glass needs to cool first. It should only take a small amount of time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tvtrayart
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006 07:23:05 PM »

http://scrapalatte.net/how_to_solder.html

Try this.  It really helped me.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006 09:18:04 PM »

I can't for the life of me recall where I found it, but i would be happy to scan it and send it to you.  I printed the page from the computer and it didn't print the URL on the page. 

It looks like I need to get flux remover and tip tinner.  I'm noticing my soldering tips are trashed after just a couple of items are completed.

I also found that the lead free, very fine, rosin core solder I got at Sears worked  better than anything I've tried, and requires no flux.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

tvtrayart
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006 09:32:27 PM »

How long did a roll last you?  i.e. how many pendants could you do with the lead free rosin core stuff and did it smell worse than the other stuff?

I definitely need tip tinner.  I chickened out of buying it at Radio Shack because of all the health warnings on it.  I have a 5 year old and really don't want to expose him to anything more than I have to.  I only solder at night when he's asleep though so I don't think he get much exposure.  I think you probably need to use a mask when you use the tip tinner, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006 08:05:00 AM »

It looks like I'll get 4 or 5 out of each coil.   

The smell isn't any worse to me, but it's odd.  I swear it smells like pot!

Between the size of the coil and my new flat solder tips, the process is so much easier and the results are nicer looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mollyx
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006 02:59:20 PM »

http://scrapalatte.net/how_to_solder.html

Try this.  It really helped me.   

Thanks! I actually went to that page a few times in search of soldering instructions but always got distracted by something awesome but totally not related to soldering. That site is making my wallet cry.

BigEyes,  I just PM'ed you with my email address.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...